XFL New York: 5 names that would be awesome for the upcoming team

MetLife Stadium, New York, New York
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL New York: 5 names that would be awesome for the upcoming team

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dome Head wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm Personally, I think the XFL shouldn't entirely shun its brief history.

The fact that the name can come back is because there is some recognition to it - the unique nature of the League.

My advice would be to strip away the dated and the stuff that didn't work but keep some notes so that it retains a bit of its history.

Names like the "Rage" and Maniax" and "Extreme" are extremely dated.

But Hitmen is great, classic and tough and fits the area. The logos were simple and sharp too.

I'd advise keeping this one the way it was.
There was recent study done on how many pro teams have their helmets reused for high school football teams. One of the most popular logos, was the Hitmen H. They did have a cool color scheme and logo. I wouldn't rule it our but I feel like the league wants to start fresh.
Dome Head
Kicker

Post by Dome Head »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 pm
Dome Head wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm Personally, I think the XFL shouldn't entirely shun its brief history.

The fact that the name can come back is because there is some recognition to it - the unique nature of the League.

My advice would be to strip away the dated and the stuff that didn't work but keep some notes so that it retains a bit of its history.

Names like the "Rage" and Maniax" and "Extreme" are extremely dated.

But Hitmen is great, classic and tough and fits the area. The logos were simple and sharp too.

I'd advise keeping this one the way it was.
There was recent study done on how many pro teams have their helmets reused for high school football teams. One of the most popular logos, was the Hitmen H. They did have a cool color scheme and logo. I wouldn't rule it our but I feel like the league wants to start fresh.
I definitely think the League wants to start fresh. And I think they will, and in a lot of ways should.

My only argument to them is that they're bringing back the XFL name because it has value from a previous existence. They could have called it AAF or FAA or USFA or a host of other combos. XFL had a value. As you pointed out, that logo had some staying power - I think part of that is because it had some late 90's early 2000s edge without being cheesy. I also dig the old school player secondary logo they had.

I think the Hitmen, Enforcers, Outlaws, Demons were all identities that had value to go further. I still really love the Outlaws entire look - one positive thing the Browns did in their current look is the color stitching similar to the Outlaws.

It would be nice to have just that pinch of connectivity.
wellington
Linebacker

Post by wellington »

NEW YORK EMPIRE. All black uniforms. New York is the Empire State after all. Why not have the team play at Red Bull Arena than Metlife Stadium???
The Name Prediction Signatures Are Here:
New York Empire
DC Defenders
Tampa Bay Tridents
St. Louis Rivermen

Seattle Sasquatch
LA Stars
Houston Roughnecks
Dallas Stampede
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

wellington wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm NEW YORK EMPIRE. All black uniforms. New York is the Empire State after all. Why not have the team play at Red Bull Arena than Metlife Stadium???
Honestly I have no idea why they picked MetLife :|
Ready for the team reveals...again
Hosbogs
Receiver

Post by Hosbogs »

25,000 for Red Bull arena n 82,000 for met life. I would rather be in a packed Red Bull arena then an empty feeling MetLife. I was a season ticket holder for the Hitmen and if I remember correctly the 1st home game was like 36,000. Naturally it was lower the remainder of the season. They are expecting bigger crowds then 25,000 I suppose?
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I seem to remember the New York Apples were a World Team Tennis franchise in the 70s. Knights was used in WLAF. I liked "Hitmen" (the old league had inventive names).....but again politics........not jumping up and down on anything I've seen.......Generals?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Hitmen would probably be less politically charged the Generals these days.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Top vote getter for NY

N.Y. Hitmen

It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

wellington wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm NEW YORK EMPIRE. All black uniforms. New York is the Empire State after all. Why not have the team play at Red Bull Arena than Metlife Stadium???
Maybe it's because the New York Red Bulls don't want football played at their stadium.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Here is my take on the New York Empire.
IMG_20190330_011856.jpg
IMG_20190330_011856.jpg (117.35 KiB) Viewed 22295 times