RedBird Capital, Dany Garcia, and The Rock to buy XFL for $15M

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: RedBird Capital, Dany Garcia, and The Rock to buy XFL for $15M

Post by Tank55 »

You're also saving money by only needing to be in one (or two) locations rather than eight. No travel, etc. Not at all sure that they wouldn't come out ahead.

Let's put it this way -- if you're not capable/interested in making a bubble season work in 2021, you shouldn't be bidding on the XFL.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Spoke w/ Dany Garcia, one of three investors buying the XFL. Plan is to play in 2021, she said, possibly in a bubble. Garcia will hold an executive role with the league. Asked about other leadership, she noted "excellent" people who are or were in place for XFL 2.0.
- Kevin Seifert https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/ ... 05602?s=19

2021 XFL on the menu. Holy shit.
St. Louis BattleHawks
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:06 pm
Spoke w/ Dany Garcia, one of three investors buying the XFL. Plan is to play in 2021, she said, possibly in a bubble. Garcia will hold an executive role with the league. Asked about other leadership, she noted "excellent" people who are or were in place for XFL 2.0.
- Kevin Seifert https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/ ... 05602?s=19

2021 XFL on the menu. Holy shit.
Fantastic. The court filings released today made it sound like the new parent company would be assuming the debts of the old, which I would imagine would include the coaches' contracts. If it's possible to bring the staffs back, that would save a decent amount of time and effort.

Though if they wanted to move on from Trestman, I wouldn't complain haha.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

It's a little disappointing that someone could buy an entire league for that price. So maybe I can't smell what the Rock is cookin'...... don't know how rich this group is. My expectations are lowered. He's successful with the Titan Games so we'll see
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Sounder wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:26 pm It's a little disappointing that someone could buy an entire league for that price. So maybe I can't smell what the Rock is cookin'...... don't know how rich this group is. My expectations are lowered. He's successful with the Titan Games so we'll see
Again, the price tag is likely so low because it's going to cost a lot to run the league. No one is going to spend $100 million on the assets when it takes hundreds of millions more just to operate it further. The Rock's group presumably wouldn't buy it with the intention of having a season in 2021 if they didn't have the capital to do it for the foreseeable future. It would have been silly to pay any more than $15 too, especially now knowing they were essentially bidding against themselves. So we should probably be complimenting the group on getting a good deal on the league rather than criticizing them for not needlessly spending more on the purchase.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

It's better to have a guy like Johnson come in with an initial $15 million investment and be able to keep funneling money into it than, say, to have Tom Dundon come in promising $250 million and then pulling the plug after only $70 million.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

A 2021 bubble season would be fun for sure; that said, I wouldn't mind them taking 2021 off to get things back in place as a reasonable facsimile of XFL 2.0 if necessary. Either way, I'm jazzed that it's at least possible that the XFL can return, I hope they don't get gimmicky with it and innovate not decimate,
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Imagine your bread and butter company just had its greatest quarter ever

Now your restarted project goes for literally five times what you paid for the assets of your main competitor (and bought by your third biggest star to boot)

I'd call that a pretty good couple of days
Logofan
Kicker

Post by Logofan »

What is meant by a "Bubble Season"...what would that possibly look like?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Logofan wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:47 pm What is meant by a "Bubble Season"...what would that possibly look like?
Same thing the NHL and NBA are doing. Having the season take place in one city basically keeping players under a “bubble” without having to travel across the country.
@gregmparks