Quinton Patton comments on being released by The BattleHawks

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Quinton Patton comments on being released by The BattleHawks

Post by LeoNY »

When XFL Board tweeted an article about the St. Louis trade for receiver Keith Mumphrey from Dallas. I commented about it on Twitter. I listed Patton as no longer being on the team as a reason for St. Louis addressing the receiver position. Quinton Patton responded with this twitter exchange below.
C5ED23BE-B3B8-4051-817E-7C616F03701B.jpeg
C5ED23BE-B3B8-4051-817E-7C616F03701B.jpeg (145.21 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
https://twitter.com/xflboard/status/120 ... 09856?s=20
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Quinton Patton comments on being released by The BattleHawks

Post by MikeMitchell »

That's a very interesting reason for being released. "Bullying a WR". You usually don't see that listed as a reason for being cut by a team. If I was Patton, I probably wouldn't have revealed that. It doesn't make you look good. I suppose bullying a DB can be seen as competition going too far but bullying a fellow teammate at the same position doesn't really go over well. I know that Patton is a quality veteran but something like that is cause for losing your job. Perhaps Patton sees it as a way of showing tough love to a younger receiver but obviously, Jonathan Hayes and his staff saw it another way.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 pm That's a very interesting reason for being released. "Bullying a WR". You usually don't see that listed as a reason for being cut by a team. If I was Patton, I probably wouldn't have revealed that. It doesn't make you look good. I suppose bullying a DB can be seen as competition going too far but bullying a fellow teammate at the same position doesn't really go over well. I know that Patton is a quality veteran but something like that is cause for losing your job. Perhaps Patton sees it as a way of showing tough love to a younger receiver but obviously, Jonathan Hayes and his staff saw it another way.
It's the times we're in. The XFL now has to be a moral compass.... as well as a football league.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 pm That's a very interesting reason for being released. "Bullying a WR". You usually don't see that listed as a reason for being cut by a team. If I was Patton, I probably wouldn't have revealed that. It doesn't make you look good. I suppose bullying a DB can be seen as competition going too far but bullying a fellow teammate at the same position doesn't really go over well. I know that Patton is a quality veteran but something like that is cause for losing your job. Perhaps Patton sees it as a way of showing tough love to a younger receiver but obviously, Jonathan Hayes and his staff saw it another way.
Players always make silly decisions on social media. Why allow anyone to know a reason like that for being cut? Just not a smart business decision for yourself. Maybe an XFL team will still pick him up off waivers but it certainly doesn’t help Quinton’s cause
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Sounder wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:25 pm
It's the times we're in. The XFL now has to be a moral compass.... as well as a football league.
My main focus wasn’t on the “bullying” and where it stands in this day and age but that’s a good point Sounder. I was thinking more along the lines of being a bad teammate but certainly the act of bullying ties into that for sure.
Bastiat
Kicker

Post by Bastiat »

That’s too bad. I was excited about cheering him on this spring (along with the other former Iron players).

It really seems like teams across the league are being vigilant when it comes to purging those with character issues.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Perhaps Patton thinks he needs to broadcast the fact that he wasn't cut for talent reasons? Still not a good look for him.

Someone claiming to know Shawn Oakman said on Twitter that the whole accusations about starting fights with the team was really just a misunderstanding about Oakman going too rough with the O-line during practice.

I wonder if, given the league's stance of wanting to have players of high character, the league has given a directive to teams to be aggressive with weeding out the bad apples.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
jamesdecker
Kicker

Post by jamesdecker »

Not much has changed since he was with the 49ers. Still a diva and a hot-head.

Good riddance.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Bastiat wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:45 pm It really seems like teams across the league are being vigilant when it comes to purging those with character issues.
Agreed 110%!! Only have 1 chance to make a first impression. And the league is absolutely weeding out the head cases and prima donnas, because it has to work. In an alpha sport, I’m betting most of these types are seeing the competition as inferior (because they played in the NFL, AAF or major college teams). This is why you’ll likely not see Manziel types until the league is on full cylinders. I’m all for the best talent available and player personalities, but for year one all players have to work to make their teams and league better.

The league is doing a great job through this point, I have no doubt they are doing what it’s necessary to make this a permanent league for the television partners and fans.

-Go Cats!!!
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Bastiat wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:45 pm That’s too bad. I was excited about cheering him on this spring (along with the other former Iron players).

It really seems like teams across the league are being vigilant when it comes to purging those with character issues.
It's a good point. Sometimes with an established pro football team that's been around for a few years. Teams will put up with or tolerate some internal issues but with a new league like the XFL, where it's essentially eight brand new football teams. Coaches don't want anyone to disrupt the unity or team building in the early stages.

Coaches like Jonathan Hayes and Winston Moss are first-time head coaches. If they see someone who is a potential threat to their teams' chemistry. They are going to cut bait.