Fans will be back in the stands

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: Fans will be back in the stands

Post by Firecop »

To me, it is the epitome of arrogance and a lack of concern that so many people are out and about as if the virus was gone. This disregard for our senior population is disturbing to say the least. Now, we are seeing a spike in younger folks who aren't as "immune" as was once thought. This is much bigger than our current mess of politics and 22 states have seen a resurgence of the virus or at least more identification of it due to increased testing.This is NOT over.

I am fine with football, spring or fall, being played in empty stadiums; I imagine the NFL would start today if they could. The NFL will emerge as the clear leader in the initial post COVID 19 sports world; MLB and the player's union have blown it IMO. There ought to be a ton of free football on all networks when the NFL season begins.

This will also be a terrific time for a spring football league to begin (again) if the right buyer(s) purchase the XFL.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Firecop wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am This will also be a terrific time for a spring football league to begin (again) if the right buyer(s) purchase the XFL.
On the surface, this doesn't seem right. But when you think about it, a centralized league with no travel could be very beneficial to a startup league. It costs a lot less money to have every team in Houston, for example, than it does to have teams flying thousands of miles across the country every week. Obviously any league wants attendance money, but if the new buyer can get a paying TV deal (or if Disney or FOX buys it) that could negate that for the time being. Down the road the league would obviously want fans in stadiums, but it may actually be easier to get a league off the ground this way.

Centralized locations also means you don't have to hire full local front offices for each team yet, which would definitely help as, for a 2021 relaunch, whoever buys the league will be pressed for time with an August 7th purchase.
St. Louis BattleHawks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Firecop wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:09 am To me, it is the epitome of arrogance and a lack of concern that so many people are out and about as if the virus was gone. This disregard for our senior population is disturbing to say the least. Now, we are seeing a spike in younger folks who aren't as "immune" as was once thought. This is much bigger than our current mess of politics and 22 states have seen a resurgence of the virus or at least more identification of it due to increased testing.This is NOT over.
It is the epitome of arrogance to assume you can control people's movements for more than a couple of months before they start suffering severe mental breakdowns. I'm having them more and more lately.

Either they work—and the virus goes away—or they don't. In much of America, they did not work. You only have a limited window for them to work. The main correlation seems to have been two: climate, and initial impact. The areas hardest-hit before lockdowns were put in have also had the most success reducing their rates. Those that were minimally hit are simply getting hit now, and instead of being able to impose those measures now, you've now created a situation of quarantine fatigue where people are already sick of it and cannot mentally take it anymore.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Auto racing? It's fine. Golf can do it, Pro tennis could, but they haven't....everything through the U.S. Open cancelled. Baseball potentially could, but they're being dumbasses. Football is a tough call. But if the NFL did suspend operations this fall....perhaps the XFL could be the first one back, and we'd all be starved for it.
With only eight teams, you could have all games in one locale if needed with all teams present. Not sure you could do that with 32 teams. Hey maybe if no one emerges to buy this league, Vince could resurrect it as an indoor league and play all games at WWE performance center. Maybe the lockdown has caused me to lose any sense of rational thinking.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Just to be clear, I'm in my 50's...so yes, I'm concerned about covid. As for the NFL, if I were commissioner, I'd lean toward suspending operations. It wouldn't be a popular decision....and if Roger Goodell makes that call, he'll be roasted. But I'm betting Rozelle and Tagliabue wouldve gone the same way.
I would rather the players be healthy over their risking their health to entertain us. I know they're itching to play....but they are after all human, with families who love them and need them. When this virus is defeated, and it will be eventually down the line.....everything will come back. You'll be here. I hope I will be too.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Sounder wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 pm Just to be clear, I'm in my 50's...so yes, I'm concerned about covid. As for the NFL, if I were commissioner, I'd lean toward suspending operations. It wouldn't be a popular decision....and if Roger Goodell makes that call, he'll be roasted. But I'm betting Rozelle and Tagliabue wouldve gone the same way.
I would rather the players be healthy over their risking their health to entertain us. I know they're itching to play....but they are after all human, with families who love them and need them. When this virus is defeated, and it will be eventually down the line.....everything will come back. You'll be here. I hope I will be too.
There's always Risk. The flu kills 30-60k a yr. Stephen Currie had it this winter. The risk rate under 40 is very minimal for Covid.... meaning no one under 40 is going hide under a desk over it. The protest and post lockdown actions illustrate that. 50-59 gray area and 60-64 more gray - after that it gets more deadly. People are OVER it... beaches, protests, rallies... oh my! We focus on those most at risk and let others get back to work. And back to work could be remote. Its now gotten overly political and people are tuning it out.

raw data on coronavirus cases: https://covidtracking.com/data
links to every state site and uses state provided data - and its unfiltered

If major sports bail on fall season, F'em. And XFL tournament style season will be cool. But I doubt it will come to that. Counties and states are lifting restrictions and despite the pear clutching all is moving forward.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:21 pm
Sounder wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 pm Just to be clear, I'm in my 50's...so yes, I'm concerned about covid. As for the NFL, if I were commissioner, I'd lean toward suspending operations. It wouldn't be a popular decision....and if Roger Goodell makes that call, he'll be roasted. But I'm betting Rozelle and Tagliabue wouldve gone the same way.
There's always Risk. The flu kills 30-60k a yr. Stephen Currie had it this winter. The risk rate under 40 is very minimal for Covid.... meaning no one under 40 is going hide under a desk over it. The protest and post lockdown actions illustrate that. 50-59 gray area and 60-64 more gray - after that it gets more deadly. FauXi is an alarmist and is past his due date. People are OVER it... beaches, protests, rallies... oh my! We focus on those most at risk and let others get back to work. And back to work could be remote. Its now gotten overly political and people are tuning it out.

If major sports bail on fall season, F'em. And XFL tournament style season will be cool. But I doubt it will come to that. Counties and states are lifting restrictions and despite the pear clutching all is moving forward.
Well that must've been what they were saying 100 years ago. The first wave passed....people TRIED to return to normal, then a second wave hit, and even a third one. It seems everything that happens now people are gonna say it's some kind of political manuevering. But cases have been on the rise again. I don't even want to use this forum to debate it. Forget it if that's what you wanna do. I hope I am wrong.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I just want the XFL and my Dragons back!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Sounder wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:23 pm
There's always Risk. The flu kills 30-60k a yr. Stephen Currie had it this winter. The risk rate under 40 is very minimal for Covid.... meaning no one under 40 is going hide under a desk over it. The protest and post lockdown actions illustrate that. 50-59 gray area and 60-64 more gray - after that it gets more deadly. FauXi is an alarmist and is past his due date. People are OVER it... beaches, protests, rallies... oh my! We focus on those most at risk and let others get back to work. And back to work could be remote. Its now gotten overly political and people are tuning it out.

Well that must've been what they were saying 100 years ago. The first wave passed....people TRIED to return to normal, then a second wave hit, and even a third one. It seems everything that happens now people are gonna say it's some kind of political manuevering. But cases have been on the rise again. I don't even want to use this forum to debate it. Forget it if that's what you wanna do. I hope I am wrong.
As far as the Spanish flu... the first wave was little more than the flu. Nobody paid it much heed back then and no measures really needed to be taken at that time. But then it festered in World War I's filthy trenches, and all the soldiers brought it back home... and that's when everybody put in lockdown measures that are tame by the standards of 2020's. The third wave after that second wave wasn't as severe... once that passed, it was effectively over, and within six months of the second wave, everything was back to normal. Baseball resumed that spring.

It's not quite a comparable situation.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 pm
Sounder wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:23 pm

As far as the Spanish flu... the first wave was little more than the flu. Nobody paid it much heed back then and no measures really needed to be taken at that time. But then it festered in World War I's filthy trenches, and all the soldiers brought it back home... and that's when everybody put in lockdown measures that are tame by the standards of 2020's. The third wave after that second wave wasn't as severe... once that passed, it was effectively over, and within six months of the second wave, everything was back to normal. Baseball resumed that spring.

It's not quite a comparable situation.
Thanks for the back info...

Also the death rates on covid for under 40 have nothing to do with WAVES. We see the virus is age targets and over 65 is at risk , under that to 40 the risk drops fast until its negligible. Regardless - people under 50, esp as u get younger, aren't scared and are going out. I'm not suggesting anyone stay in or go out, but its clear to see what people think about it based on their actions.