Houston Oiler Type Team Names

Rice Stadium, Houston, Texas (Not officially confirmed)
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Houston Oiler Type Team Names

Post by MikeMitchell »

How close does The XFL come to giving this team an "Oiler" type name?

I have seen some of these names suggested online and on Houston media. All of them Oil related.

Houston Derricks
Houston Drillers
Houston Wildcatters (A cool name regardless, it's for a person who drills for oil in areas that are not expected to produce it)

The XFL can take a combative approach with the NFL and try and brand their team as close to being The Oilers without actually naming them as such. When The CFL expanded to the states, they tried to name their Baltimore franchise, The Colts. It didn't really work out. There was a stretch where they were called The CFL Colts, before being branded as The Stallions, which is pretty closely related. They even went with similar colors.

The Stallions did well in the CFL. They drew decent crowds. They averaged 33,000 per game in two seasons. Which was the best in the entire CFL. They actually won the Grey Cup and became CFL champs in 1995. The NFL decided to come back to Baltimore as a result and that basically ran the Stallions out of Baltimore.

The XFL is in a unique position of potential team branding in two NFL abandoned areas. St. Louis of course, and the death of the beloved Oilers in Houston.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Houston Oiler Type Team Names

Post by MarkNelson »

Your Baltimore comparison is good. Still, I wonder if the XFL will want anything close to the NFL? We will see in due time.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

One name that is rumored for XFL Houston is the Generals. Here is a logo from the Greensboro Generals, which was a East Coast Hockey League team from 1999-2004. The logo still is good for a mock logo as the star would represent Texas as the "lone star state", and the G stand for Generals.
GensLogo.png
GensLogo.png (15.97 KiB) Viewed 10189 times
Ready for the team reveals...again
XFL2k
Rookie

Post by XFL2k »

I'm kind of hoping on the Houston Oil Barons...
Dome Head
Kicker

Post by Dome Head »

I like the idea. Wildcatters is great and unique. Doesn't roll well off the tongue. I like Drillers too.

Lean into it without being too on the nose. Instead of a Derrick as a logo, maybe a drop of oil. Do a little what the Titans did with playing around the old colors. Go navy blue as a main but with the light blue and red as accents.

I could see a uniform with the light blue helmet, red mask, navy blue oil drop logo. Navy jersey with light blue and red striping. Light blue pants with navy and red striping.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL2k wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:44 pm I'm kind of hoping on the Houston Oil Barons...
Lawsuit waiting to happen but cool name nonetheless.

A Roughneck is also "Oiler related" and could end up being the team name.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dome Head wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:10 pm I like the idea. Wildcatters is great and unique. Doesn't roll well off the tongue. I like Drillers too.

Lean into it without being too on the nose. Instead of a Derrick as a logo, maybe a drop of oil. Do a little what the Titans did with playing around the old colors. Go navy blue as a main but with the light blue and red as accents.

I could see a uniform with the light blue helmet, red mask, navy blue oil drop logo. Navy jersey with light blue and red striping. Light blue pants with navy and red striping.
Love the term "too on the nose". The XFL can try to be sneaky with it by masking their color scheme, to look like an updated version of the Oilers. The Adams family estate and lawyers are probably waiting for the XFL to reveal their team name.
Dome Head
Kicker

Post by Dome Head »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 pm
Dome Head wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:10 pm I like the idea. Wildcatters is great and unique. Doesn't roll well off the tongue. I like Drillers too.

Love the term "too on the nose". The XFL can try to be sneaky with it by masking their color scheme, to look like an updated version of the Oilers. The Adams family estate and lawyers are probably waiting for the XFL to reveal their team name.
As a side note, it was just an awful decision not to work out for the Houston Texans to use the name Oilers. Texans is a bland name. There are so many fond memories for people that don't even live in Houston of the Oilers.
MikeSherman
Receiver

Post by MikeSherman »

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what's legal and what's not. The NFL was still using the Colts name, so that might have been a different situation? A more contemporary comparison might the Connecticut Whale, a Hartford Whalers-inspired AHL team and now NWHL team. Is there anything stopping the XFL from coming out with the Houston Oiler or Houston Oil?

I'm on board with them just naming the team the Houston Oilers and risking the lawsuit. The publicity would probably be worth the court costs. More importantly, it's just a great brand that ought to still exist. Football deserves the Houston Oilers.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeSherman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 pm I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what's legal and what's not. The NFL was still using the Colts name, so that might have been a different situation? A more contemporary comparison might the Connecticut Whale, a Hartford Whalers-inspired AHL team and now NWHL team. Is there anything stopping the XFL from coming out with the Houston Oiler or Houston Oil?

I'm on board with them just naming the team the Houston Oilers and risking the lawsuit. The publicity would probably be worth the court costs. More importantly, it's just a great brand that ought to still exist. Football deserves the Houston Oilers.
As they say "any publicity is good publicity." Especially with a startup league. I'd be all in on the Oilers, Generals or Gamblers.
Ready for the team reveals...again