Could the XFL benefit from a formal/semi-formal relationship with the CFL

XFL Football discussion.
ArenaLeagueFan56
Rookie

Could the XFL benefit from a formal/semi-formal relationship with the CFL

Post by ArenaLeagueFan56 »

At one point in history the CFL and NFL actually had comparable salaries. This was before the AFL-NFL merger where both the NFL and CFL where gate driven leagues. A notable example would be Bud Grant who started his playing career with the Philadelphia Eagles and subsequently left the Eagles as he was offered more money by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL. The way I see it, if the CFL and XFL were to have relations, CFL import players who are tired of living in Canada could come back down to the states and still have a way to make a living playing football, and XFL players would have a way to play competitive football, and stay in shape and when an import slot does open up on a CFL team they can go up there for a slightly bigger pay check. Maybe I am just a dreamer but seems like it could be good for both leagues.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Could the XFL benefit from a formal/semi-formal relationship with the CFL

Post by LeoNY »

It wouldn’t hurt either side. I am not sure how it would work though for either party.
Arlo83
Kicker

Post by Arlo83 »

i can only see a talent sharing agreement other then that I doubt it
Oh_Canada
Linebacker

Post by Oh_Canada »

ArenaLeagueFan56 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 pm At one point in history the CFL and NFL actually had comparable salaries. This was before the AFL-NFL merger where both the NFL and CFL where gate driven leagues. A notable example would be Bud Grant who started his playing career with the Philadelphia Eagles and subsequently left the Eagles as he was offered more money by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL. The way I see it, if the CFL and XFL were to have relations, CFL import players who are tired of living in Canada could come back down to the states and still have a way to make a living playing football, and XFL players would have a way to play competitive football, and stay in shape and when an import slot does open up on a CFL team they can go up there for a slightly bigger pay check. Maybe I am just a dreamer but seems like it could be good for both leagues.
Who would get tired of living in this kick ass place?

Just kidding, our winters are the shits!
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

The old XFL, to an extent, had an informal handshake deal with the CFL. Their seasons are far apart enough that a player who was willing to take the risk could play both, and you saw a few players, mostly punters and kickers like Paul MacCallum and Noel Prefontaine, who indeed did both.

As far as anything formal... Vince McMahon has been adamant that they want to be viable as a standalone league and not get into partnerships that could lead to them losing control over their personnel. (It's a smart move because you can't count on the NFL or CFL agreeing to such a deal, especially one that requires investment on their end, and once the union gets involved that's another layer you have to worry about.)
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

As a fan of both leagues, a working agreement sounds awful. I only wish for CFL free agency to start earlier so players aren't arbitrarily blocked from missing XFL training camps.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Agreed. The Grey Cup is the week before Thanksgiving(US), FA is roughly in the middle between it and opening of camps in May. The equivalent in the NFL would be right around the draft.

There's no reason not to have it at the beginning of January (line up the new year w the new league year)
Grabursock55
Rookie

Post by Grabursock55 »

I think the xfl will just sort of be an unofficial “division 2” to the NFL. sort of like a developmental league- similar to the old NFL-Europe. They have needed a farm league for a long time. I think the NFL is the only major sports league that doesn’t have a developmental league