G Parks: The cold, hard truth about the hurdles facing XFL 3.0

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: G Parks: The cold, hard truth about the hurdles facing XFL 3.0

Post by Firecop »

Greg, I have to agree totally with FootballYoda; yours was a totally tough read but very honest. I guess my biggest hope is not to be disappointed AGAIN for a third time. I really believe in the concept of Spring Football but this maybe the last gasp for a very long time. It was such a refreshing change from the NFL that I'd hate to see it all go into the ash heap of failed leagues. Great writing!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Firecop wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:22 pm Greg, I have to agree totally with FootballYoda; yours was a totally tough read but very honest. I guess my biggest hope is not to be disappointed AGAIN for a third time. I really believe in the concept of Spring Football but this maybe the last gasp for a very long time. It was such a refreshing change from the NFL that I'd hate to see it all go into the ash heap of failed leagues. Great writing!
Thank you. I think that is a delicate balance all XFL fans have to manage: The desire to be excited versus the reality of having been stung twice already.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I think the key to a possible 2021 return is how bad of a shape this country is in terms of the pandemic. There's the strong possibility of half a million Americans dead by the end of the year. Can the new ownership secure testing for everybody? Coaches, players, front office staff and TV broadcasters will all need to be tested and cleared. The league could also need more than a "Team 9" full of practice game ready players in case of a COVID outbreak among their teams.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:24 pm I think the key to a possible 2021 return is how bad of a shape this country is in terms of the pandemic. There's the strong possibility of half a million Americans dead by the end of the year. Can the new ownership secure testing for everybody? Coaches, players, front office staff and TV broadcasters will all need to be tested and cleared. The league could also need more than a "Team 9" full of practice game ready players in case of a COVID outbreak among their teams.
Why stop there? Why not 2.2 mil?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:24 pm I think the key to a possible 2021 return is how bad of a shape this country is in terms of the pandemic. There's the strong possibility of half a million Americans dead by the end of the year. Can the new ownership secure testing for everybody? Coaches, players, front office staff and TV broadcasters will all need to be tested and cleared. The league could also need more than a "Team 9" full of practice game ready players in case of a COVID outbreak among their teams.
Please... 200k in 6-7 month and 300k more in 3 month? :shock: come on and with a vaccine coming in 1-3 months?

Slow your roll ... 8-)

As far as the XFL - IMO they will be looking to CUT cost and that means team 9 might be team gone with a list of players on call and expected to be ready.

The league will likely look to keep both texas teams and TB as they are warm weather and allow outdoor seating. ST Louis will be next after that not sure. If NJ allows a % of seating at least they may stay in Metlife.

The league may even suspend 2 teams and shorthen the season by 2 games. That would cut costs - eliminate seating issues, likely align better with a TV contract and allow them to ease into 2022. They could use that to get a better contract in 2022 and/or sell an interest to outside investors. If so it likely would be Dallas, Houston, TB, StL, NY and LA or Seattle (which ever w/c team ensure seating or dictated by TV contract).
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:32 pm
Please... 200k in 6-7 month and 300k more in 3 month? :shock: come on and with a vaccine coming in 1-3 months?

Slow your roll ... 8-)

As far as the XFL - IMO they will be looking to CUT cost and that means team 9 might be team gone with a list of players on call and expected to be ready.

The league will likely look to keep both texas teams and TB as they are warm weather and allow outdoor seating. ST Louis will be next after that not sure. If NJ allows a % of seating at least they may stay in Metlife.

The league may even suspend 2 teams and shorthen the season by 2 games. That would cut costs - eliminate seating issues, likely align better with a TV contract and allow them to ease into 2022. They could use that to get a better contract in 2022 and/or sell an interest to outside investors. If so it likely would be Dallas, Houston, TB, StL, NY and LA or Seattle (which ever w/c team ensure seating or dictated by TV contract).
There will be lots of people who will refuse to vaccine.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:01 am
4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Slow your roll ... 8-)

There will be lots of people who will refuse to vaccine.
Most older ( and wiser) people who are the 95% impacted will, why wouldn't they?

Any way, the XFL has to start moving forward ASAP.