Cheerleaders and/or Mascots by year 3?

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Cheerleaders and/or Mascots by year 3?

Post by GDAWG »

We know that this is not happening for 2020, and probably not in 2021. However, if there is a third year of the XFL, do you believe that the teams will have cheerleaders and/or mascots? Or does the XFL want to be different and never have cheerleaders and mascots? Some NFL teams have only one or neither, so it's not uncommon. I believe all of the CFL teams have mascots, not sure if all of them have cheerleading squads.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Cheerleaders and/or Mascots by year 3?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Cheerleaders, probably never. Vince is on record saying that cheerleaders are passé, and there are far less titillating and polarizing ways to integrate women into the product. The teams in the NFL that got rid of cheerleaders haven't suffered or been punished for it. They're one of the things the old XFL got disastrously wrong (and let's be blunt, much of what they did wasn't that much more risqué than, say, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders) so I honestly do not expect them to try that again.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see some mascots and branding opportunities sooner rather than later.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Good Lord, no cheerleaders ever - never! I am neutral on mascots, OK but not necessary.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I would expect mascots would come very soon. I don't see any issues with mascots.

The XFL may never have cheerleaders.

FYI, every CFL team has a cheerleader squad. It is still seen as a customary activity in the CFL.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MarkNelson wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:17 pm I would expect mascots would come very soon. I don't see any issues with mascots.

The XFL may never have cheerleaders.

FYI, every CFL team has a cheerleader squad. It is still seen as a customary activity in the CFL.
So we may get mascots in year one?
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:25 pm So we may get mascots in year one?
Actually I have not heard this for sure, but why not? The kids love 'em.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Mascots are probably not impossible. Knowing the personality of Winston Moss. He might actually dress as the team mascot. What type of wildcat does he dress as though? Wildcat is such a broad term that you can dress as any type of predatory type cat.

When you think about. The mascots would have to look like or relate somehow to the logos. The Renegades will probably have someone on a motorcycle. The Roughnecks mascot would look something like the teams secondary logo. Dragons is self explanatory. Not sure if NY does the gargoyle thing which is a lot like Wildcats. There are so many different types of them. Not sure what the Defenders would do. A mascot with a shield for sure. Vipers is also a broad term. It could be a lot of different types of snakes. A BattleHawk would be funny. A human sized Hawk complete with a sword and gigantic wings.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

LeoNY wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:46 pm The Renegades will probably have someone on a motorcycle. The Roughnecks mascot would look something like the teams secondary logo. Dragons is self explanatory. Not sure if NY does the gargoyle thing which is a lot like Wildcats. There are so many different types of them. Not sure what the Defenders would do. A mascot with a shield for sure. Vipers is also a broad term. It could be a lot of different types of snakes. A BattleHawk would be funny. A human sized Hawk complete with a sword and gigantic wings.
Some of these ideas are great. But, that's it exactly. There is nothing negative about a mascot.

Not sure how the kids will fall in love with a snake mascot though. :D
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If the XFL does do Mascots, I could see them following the path of other sports leagues and not having all of the mascots related to the identities of the teams but could be reflective of the state that they are in or the city they are from.

As for cheerleaders, I don't think that the XFL will have official cheerleaders, but I could see some of the teams using cheerleaders from local college or high school teams on game days.
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Post by BengalErnst »

With the way things are going, Vince is looking to lose as little money as possible with this league. He learned from the 2001 mistake. These are just unnecessary things. Good football is the only thing that can make this league work.