College Football Season

XFL Football discussion.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

College Football Season

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Not looking good...
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... l-football

I'm still skeptical how a spring season would work. Surely tons of NFL prospects would sit out the season. I wonder how this would impact other sports. I could see schools scraping their entire academic year's worth of sports since they wouldn't know until the spring semester if they would have football revenue coming in.

Even as a college football fan I feel like if they have to postpone to the spring they're better off just cancelling the entire season. I know that's a lot of money to be punting on but pushing games that far back could have an adverse effect on the 2021 fall season as well.
Last edited by XtremeFanForever on Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GDAWG
MVP

Re: College Football Season

Post by GDAWG »

It could also affect plans the XFL might have had of a bubble for 2021.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Spring is vague, who knows when week 1 would be. Or if they're keeping the ten game conf only model or going back to their standard schedules.

I actually kinda want to see this to counter all the "but spring football......." ninnies, which of course will predictably countered with "yeah but it's an emergency circumstance" :D
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Big Ten season looks DOA.

I guess it doesn't hurt to explore a spring season but it really just seems like more trouble than it's worth.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Wait until 2022 for the XFL to return.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:12 pm Big Ten season looks DOA.

I guess it doesn't hurt to explore a spring season but it really just seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Well the question is where they would do it, and how long they would go.

I would think there's even less of an appetite for beginning the season in February, and no way would they even run against themselves with the Big Ten/NCAA Tournament, granted baseball does the same thing but it's hardly comparable (plus there's only 13, Wisconsin doesn't have baseball)

After the Final Four, there's eight weeks open until the NCAA baseball tournament starts. So probably a six or a seven game uber abbreviated spring season then the title game Memorial Day weekend--spring football except actual games.

So all that said, everything will be done to ensure some form of a season, here's another one: none of these commissioners want shutdown on their legacy, ain't gonna happen.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Plus there's no guarantee that there would be any appreciable improvement in the COVID situation come spring. In fact, these kind of diseases tend to spike worse in the winter than in the summer. Postponing to spring is basically banking on one of two things: 1) vaccines are approved and readily available to the masses, or 2) the restrictions will be lifted out of pure surrender. The second one, which is what SHOULD happen, is not likely.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Well, considering how everything in our lives has to be politicized, who knows what the mood will be like after the presidential election. But I agree -- there's not a lot of good reason to expect things to actually be different barring a vaccine.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

College kids are not impacted by the virus.

Play BALL.

https://covidtracking.com/data

Facts over Fear...
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Put a hold on the Big Ten canceling just yet

https://247sports.com/Article/Big-Ten-r ... 150086770/

As I said, you're looking at partial spring season, cause no way does the Big Ten (arguably the best power five conference in basketball this past season) run football alongside the conf tourney and March Madness. Add to that FOX looking at a reduced or possibly blank slate and now talks of Ohio State, Nebraska (and possibly Penn State and Michigan as well) going off and doing their own thing and it's not all the sudden so cut and dry.