Los Angeles Team Names

Dignity Health Sports Park, Los Angeles, California.
XFL2020
Receiver

Los Angeles Team Names

Post by XFL2020 »

May I make a few suggestions:

Los Angeles Bears
Los Angeles Westies (or Westerns)
Los Angeles Pacifics

These probably shouldn't be considered because of their connection to disasters:
Los Angeles Earthquake
Los Angeles Wildfire
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Los Angeles Team Names

Post by MikeMitchell »

Los Angeles Sabercats
Los Angeles Stars
Los Angeles Archangels
Los Angeles Condors
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL2020 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:06 am May I make a few suggestions:

Los Angeles Bears
Los Angeles Westies (or Westerns)
Los Angeles Pacifics

These probably shouldn't be considered because of their connection to disasters:
Los Angeles Earthquake
Los Angeles Wildfire
I wonder if the league is going to steer clear of common sports names like Bears, Lions or Tigers. They might want to be more original.

Referring to the region is possible like The Westerners or Californians.

I agree that any names that could receive backlash based on their sensitivity could be out. In version 1 of the XFL, Any fire or quake references may have been used but I doubt that the league will take that approach this time.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

The Sabercats is a rumored name for XFL LA, here is a mock logo I found on Google:
1d44e4fec4f6d197f9bd7dfd4f32ed07.jpg
1d44e4fec4f6d197f9bd7dfd4f32ed07.jpg (16.44 KiB) Viewed 12247 times
Pretty nice. One thing the XFL needs to do with this logo is make the logo not look like the Nashville Predators one.
Ready for the team reveals...again
AkinCrow
Receiver

Post by AkinCrow »

Los Angeles Guardians or some name for the incident of the Battle of Los Angeles in 1942, like Invaders, Strikers, Aerial Barrage, or something like that. Please list of name ideas for the Battle of Los Angeles incident. Here is some of my list of Los Angeles names... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RxiyWxMJA
Dome Head
Kicker

Post by Dome Head »

I think Quakes is fine.

We've got a pro team and a college team named the Hurricanes. We have the Iowa State Cyclones. Powerful natural phenomena are great ideas. When was the last devastating quake in LA? You get more twisters and hurricanes in the mid west and east coast than you do powerful quakes in LA.

Now, Wildfires I'd agree with you. That's too recent and too frequent and likely too sensitive.

For LA I tend to think of the obvious - Hollywood.

The LA Stars.

Then I was thinking of something to do with orange growers and oddly that got me to think of the Rocketeer. Set in 40s/50s LA - the golden age of Hollywood. And I started to think of a guy like Howard Hughes.

LA Aviators. Or Wingmen. Or Aces. Give the whole thing a 40s prop dog fighter look.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dome Head wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:24 pm I think Quakes is fine.

We've got a pro team and a college team named the Hurricanes. We have the Iowa State Cyclones. Powerful natural phenomena are great ideas. When was the last devastating quake in LA? You get more twisters and hurricanes in the mid west and east coast than you do powerful quakes in LA.

Now, Wildfires I'd agree with you. That's too recent and too frequent and likely too sensitive.

The LA Stars.

Then I was thinking of something to do with orange growers and oddly that got me to think of the Rocketeer. Set in 40s/50s LA - the golden age of Hollywood. And I started to think of a guy like Howard Hughes.

LA Aviators. Or Wingmen. Or Aces. Give the whole thing a 40s prop dog fighter look.
As a USFL fan as a kid. I always wanted The Stars name to return in Football. The name always fits LA.

Aviators is cool. I am surprised that more teams haven’t gone with that name.
Dome Head
Kicker

Post by Dome Head »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:45 pm

The LA Stars.

As a USFL fan as a kid. I always wanted The Stars name to return in Football. The name always fits LA.

Aviators is cool. I am surprised that more teams haven’t gone with that name.
I think there have been some similar names in the minors - Houston had the Aeroes hockey team, they may still actually. Iowa had the Barnstormers indoor football team. But yeah, it's a fun name.

Frankly I'm surprised there are some names that haven't made it to the pros. It took a long time before someone picked Sharks. "Spiders" would be a great name. My city had a roller hockey team for a minute named the Vipers - that's infinitely better than Diamondbacks.

Oh well.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

The LA Stars.

The Quakes is already the name of a minor league baseball team in nearby Rancho Cucamonga. Doesn't necessarily rule that name out but I think makes it less likely. Another name in a similar vein that was suggested on reddit is the Shock or Shocks.

Sabercats seems to be the prevailing name so far. It makes sense and is a perfectly respectable name but for some reason I just find it underwhelming. Maybe I'm just wanting something more original since this was already an Arena league name. Aviators is a cool name but I'm not sure many people would make the connection to LA.

I'm the end I don't care that much but I guess of all the names floated so far I'd prefer the LA Shocks.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 am

The LA Stars.

The Quakes is already the name of a minor league baseball team in nearby Rancho Cucamonga. Doesn't necessarily rule that name out but I think makes it less likely. Another name in a similar vein that was suggested on reddit is the Shock or Shocks.

Sabercats seems to be the prevailing name so far. It makes sense and is a perfectly respectable name but for some reason I just find it underwhelming. Maybe I'm just wanting something more original since this was already an Arena league name. Aviators is a cool name but I'm not sure many people would make the connection to LA.

I'm the end I don't care that much but I guess of all the names floated so far I'd prefer the LA Shocks.
Isn't the LA Shocks a bit too close to the LA Chargers?
Ready for the team reveals...again