The Rock owned XFL needs to address the Elephant in the room: Social Justice

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: The Rock owned XFL needs to address the Elephant in the room: Social Justice

Post by GDAWG »

Firecop wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:54 pm We got so tired of the announcers commenting on the social justice issue during MNF that we just muted them. We'll do the same to the XFL if they follow suit. It is suppised to be "For the Love of Football" and for the fans - at least it was...
They can address social justice without using it for games. They can say it can be a behind the scenes thing.
Tank55
MVP

Re: The Rock owned XFL needs to address the Elephant in the room: Social Justice

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG, what policy would you suggest?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 am GDAWG, what policy would you suggest?
Announce a diverse panel of faces to address these issues head on that affects the people working in the XFL. Donate money to organizations such as LULAC, GLAAD and the NAACP and the Asian American Legal Defense Fund. Make sure that you support the players right to social justice, but at the same time remind them that it should not be a distraction during game days. However, do allow players to address any racial problems to the panel. Encourage players to be involved in the community and help out everybody regardless of race (if they hadn't done so already).

On game days, get rid of the anthems during games and instead play the team fight songs to start off the games. This way, it becomes less about politics and more about football. In fact, if you want a social message during XFL games on the field, why not "fighting cancer?" It's less divisive and if players on teams lock hands during game day it's because they are united in the fight against cancer.

All I am saying is that this issue isn't going away even after the election and if that is the case, the XFL management is going to have to address it once it gets closer to restart. For the league to ignore it once it returns won't look good for the XFL.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I think you're vastly overestimating how much pressure the XFL is going to be under. People get worked up over what the NFL does or doesn't do because they're at the top of the food chain. The XFL can just play football if they want to. If they want to get more actively involved, like the BIG3 has, they can, but I think that's their choice and strategic decision.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

So ya'll want the XFL to just ignore the topic? Every sports league has addressed it and yet the XFL won't? That would be stupid. If they release a quick statement that could be fine and then they can move on to football. They can't ignore it. At least release a short statement. They might get heat for it for not doing enough, but releasing a quick statement condemning racism and supporting diversity and equality for all and then moving on to just focusing on football should be fine for all of us here.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I mean, they can do whatever they want, but I don't think any sane person is going to presume the XFL is in favor of racism unless they put out a statement.

Also, the XFL (the 2020 version, at least) doesn't need to pay lip service to diversity, because it WAS diverse. Black head coaches, black team presidents, female team presidents, etc. And now they have the ownership to match. These other leagues have their PR teams working overtime because they have a lot of baggage to grapple with, the NFL especially. The XFL ought not feel obligated to take that on, IMO. Just keep walking the walk.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:34 pm I mean, they can do whatever they want, but I don't think any sane person is going to presume the XFL is in favor of racism unless they put out a statement.

Also, the XFL (the 2020 version, at least) doesn't need to pay lip service to diversity, because it WAS diverse. Black head coaches, black team presidents, female team presidents, etc. And now they have the ownership to match. These other leagues have their PR teams working overtime because they have a lot of baggage to grapple with, the NFL especially. The XFL ought not feel obligated to take that on, IMO. Just keep walking the walk.
True. But I do think they can gain a lot of good will if they decided to use another social platform for games: fighting cancer. Players can hold hands in support of the fight against cancer. There could be cancer ribbons painted in the end zone or on the 50 yard line. The XFL could gain more goodwill from doing this instead of doing what other leagues have been doing.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:49 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:34 pm I mean, they can do whatever they want, but I don't think any sane person is going to presume the XFL is in favor of racism unless they put out a statement.

True. But I do think they can gain a lot of good will if they decided to use another social platform for games: fighting cancer. Players can hold hands in support of the fight against cancer. There could be cancer ribbons painted in the end zone or on the 50 yard line. The XFL could gain more goodwill from doing this instead of doing what other leagues have been doing.
SJW on BLM is a death sentence for the XFL. It's taking a huge hit to established leagues - learn from that. Ignore it.

Stick to "For the Love of Football" and when it comes up just say those words.... this is for the 'love of FB' and for opportunities of players and coaches to advance their career to NFL or with us. They can slip in there 'We support any off field activities' the players engage in.- Which will be next to nil as the players will be focusing on making it to the next level and not getting cut.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

The XFL could have a lot of goodwill by promoting the fight against Cancer instead. I think that will be great PR for the XFL and better PR than social justice and less divisive because we all want a cure for cancer. We all hate cancer. Cancer has no bias, it can affect people regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation. I have thought about this for a while.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Social Justice policies will be solely on the new owners to come up with. I hope they know this is of high importance, and I suspect they do. I await their announcement of a plan, and the online discussion that will surely follow.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers