RedBird Capital, Dany Garcia, and The Rock to buy XFL for $15M

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: RedBird Capital and the Rock to buy XFL for $15M

Post by GDAWG »

I doubt that there will be a 2021 season, 2022 seems likely.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:49 pm I doubt that there will be a 2021 season, 2022 seems likely.
As much as I'd like to see it next year, I tend to agree.

Aside from just putting together all the infrastructure at a local level for all the teams (assuming they are all coming back to the same place and not relocating), the current environment makes even such things as mass player tryouts extremely difficult, and still no indication as to when those conditions will change.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I think a 2021 bubble season makes a lot of sense for a lot of different reasons. But it will be a huge undertaking.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:18 pm I think a 2021 bubble season makes a lot of sense for a lot of different reasons. But it will be a huge undertaking.
I think they could start it a bit later than the 2020 season. Maybe a March or April launch of the league in a Houston bubble.
St. Louis BattleHawks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

nick1091 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:56 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:49 pm I doubt that there will be a 2021 season, 2022 seems likely.
As much as I'd like to see it next year, I tend to agree.

Aside from just putting together all the infrastructure at a local level for all the teams (assuming they are all coming back to the same place and not relocating), the current environment makes even such things as mass player tryouts extremely difficult, and still no indication as to when those conditions will change.
It's not impossible as the Spring League has proven that a mass gathering of football players can be done, but it will be hard to do in midst of a pandemic that may not end for a long time.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Re: Sportico: RedBird Capital and the Rock buy XFL for $15M

Post by Regular Joe »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 am Great sign: the XFL on FOX twitter account is pushing the news.

https://twitter.com/XFLonFOX/status/1290304544954605568
So everybody heard the good news and ran over here too..... :lol:

My little sister is the VP of creative services at Fox Sports Nationwide. She works with all the platforms, TV, radio and the social media accounts that make me smile with XFL news. Just braggin'. :D
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Early returns on the NHL and NBA bubbles are positive thus far. MLB, the non-bubble organization, is having difficulty.

If the plan for the XFL is a bubble in Houston or wherever in 2021, that may be the best bet (keeping in mind things can and will change between now and then).
@gregmparks
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

GregParks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:29 pm Early returns on the NHL and NBA bubbles are positive thus far. MLB, the non-bubble organization, is having difficulty.

If the plan for the XFL is a bubble in Houston or wherever in 2021, that may be the best bet (keeping in mind things can and will change between now and then).
with the infrastructure and all, alot of the hirings (Im sure XFL employees at all levels went back to work doing something by now), having to re-do the television contracts, 2022 is a better option. by then we should be able to put fans in the stands. :D
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

GregParks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:29 pm Early returns on the NHL and NBA bubbles are positive thus far. MLB, the non-bubble organization, is having difficulty.

Sure, but a bubble big enough to accommodate all the players, staff, etc. is a pretty costly endeavor, all with no gate money. Though perhaps there are networks hungry enough for content to make it worthwhile and give them a paying deal.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

nick1091 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Sure, but a bubble big enough to accommodate all the players, staff, etc. is a pretty costly endeavor, all with no gate money. Though perhaps there are networks hungry enough for content to make it worthwhile and give them a paying deal.
It absolutely would be costly, but it's what Pollack had been selling potential buyers on from jump. So either The Rock and his team have the finances to pull it off, or they bought the league and said "thanks but no thanks" on Pollack's idea. I'm not sure if the purchase was contingent on the bubble, made-for-TV idea or if it was just a suggestion put out there as a way to keep continuity in 2021.
@gregmparks