That one stung...

Choctaw Stadium, Arlington, Texas.
TheRenegade
Linebacker

That one stung...

Post by TheRenegade »

Not going to lie, that L hurt. We have imo one of the better rosters in the league, but qb play has been our Achilles heel. Simply put, our defense is pretty solid and our rb tandem with Payne & Dunbar is as good as anyone else out there. Yet, we can't get that 42-14 win like Houston gets because we don't have the right guy back there losing Jones only makes the issue worse so I feel we must address it. Considering this is year one the champion this year will be immortalized so I feel it's important not to give up. We can't afford to lose 2-3 games in a row, so I came up with a few names I thought would help keep us afloat. If anyone would like to add anything please chime in as our board is dead in activity.

1.) Sam Bradford. He's a whily veteran and has Oklahoma ties. Should be extremely familiar with Stoops. I realize he really doesn't need the money, but if he wants to play football, we could have a significant upgrade on our hands. Possibly our own Rich Gannon type situation.

2.) EJ Manuel. While he didn't exactly set the NFL on fire, the XFL is a slight step down in competition. He's got a decent arm, and solid mobility. He's got enough experience to shine and a good showing would help him get his foot back in the door in the NFL.

3.) Blake Simms. He's been coached by the greatest coach in College football history. A winning pedigree and he's shown keen interest in playing in the XFL. If he is looking for the opportunity, it could be worth a shot.

4.) Zach Mettenberger. As an LSU fan, I could be a bit partial, but I read recently he's doing absolutely nothing right now but trying to get back into professional football. He's a quality quarterback who's played stiff competition. Pretty tough guy with a decent arm. I don't see much to lose.
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: That one stung...

Post by Andibald »

TheRenegade wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:07 pm Not going to lie, that L hurt. We have imo one of the better rosters in the league, but qb play has been our Achilles heel. Simply put, our defense is pretty solid and our rb tandem with Payne & Dunbar is as good as anyone else out there. Yet, we can't get that 42-14 win like Houston gets because we don't have the right guy back there losing Jones only makes the issue worse so I feel we must address it. Considering this is year one the champion this year will be immortalized so I feel it's important not to give up. We can't afford to lose 2-3 games in a row, so I came up with a few names I thought would help keep us afloat. If anyone would like to add anything please chime in as our board is dead in activity.

1.) Sam Bradford. He's a whily veteran and has Oklahoma ties. Should be extremely familiar with Stoops. I realize he really doesn't need the money, but if he wants to play football, we could have a significant upgrade on our hands. Possibly our own Rich Gannon type situation.

2.) EJ Manuel. While he didn't exactly set the NFL on fire, the XFL is a slight step down in competition. He's got a decent arm, and solid mobility. He's got enough experience to shine and a good showing would help him get his foot back in the door in the NFL.

3.) Blake Simms. He's been coached by the greatest coach in College football history. A winning pedigree and he's shown keen interest in playing in the XFL. If he is looking for the opportunity, it could be worth a shot.

4.) Zach Mettenberger. As an LSU fan, I could be a bit partial, but I read recently he's doing absolutely nothing right now but trying to get back into professional football. He's a quality quarterback who's played stiff competition. Pretty tough guy with a decent arm. I don't see much to lose.
The tough part about getting another quality QB, is the players must come from Team 9. I don't know how long they have to stay there or what which team has top priority at this point. It makes signing a player off the street a little more tricky.

Blake Simms was recently signed by the Spokane Shock in the IFL. I saw Tommy Armstrong JR had a try out for Team 9 last week. Also, Dungy could be back soon.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't think a street free agent is forthcoming, but I would want Air Raid experience, not Stoops experience. So I'd be pining for Luke Falk if I were a Renegades fan.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
TheRenegade
Linebacker

Post by TheRenegade »

Depressing... So this was the first time I heard about the team 9 thing. I feel like a dummy. Well it's an awful limitation for the league I'm afraid. I love the XFL but it shouldn't be a requirement. So essentially, you are stuck if you don't find a player who fits your criteria unless they are on that little 40 man practice squad... LAME.
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

Unfortunately, I don't see someone off the street being a savior anyway. A QB needs to get in time with the rest of the offense. I don't want to say the season is over for Dallas since half the league will make it to the playoffs, and with a few weeks under his belt we might see performance improvements from Nelson. Hopefully he can learn to read down field better.
Raising heck...
StoneSentry
Running Back

Post by StoneSentry »

Good game, guys. I'm sorry about Landry. Dallas isn't quite the same team without him and it shows. Nelson made some good throws and even got some first downs with his legs.

If you do get another backup, I don't think there's a time limit on free agency. So theoretically, the kind of guy you need could be signed by the XFL to Team 9 and then straight to the Renegades. (Derek Dennis followed the same path to New York.)

With how the West is shaping up, Dallas is still very much in playoff contention.
jjnova
Running Back

Post by jjnova »

StoneSentry wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:38 pm Good game, guys. I'm sorry about Landry. Dallas isn't quite the same team without him and it shows. Nelson made some good throws and even got some first downs with his legs.

If you do get another backup, I don't think there's a time limit on free agency. So theoretically, the kind of guy you need could be signed by the XFL to Team 9 and then straight to the Renegades. (Derek Dennis followed the same path to New York.)

With how the West is shaping up, Dallas is still very much in playoff contention.
It was a pretty good game. Congrats on the win. That 4th quarter was great. I think Nelson was looking a bit better, and still think he just needs to get more in sync with the guys he's working with. He's not great at leading the guys at this time but that can be fixed with practice.
Raising heck...
freewheeler26
Linebacker

Post by freewheeler26 »

Well I hope things do improve but we will see what happens this weekend after the coaching changes.