Why Bob Stoops chose the XFL, his advice to Kyler Murray, plus three more takeaways from his press conference

Choctaw Stadium, Arlington, Texas.
Loogan
Kicker

Why Bob Stoops chose the XFL, his advice to Kyler Murray, plus three more takeaways from his press conference

Post by Loogan »

Good article for Dallas fans: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas ... conference

ARLINGTON -- As the music blared and the lights flashed, Bob Stoops was introduced Thursday at Globe Life Park as the head coach and general manager of the XFL's new Dallas franchise.

The team does not yet have a name or players or assistant coaches, but they now have the former Oklahoma head coach leading the way as the season is scheduled to begin next February.

"I believe there are enough crazy football fans out there that still want more football," Stoops said. "You give them a good product and they want to watch it."

To get you caught up on Thursday's news conference, which included Stoops and XFL Commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck, here are five things you need to know.

1. Why now for Stoops?

Less than two years since he retired from coaching at Oklahoma, why would the 58-year-old decide this is the right job for him? Stoops mentioned several reasons, including location and productive phone conversations with both Luck and XFL Founder and Chairman Vince McMahon.

"I believe in the guy's success and the way he's done things," Stoops said of McMahon. "I have a lot of confidence in him."

Stoops added: "Initially, I was like I don't think that would be something that I would want to do. Then a week later, Oliver called and we got to talking more about it and I got to thinking about it more, paid closer attention to it and talked to my wife more about it, and it clicked."

2. What is Stoops expecting from his roster and coaching staff?

The XFL belief is that although they won't be able to compete with NFL salaries, they could attract players at the bottom of active rosters and practice squads looking for more opportunity and playing time.

"It will take a lot of film study and analytics and a lot of work from your staff to try and find the right guys," Stoops said. "Even if it isn't the NFL level, there are still a lot of very good football players out there that may have been cut after two or three years or maybe just made it to the last cut on an NFL roster and all of a sudden they need a place to go.

"And these are going to be guys coming out of school that played a lot of football and that are experienced in this game. I believe we'll be able to put a great, fun, exciting product out on the field."

In regards to his coaching staff, Stoops says he has recently received a "million" text messages from coaches, some congratulating him and some looking for an opportunity to be on his staff.

His brother, Mike Stoops, is not expected to be on the staff. "Mike will be looking to get back into college football," Bob Stoops said. "I'm sure."

Stoops said he thinks they will hire coordinators within the next month and a half and then hire the rest of the staff in the early summer.

3. Other notable Stoops comments

Immediately following the news conference, Stoops took questions from reporters for roughly 15 minutes.

What's his advice for former Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray, who is facing a decision to either play professional baseball or football?

"Follow his own heart, as I'm doing, of how he wants to live," Stoops said. "What's in your heart? What's going to fulfill you? And go for it. Whatever it may be."

At one point Stoops was asked about the speculation surrounding why he retired so close to the start of the college football season in June of 2017.

Stoops: "You were waiting for the other shoe to drop, weren't you?"

Reporter: Kind of, yeah.

Stoops: "And there isn't one. And you found out that it was actually a really good time, wasn't it?"

Reporter: I don't know.

Stoops: "How has OU done since? Did they lose any recruits when I stepped down?"

Reporter: Is there any truth to the conspiracy that Oklahoma wanted you to step down and retire?

Stoops: "I don't even need to answer that."

Reporter: That's a no?

Stoops: "Yeah."

4. How similar will the 2020 XFL be to the 2001 XFL?

Rod Smart, a player for the Las Vegas Outlaws, famously wore the name "He Hate Me" on the back of his jersey. Luck specifically said nicknames on jerseys aren't expected to be part of the new league.

"There will be very little that we'll have in common with XFL 2001," Luck added. "I think there were a number of things done that I would consider gimmicky and I can tell you that Bob Stoops doesn't do gimmicks. I don't do gimmicks. The Texas Rangers don't do gimmicks. We want to have a serious football league that has a high quality of play."

5. An advantage the XFL might have over the NFL

The NFL has a rule that prevents players from participating until three years after high school. The XFL will not have that same requirement, opening up the possibility of a player joining the league straight out of high school.

"I want to get all of my coaches hired and really have an in-depth discussion with them about what our approach, what our posture will be, but we will sign folks who are not eligible for the NFL," Luck said. "I don't think it will be a cornerstone of our league, but if we believe a young man is physically mature enough, mentally mature enough, emotionally mature enough to play professional football then I won't have any hesitation to sign that individual."
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Why Bob Stoops chose the XFL, his advice to Kyler Murray, plus three more takeaways from his press conference

Post by MikeMitchell »

Great article.