What changes do you hope new ownership brings?

XFL Football discussion.
nick1091
Running Back

Re: What changes do you hope new ownership brings?

Post by nick1091 »

I'll add the disclaimer I'm not entirely certain how this would/could be implemented, but I feel like they need some sort of plan or salary construct to make player retention easier.

It's going to be very hard to get mass adoption to the league if fan favorites get established just to have a mass exodus every season. This isn't college where there's intrinsic fandom based on alumni, region, etc.

I mean, I get it, someone like PJ Walker would've been really hard to retain because of his age and the salary/opportunity of even a back-up QB in the NFL, but it'd be nice to at least do what you could to make sure the Jacques Patricks or Donald Parhams pf the world would at least have to consider sticking around.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

nick1091 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:42 pm I'll add the disclaimer I'm not entirely certain how this would/could be implemented, but I feel like they need some sort of plan or salary construct to make player retention easier.

It's going to be very hard to get mass adoption to the league if fan favorites get established just to have a mass exodus every season. This isn't college where there's intrinsic fandom based on alumni, region, etc.

I mean, I get it, someone like PJ Walker would've been really hard to retain because of his age and the salary/opportunity of even a back-up QB in the NFL, but it'd be nice to at least do what you could to make sure the Jacques Patricks or Donald Parhams pf the world would at least have to consider sticking around.
Prior to the season Luck mentioned some sort of bonus system for returning players (I believe the longer the tenure the greater the bonus) but never heard any mention of it once the season got started and haven't found any specifics on it beyond Luck's fleeting reference to it.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:07 pm Prior to the season Luck mentioned some sort of bonus system for returning players (I believe the longer the tenure the greater the bonus) but never heard any mention of it once the season got started and haven't found any specifics on it beyond Luck's fleeting reference to it.
That sounds familiar - I think that talk went away around the same time as the Tiered contracts talk. Instead it became a flexible contract for QB's and everyone else got base plus active/win bonus.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

My understanding is that they were preparing to make a competitive offer to Walker and maybe some others. You need to pick your spots, but I definitely think that's the right move.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I see why but at the same time there's always the NFL elephant in the room. Hell you could go full blast USFL 2.0 and you'd still have guys wondering why you're not there (OSU all Big Ten LB Marcus Marek drafted by the Breakers and Earle Bruce was out there campaigning to get him into the NFL).

Plus you open up too many cans of worms, see UFL transfer fee debacle.

There's a reason why Pete Rozelle told Herschel Walker that they'd see him in three years
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

Well the transfer thing with UFL was really a last gasp to get some cash coming in the door. I’d really hope new ownership wouldn’t do something so disreputable which would also put their ability to sign future players at risk.

I’m not advocating paying what it would take to get a top flight draftable player - guys like a Trevor Lawrence or similar playing XFL at any point in the near future is a pipe dream. I’ve even ok with the base salary for guys in the league’s first year (since everyone playing is pretty much a flier the NFL has passed on.). I think once you play that first year and prove yourself, the league should be able to make a reasonably competitive offer for a select few who’ve performed.

Using the Parham example and last years contract structures, it’s something like 80 at the high end for a champion XFL player vs 660 for a base NFL contract, which isn’t tied into team performance. Who wouldn’t pick door #2? But if you get close to half and sell them on the benefits (shorter season, playing time, almost half of XFL teams play in states with no income tax, etc.) you’ve got a shot.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The transfer fee ain't ever happening again, thank god, which is why you'll never see Mark Cuban (who was a proponent of it) anywhere near the league if it comes to it--and he's such a suckup anyway that tries to be this great all-about-that guy yet he always has some massive fail that's like, oh yeah. Dwayne won't have anything to do with him.

I'm more referring to the beginnings of it, when the Chargers tried to sign Nick Novak, and that's how we found that out. Of course the two playing concurrently is a little different.

I am a proponent of a tiered structure, something along the lines of what the Arena League had back in the NBC era. Of course mass investment and possibly franchise ownership would have to follow.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:54 pm My understanding is that they were preparing to make a competitive offer to Walker and maybe some others. You need to pick your spots, but I definitely think that's the right move.
Consider, though, that there's no assurance that any of the XFL players will make NFL regular season rosters. Almost all of them were preseason castoffs as it was... and with no preseason games, there's not going to be much of a chance to assess players in action against other teams. Expect a lot of continuity, with proven NFL talent, and not a lot of new faces on NFL rosters this year. I'll suspect most XFL players will be back available, should they opt not to go on the expanded practice squads.
4th&long
MVP

No politics ....

Post by 4th&long »

Keep politics OUT of XFL (playing anthem is apolitical). The players won't have the leverage and its hurting the other sports.... keep the woke out.

Focus on Fun entertainment aspect... "For the Love of Football"; people don't want to be scolded by overpaid athletes. Who wants spend their limited free time getting brow beat? NONE

Big opportunity for XFL after what's going on....