XFL: When, what, if? Is the next step?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

XFL: When, what, if? Is the next step?

Post by 4th&long »

OK guys and gals, the XFL was purchased - now what?

What? When? is the next action item for the XFL.

Is this ownership looking to bring in investors? Sell to someone else?

Or take the next action on their own? What will it be? Time is a wasting.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL: When, what, if? Is the next step?

Post by MarkNelson »

They are very tight-lipped, which is probably good strictly for business, but not so good for building hype.

My understanding, based on speaking to highly placed "tight -lipped" individuals, is they are getting everything in order, and then they plan to lead us down a path of "exciting" announcements until they play again... whenever that is. I agree, it is nothing but a tease. But that is what we have.

We can all agree that we just want to get back to the football.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Dany puts on a nice XFL hat and tells you how she was so excited about the XFL she pulled a muscle. There's your news. What more do you want? :lol: :D
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Everything revolves around a start date, and a start date revolves around a broadcast partner. But the Big 10 and Pac 12 playing a 2020 season would bode well for a 2021 XFL season, I'd think.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The Big Ten and Pac 12 may just have changed the landscape altogether, now the MWC and MAC are hinting around at resuming play in late October, leaving (as of now) FCS conferences and lower divs. Why would you hitch your wagon to that? I don't see anybody but maybe ESPN2 putting on North Dakota/NDSU in late April.

What I'd do, granted its more waiting, is go with a late spring start when there's nothing in the way. Traditionally anyway, as I expect the NBA and NHL to have something resembling their post lockout seasons.

It was also announced this week that SDSU will play at "The Dig" while their new stadium is being constructed (so no LA move to SD). If the MWC sticks with the spring that could play into it.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:08 pm They are very tight-lipped, which is probably good strictly for business, but not so good for building hype.

My understanding, based on speaking to highly placed "tight -lipped" individuals, is they are getting everything in order, and then they plan to lead us down a path of "exciting" announcements until they play again... whenever that is. I agree, it is nothing but a tease. But that is what we have.

We can all agree that we just want to get back to the football.
Thx for the info Mark. Let's cross fingers its 2021
XFL2020
Receiver

Post by XFL2020 »

If they plan to play in feb 2021 they need to get started now.

If they plan to rehire their old coaches they need to do it soon. Many of these guys may have moved on. You have to pay the bills.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFL2020 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:36 pm If they plan to play in feb 2021 they need to get started now.

If they plan to rehire their old coaches they need to do it soon. Many of these guys may have moved on. You have to pay the bills.
Keep this in mind:

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/former- ... um=twitter

>>Sam Schwartzstein
@schwartzsteins
·
Sep 17
At the XFL we talked to medical professionals, trainers, strength coaches, coaches, and players and deduced 6 weeks is the minimum amount of time to go Couch to Kickoff.

2 weeks conditioning+walkthrough
1 week acclimation to hitting
2.5 weeks training camp
1 Game week<<

AND

>> The 2020 XFL season kicked off one week after the NFL’s Super Bowl, which was held on February 2nd. If the plan is to mirror that calendar, this year’s Super Bowl is on February 7th. Which means the 2021 season of the XFL wouldn’t begin until the 13th at least.

Last year’s XFL Draft was held on October 15th, which is a month away from the time this went to press. That may have to be moved back, sure, but if six weeks is what we need to get the players ready once they get allocated to their teams, we still have plenty of time to get 2021 planned.

There are things that do need to happen quickly though. Coaches need to be called or found, last year’s players need to be contacted to see whether they still want to play or not, venue leases need to be finalized.

At this point, there are four that we know are at the very least willing to house teams: Dallas, LA, Houston, and Tampa. Tampa did recently file an objection to the assignment of the lease, but that was just because the money wasn’t right. They want $90,000 to move forward. Houston’s total was over $1,000,000, so, I’m certain it’s just a formality.<<

Bottom line its very possible esp if they scale down the season and # of teams for 2021. And hey may want to if the cities and states play games with live attendance & size of TV contract. The 3 southern teams are most likely to be ok with live attendance. After that it might be St Louis. Its very political now but 3 months after the election who knows. But people are over the lockdowns for sure.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Are they starting from scratch? Is the basic structure that Vince McMahon put in place still there for Rock to work from? Or is this gonna be a complete new startup again?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Sounder wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:04 pm Are they starting from scratch? Is the basic structure that Vince McMahon put in place still there for Rock to work from? Or is this gonna be a complete new startup again?
As I understand it, the personnel (except a few executives, namely Basil DeVito and Jeffrey Pollack) are mostly gone, but the basic structure is still there. But most of those personnel are also still available for hire right now and they may end up coming back.

So you won't have to deal with the months of testing, analyzing, and prep work that the league did to get the first season started—you have a rulebook, you have an ownership structure, you have stadium agreements and team names, and you still have the Fox half of the TV deal, for now. It basically comes down to hiring and re-hiring at this point.