The 2021 XFL Season: Will it happen or not?

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

The 2021 XFL Season: Will it happen or not?

Post by GDAWG »

The XFL has said that they expect to resume play in February 2021. However, Covid-19 could derail all that and I think that if there is no 2021 season due to the pandemic continuing, sadly, I don't see the XFL ever returning. Right now, I do think that the XFL will have a 2021 season, finish all 10 weeks, have a post-season and championship game. That opinion could change though but right now, that is how I feel and that is how I think we all feel. I know the numbers in China are down, but I would not trust them as they tend to fudge the numbers and lie in their favor.

For me, there are two factors that will determine if there is a 2021 XFL season: the first is Europe and the second is the fall NFL and college football seasons. With Europe, we are a month behind them. If by May the numbers go down rapidly and the World Health Organization says that Europe can go back to some sense of normalcy, we are not that far behind and it would be a good sign. Right now, there has been no sign of the numbers rapidly going down in Europe to the point where the WHO says that they can go back to some normalcy again. The number in Europe is key.

The second is the NFL and College Football seasons. Kirk Herbstreit doesn't think that there will be an NFL or College Football season in 2020. If both delay things a month, I do think the XFL will still go on in 2021, but pushed back a month, having the XFL Championship in late May/early June. If Herbstreit is right and both cancel, I doubt that there will be a 2021 XFL season and if there is no 2021 XFL season, I don't think that the XFL will ever come back.

As I said earlier, as of now, I think that there will be a 2021 XFL Season, with all 10 weeks, the post-season and XFL Championship. If I had to guess on the percentage chance the XFL returns, as of now, it's 80%. That could change either up or down depending upon what happens over the next few months.
nick1091
Running Back

Re: The 2021 XFL Season: Will it happen or not?

Post by nick1091 »

Barring something entirely unforeseen, right now I'd have a pretty high confidence level the XFL will be back as normal in 2021. Realistically I think you're looking at six months from now to make a go or no-go decision, which is a pretty long run for things to flatten. The hope is that it's ample time for people to become comfortable again with mass gatherings.

If I had to hazard a guess at this point, the NBA opens up first to do the playoffs in maybe early June - maybe with crowds, maybe not. I think how that goes will sort of be the canary in the coal mine for pro and college football. Due to the recent agreement in MLB where players will be getting some degree of salary in April or May if there's games placed or not (and the fact their union is so strong) I actually expect that more delayed than basketball.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

The only way I don't see the XFL NOT happening is the NFL doesn't play normally and we have several months before the NFL begins to start any kind of camp. I think that more the tell tail than anything. I think we have to see how things are by the end of the summer as for as sports and mostly the NFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

steinerfhc wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:10 pm The only way I don't see the XFL NOT happening is the NFL doesn't play normally and we have several months before the NFL begins to start any kind of camp. I think that more the tell tail than anything. I think we have to see how things are by the end of the summer as for as sports and mostly the NFL.
And if there is no NFL season, there is no XFL season in 2021 and if there is no XFL season in 2021, I think that the XFL won't ever return.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

Take a look at the television. The leagues and programmers are already brainstorming how to get anything on television.

Everybody ready for Chinese Basketball?
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

If we are in lockdown still by fall, the XFL is the least people are going to worry about.

But imagine if in stadium sports are not allowed still, what would the XFL do in 2021.

They could practice and play game in Houston for the entire season. No travel, with testing for those with symptoms and checks. Since FB and the XFL is made for TV it would work.

Since under 30 seems virtually either no lor little symptoms - they could do it. The coaches and trainers would be the issue, if any.

But it won't come to that.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:05 pm If we are in lockdown still by fall, the XFL is the least people are going to worry about.

But imagine if in stadium sports are not allowed still, what would the XFL do in 2021.

They could practice and play game in Houston for the entire season. No travel, with testing for those with symptoms and checks. Since FB and the XFL is made for TV it would work.

Since under 30 seems virtually either no lor little symptoms - they could do it. The coaches and trainers would be the issue, if any.

But it won't come to that.
I think that they will be back in the summer, but with zero fans. Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban thinks the NBA will be back in Mid May, but without fans.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

My thought is that one way or another, COVID will have run its course by this fall. Certainly by next January a vaccine will be available.

There is plenty of work going on to resolve this pandemic and it will happen. It will take a while, though, and the world will never be the same in many ways.

But I am sure football will be back.

These are my thoughts.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:10 pm My thought is that one way or another, COVID will have run its course by this fall. Certainly by next January a vaccine will be available.

There is plenty of work going on to resolve this pandemic and it will happen. It will take a while, though, and the world will never be the same in many ways.

But I am sure football will be back.

These are my thoughts.
I'm not saying that there won't be a 2021 XFL season, in fact I am of the belief that there will be, full post season and a championship game. But it will depend on what happens to the upcoming NFL season as well as the numbers of cases.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

This may not be a good sign for a 2021 XFL season if this happens:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/a ... id-travel/
The coronavirus outbreak could kill 100,000 to 200,000 Americans, the U.S. government’s top infectious-disease expert warned on Sunday as smouldering hot spots in nursing homes and a growing list of stricken cities heightened the sense of dread across the country.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, made the dire prediction of fatalities on CNN, adding that millions in the U.S. could become infected.