ST. LOUIS NAMES CHUCK LONG OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: ST. LOUIS NAMES CHUCK LONG OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

Post by MikeMitchell »

Coach contracts are different than the player contracts in the XFL. Something I reported many months ago.

One of my biggest concerns with the XFL was that the football hiring season happens during this period.

The AAF got hit with it too. Not counting Childress and Vick because those two just bailed. Jon Kitna left SD before their season started for the Cowboys. Cadillac Williams left Birmingham for Auburn and there were others.

It sucks for St. Louis but their in-house option is not a bad one in Long. Hayes could have waited to see what assistants from the NFL carousel get left out of the mix but it’s just 4 weeks until the start of the season. So Hayes really couldn’t wait.

Mike Martz is still out there but I don’t think that’s a realistic option.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Worth noting that Long was the guy that Hayes wanted originally for OC but Long turned him down because he feared he had been away from the game for too long: https://t.co/ck8w6td2C6?amp=1
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 pm Coach contracts are different than the player contracts in the XFL. Something I reported many months ago.

One of my biggest concerns with the XFL was that the football hiring season happens during this period.

The AAF got hit with it too. Not counting Childress and Vick because those two just bailed. Jon Kitna left SD before their season started for the Cowboys. Cadillac Williams left Birmingham for Auburn and there were others.

It sucks for St. Louis but their in-house option is not a bad one in Long. Hayes could have waited to see what assistants from the NFL carousel get left out of the mix but it’s just 5 weeks until the start of the season. So Hayes really couldn’t wait.

4 weeks...
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 pm Coach contracts are different than the player contracts in the XFL. Something I reported many months ago.

It sucks for St. Louis but their in-house option is not a bad one in Long. Hayes could have waited to see what assistants from the NFL carousel get left out of the mix but it’s just 5 weeks until the start of the season. So Hayes really couldn’t wait.

Martz I think had retired to SD and that was the only reason he took the job. Even to come back to STL (which he'd have to have been HC), that's about as realistic as HBC coming all the way up to Pullman to do the Bennett thing and hand off to Jr. after a year or two.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:04 pm

4 weeks...
Yes it’s 4 weeks from tomorrow. Thanks for noticing. Coincidentally the date of my birthday. That 5 number is right next to the 4 number on the keyboard.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:34 pm

Martz I think had retired to SD and that was the only reason he took the job. Even to come back to STL (which he'd have to have been HC), that's about as realistic as HBC coming all the way up to Pullman to do the Bennett thing and hand off to Jr. after a year or two.
Lol. Exactly. That’s why I stated that it’s not a realistic option. I was in contact with people close to Martz during the AAF season. Martz was going to take the SD job no matter what in the AAF. Even if the Alliance had secured STL as one of their eight franchises. Martz wouldn’t have taken that job.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:58 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:04 pm

4 weeks...
Yes it’s 4 weeks from tomorrow. Thanks for noticing. Coincidentally the date of my birthday. That 5 number is right next to the 4 number on the keyboard.
NW - wasn't busting balz... just pointing out the season is damn close! Time is starting to fly, (as Balt/Ten go at it).
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:59 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 pm Most of us expected something like this to happen to at least one of the teams. That it's St. Louis is also likely no surprise.

It's unfortunate the Battlehawks have the most unproven roster and coaching staff, because all the talk I've seen is that the city has embraced the XFL thus far and they deserve to have a good team to support.
Well, so far all the HCs are in place... that's a good sign. Lets hope this is it on the coordinator front.
There some rumblings that Pepper Johnson May end up in Judge’s staff in NY. Given the Pats connection and Johnson’s pretty beloved in NY I think it’s a real possibility.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

nick1091 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:59 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 pm Most of us expected something like this to happen to at least one of the teams. That it's St. Louis is also likely no surprise.

It's unfortunate the Battlehawks have the most unproven roster and coaching staff, because all the talk I've seen is that the city has embraced the XFL thus far and they deserve to have a good team to support.
Well, so far all the HCs are in place... that's a good sign. Lets hope this is it on the coordinator front.
There some rumblings that Pepper Johnson May end up in Judge’s staff in NY. Given the Pats connection and Johnson’s pretty beloved in NY I think it’s a real possibility.
That would suck. It’s part of the game.

If I were an assistant coach and the NFL came calling. I would go. There’s more stability in the NFL than in a first year sports league. Setting aside the financial aspect.

If I was someone like Pep Hamilton, Jon Hayes or Winston Moss. I wouldn’t leave. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to head up a pro football franchise. An opportunity that they wouldn’t have received otherwise.