2021 Venue Watch: LA, NY, TB reportedly exploring alternatives

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

2021 Venue Watch: LA, NY, TB reportedly exploring alternatives

Post by Tank55 »

From our own XFLBoard.com:
Thankfully, it has been reported that the team and the XFL are being proactive about options to grow the Wildcats fan base.

The biggest concern appears to be location. While Dignity Health Sports Park is a nice enough stadium, the LA Chargers have already shown that playing in Carson, Calif. is not ideal. The stadium is too far of a drive for many fans and it has limited public transportation options.

The goal appears to be to move the Wildcats to a more centralized location. Early reports state that the XFL is focusing on moving its LA franchise into the city proper, most likely playing at the new Banc of California Stadium.
https://xflboard.com/news/2020/03/12/a- ... -wildcats/

Great idea, IMO. Here's hoping they can pull it off.
Last edited by Tank55 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Re: Wildcats seeking to play in Banc of California Stadium

Post by Tank55 »

And an update from the author, Peter Schinkai:
My focus was on LA, but I'm hearing that both New York and Tampa Bay are exploring options.
https://twitter.com/xflschinkai/status/ ... 3802651648

We've been through New York. What are the Vipers' in-market options? Al Lang is too small, the Trop is too Troppy ... Steinbrenner Field? I don't see a fit.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm And an update from the author, Peter Schinkai:
My focus was on LA, but I'm hearing that both New York and Tampa Bay are exploring options.
https://twitter.com/xflschinkai/status/ ... 3802651648

We've been through New York. What are the Vipers' in-market options? Al Lang is too small, the Trop is too Troppy ... Steinbrenner Field? I don't see a fit.
The difference in Tampa is that they're getting the use of that stadium for free. In that case, it's worth it a little more to deal with the disadvantages.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

I didn't even know they had a stadium there!!! why didn't they play there in the first place???

That location might get them another 5000 easy. Win, 10000.
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Worth watching is the WWE-Hillsborough County standoff over Wrestlemania. Both are acting like the onus is on the other party to cancel, for what I assume are monetary reasons.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/289 ... -pull-plug

If that relationship sours, I wonder if it impacts Tampa's chances of remaining an XFL market.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I wouldn't go that far. WWE's finding a contingency plan, it ain't like RAW/Smackdown where you can just up and put it at the WWE Performance Center. Whether it's holding it in June (I don't think anybody'll miss Extreme Rules, seriously) or doing what UFC did today.

I think the "elected gods" (you know as much as I don't like Trump he's completely tame compared to these idiots) can live if Mania's tentatively on for another week, while odds are it won't be, and move on to their next dictat.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

WWE isn’t going to give up a $20 million gate. It’s kind of the only event of the year that ticket sales actually makes a difference with their bottom line for the calendar year. Otherwise it’s all about the TV deals and network subscribers. They need to reschedule to August. Give a 30-day window to those that want refunds, otherwise the existing ticket holders will still be set.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 pm WWE's finding a contingency plan
I'd hope so. It seems pretty clear the event isn't going to be staged as planned; the only question is who cancels it. WWE and the county are playing a public game of chicken. Maybe everyone will understand it's just business, but maybe not.
StoneSentry
Running Back

Re: 2021 Venue Watch: LA, NY, TB reportedly exploring alternatives

Post by StoneSentry »

A very good idea for both LA and NY. I'm not sure where TB would go however, and they're using Raymond James for free. Unless that changes in 2021 I don't see them moving.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:44 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 pm WWE's finding a contingency plan
I'd hope so. It seems pretty clear the event isn't going to be staged as planned; the only question is who cancels it. WWE and the county are playing a public game of chicken. Maybe everyone will understand it's just business, but maybe not.
Totally unnecessary grandstanding by Tampa for an event still 2-3 weeks out, it's not like hotels were being overbooked and bars/restauarants, even before they got shut down, were overflowing.

I'd say with Orlando now technically hosting their third Mania (PC after all) that the Vipers are that much closer, rent free RayJay or not, to playing there next year.