Team Name and Logo/Colors

The Dome, St. Louis, Missouri
Dome Head
Kicker

Re: Team Name and Logo/Colors

Post by Dome Head »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:14 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm
Dome Head wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 pm I've been thinking about branding a lot for the team. My fear is that the team is going to be "generic modern". Awful Division II style uniforms like the other League starting up this week end. And some bland name like Rock Cats or River Otters.

Clydesdales is a superb name. Easy to slide into 'Dales as a nickname. A logo could borrow from SMU, a stampeding horse silhouette - except with the added features of the Clydesdale.

There are other good names as well that would derive from the region - something akin to Brewers due to the past and ongoing beer production as well as something akin to Rivermen to specifically call back to the river trade. Also, something Explorer related given our Lewis and Clark history.

I also agree with the guy pointing out the city flag for color ideas. Rich primary colors look great. It may be a little hard to translate that to some of the logo ideas.

My big hope if for more of a throwback style uniform like the Packers or Steelers have rather than something Seahawks or Titans like.
The AAF went with the bland-modern style, maybe the XFL will counter with some solid "old-school" uniforms.
Outside of the Express. I don't like the AAF's uniforms. They look like Arena League rejects. I recently watched the AAF special on CBSSports Network. Those uniforms look worse in action than they do in pictures. The Stallions looks like a child's drawing of a Pegasus. I am not opposed to Green in a team's uniform but the Hotshots are a crazy looking clash of colors. The Legends look like a 1980's b movie team.
I hate what I call "Rorschach" team uniforms. Teams with colors all over the place without any purpose. The Arizona Cardinals and Cincy Bengals, for example. I tend toward classic uniforms in all sports. But I try and stay open to modern stuff. I liked, and to a degree still do, the Broncos uniforms. The Panthers is a solid modern look. Surprisingly even the Seahawks has grown on me somewhat.

As for the AAF? Woof. There are some good details to work from but its largely a mess. As a start, why do all the teams have vest look with different colors on the sleeve? Maybe vary it up a bit.

- Hotshots. Really dig the name and the logo. But the uniform is all over the place. Main problem is the weaker color on top and the stronger on bottom.

- Stallions. Name is fine, familiar, solid. Logo is ok. I get that it reminds us of a Knight in chess, and I like that. But it's not executed well. Way too much grey and silver in the uniform. They've got a nice pair of blue tones to work with and waste them.

- Commanders. Fine name, kinda boring. I like the logo, for the most part, on its own. But the uniform and color mix is yikes. The maroon and red a struggling to work together. The grey makes the whole thing look that an insurance booklet from the 90s. Also, I get wanting to do something unique with the helmet, but they've got so much going on. Number on one side, which is overused it looks like in AAF. Sublimated logo around the back - when you've already got in in the helmet. Too much.

- Fleet. Again, really love the name. Really love the logo. Love the colors (mimics the Chargers a bit). Again, helmet has too much going on. Number on one side, unique striping underneath AND over top. Vest looking jersey. It's a military theme, dial it down and simplify.

- Legends. I don't know why, because it doesn't seem like it would fit, but I dig it. Name, crown logo. It works. Something is going on with the helmet coloring but it looks interesting. Only thing I'd say is stick the logo on both sides. Vest like jersey with ATL running down the side. I'd make it a solid purple and run the ATL down the legs. Not too bad though.

- Iron. In total I find this boring. There's not much detail in the pics they've released for the uniform but its clear the whole thing is a Raiders take. Black and Silver, fine colors. Logo is fine, boring. I hate the name. Its rare to have a singular non traditional name. When I say singular, I really mean a team not ending in "s". A name like Fleet is cool. But Iron? It's just kind of there. Its a metal. The team just feels like its there.

- Apollos. I kinda like the name, but its a little clunky paired with Orlando. Lot of o's. Miami or Tampa Apollos works better. That said, love the logo, the bow and figure fit well in the O. Colors are great. Helmets fine. I like taking the image of the archer out of the logo and using it, and it works well with the color. It's too far back and a bit too large. The only uni they show it the white (you'd assume away) uniform. Its dated 2000s stuff. Heavy shoulder yoke, color side panels on the jersey. Inoffensive but not exciting.

- This may be my favorite overall package. Red and blue always work well together and they're paired here in a basically traditional way. The name is ok. Not bad but not as unique as Fleet. The jersey could use a move to all blue and dropping that red shoulder effect (leave the red collar though). I need a better look at the side paneling, not crazy about it, but at a glance it doesn't look bad. What stands out is the helmet. Wow. The jet logo with the trail to the back of the helmet is non traditional but both makes sense AND works. And they've added the color transition going down but its both subtle AND it works as it gives something of an impression of a sky. Blue at the bottom of the helmet blends into the blue jersey. I'm impressed.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Dome Head wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:14 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm
The AAF went with the bland-modern style, maybe the XFL will counter with some solid "old-school" uniforms.
Outside of the Express. I don't like the AAF's uniforms. They look like Arena League rejects. I recently watched the AAF special on CBSSports Network. Those uniforms look worse in action than they do in pictures. The Stallions looks like a child's drawing of a Pegasus. I am not opposed to Green in a team's uniform but the Hotshots are a crazy looking clash of colors. The Legends look like a 1980's b movie team.
I hate what I call "Rorschach" team uniforms. Teams with colors all over the place without any purpose. The Arizona Cardinals and Cincy Bengals, for example. I tend toward classic uniforms in all sports. But I try and stay open to modern stuff. I liked, and to a degree still do, the Broncos uniforms. The Panthers is a solid modern look. Surprisingly even the Seahawks has grown on me somewhat.

As for the AAF? Woof. There are some good details to work from but its largely a mess. As a start, why do all the teams have vest look with different colors on the sleeve? Maybe vary it up a bit.

- Hotshots. Really dig the name and the logo. But the uniform is all over the place. Main problem is the weaker color on top and the stronger on bottom.

- Stallions. Name is fine, familiar, solid. Logo is ok. I get that it reminds us of a Knight in chess, and I like that. But it's not executed well. Way too much grey and silver in the uniform. They've got a nice pair of blue tones to work with and waste them.

- Commanders. Fine name, kinda boring. I like the logo, for the most part, on its own. But the uniform and color mix is yikes. The maroon and red a struggling to work together. The grey makes the whole thing look that an insurance booklet from the 90s. Also, I get wanting to do something unique with the helmet, but they've got so much going on. Number on one side, which is overused it looks like in AAF. Sublimated logo around the back - when you've already got in in the helmet. Too much.

- Fleet. Again, really love the name. Really love the logo. Love the colors (mimics the Chargers a bit). Again, helmet has too much going on. Number on one side, unique striping underneath AND over top. Vest looking jersey. It's a military theme, dial it down and simplify.

- Legends. I don't know why, because it doesn't seem like it would fit, but I dig it. Name, crown logo. It works. Something is going on with the helmet coloring but it looks interesting. Only thing I'd say is stick the logo on both sides. Vest like jersey with ATL running down the side. I'd make it a solid purple and run the ATL down the legs. Not too bad though.

- Iron. In total I find this boring. There's not much detail in the pics they've released for the uniform but its clear the whole thing is a Raiders take. Black and Silver, fine colors. Logo is fine, boring. I hate the name. Its rare to have a singular non traditional name. When I say singular, I really mean a team not ending in "s". A name like Fleet is cool. But Iron? It's just kind of there. Its a metal. The team just feels like its there.

- Apollos. I kinda like the name, but its a little clunky paired with Orlando. Lot of o's. Miami or Tampa Apollos works better. That said, love the logo, the bow and figure fit well in the O. Colors are great. Helmets fine. I like taking the image of the archer out of the logo and using it, and it works well with the color. It's too far back and a bit too large. The only uni they show it the white (you'd assume away) uniform. Its dated 2000s stuff. Heavy shoulder yoke, color side panels on the jersey. Inoffensive but not exciting.

- This may be my favorite overall package. Red and blue always work well together and they're paired here in a basically traditional way. The name is ok. Not bad but not as unique as Fleet. The jersey could use a move to all blue and dropping that red shoulder effect (leave the red collar though). I need a better look at the side paneling, not crazy about it, but at a glance it doesn't look bad. What stands out is the helmet. Wow. The jet logo with the trail to the back of the helmet is non traditional but both makes sense AND works. And they've added the color transition going down but its both subtle AND it works as it gives something of an impression of a sky. Blue at the bottom of the helmet blends into the blue jersey. I'm impressed.
You're right about the numbers on the helmet, it's waaaay overused in the AAF. Logo on both sides is how it should be.
Ready for the team reveals...again
XFLSTLOUIS
Receiver

Post by XFLSTLOUIS »

For St. Louis, when you look at the fan survey, the combined total for the Stallions and Clydesdales is 23.5% indicating a strong preference for a horse themed logo/branding as the #1 preference for the people that voted as part of the survey
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

NO STALLIONS AND EVEN MORE - NO CLYDESDALES!!
Both names totally SUCK!
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

jcestl wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 pm NO STALLIONS AND EVEN MORE - NO CLYDESDALES!!
Both names totally SUCK!
YEAH!
Killianf
Rookie

Post by Killianf »

Ok. Contest over. Give me the season tickets. The name, the best name...on many levels: The Route
3CR
Kicker

Post by 3CR »

Big fan of the color scheme and logo. Best in the league hands down!
shirt_cummer
Kicker

Post by shirt_cummer »

3CR wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:06 am Big fan of the color scheme and logo. Best in the league hands down!
It's cute, and I like it. But nothing beats the elegance in simplicity of the Defenders. I'll be pulling for you folks though!
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It really pops live. Wasn't my favorite name or logo, but it looks great in action.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Oh_Canada
Linebacker

Post by Oh_Canada »

3CR wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:06 am Big fan of the color scheme and logo. Best in the league hands down!
I totally agree, 3CR! I'm going to order a jersey and a matching hat! I'll be so snazzy at the next Battlehawks viewing party.