OT: FedEx to fund $25 million for Memphis NIL

United Football League (2024) Discussion
4th&long
MVP

OT: FedEx to fund $25 million for Memphis NIL

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -athletes/

>> FedEx has announced a massive $25 million name, image and likeness investment in Memphis athletics that will fund $5 million in NIL contracts over each of the next five years in key sports while promoting the company. The deal is believed to be the biggest corporate NIL partnership of its type in college athletics. <<

OT but related as FedEx (founded by Fred Smith) is investing via NIL into the NCAA FB Memphis Tigers.  Need FedEx/Smith to get into more UFL next.  Smith was the driver for the TB Bandits moving to Memphis.

BTW - This is what NIL should be instead of a "collective" of wealthy alum paying off players.

ALSO the start will be the Memphis Tigers Spring Game - which is this Saturday against the BH Showboats game:

>> Memphis football spring game time, ticket informationInstead of the usual Friday Night Stripes game, the Tigers will play on Saturday afternoon.Parking lots open at 11 a.m. with gates opening at 2 p.m. and kickoff at 3 p.m.Admission is free. Seating will be available on the west side of the stadium.

FedEx is the largest employer in the state of Tennessee and an institution in the city of Memphis. Founder Fred Smith has been a longtime benefactor of the program, including a $50 million donation to renovate Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. Memphis basketball plays at the FedEx Forum, the same arena as the Memphis Grizzlies. <<

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 308200007/
MGB01
MVP

Re: OT: FedEx to fund $25 million for Memphis NIL

Post by MGB01 »

Why are you highlighting something that is not good for the league long-term and only reinforces how clueless the USFL was in retrospect?

Yeah yeah I know, you were "against" it.............................
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 pm Why are you highlighting something that is not good for the league long-term and only reinforces how clueless the USFL was in retrospect?

Yeah yeah I know, you were "against" it.............................
How is this not good for the league - what it shows me is that FedEx and Smith are all in on Memphis and UFL is there!!
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Um no, he's all in on the University of Memphis, has nothing to do with the Showboats. And when they get 6000 next Sunday please continue about how this is such a great thing..................
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm Um no, he's all in on the University of Memphis, has nothing to do with the Showboats. And when they get 6000 next Sunday please continue about how this is such a great thing..................
Fred Smith was the reason TB was moved to Memphis... he's interested
BattleHawks
Running Back

Post by BattleHawks »

at least they will still have memphis tigers football after this year
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

Yeah, I'm not seeing this as a positive for the Showboats. It makes me think he sees more benefit in investing in Mempiss University over the Showboats.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Lone Star" wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 am Yeah, I'm not seeing this as a positive for the Showboats. It makes me think he sees more benefit in investing in Mempiss University over the Showboats.

He's got more than enough money but this really wasn't his at all,  Also one is fall the other is spring.  One is for NIL from a corp - ie deduction...
The other is as an individual to be an owner.  But he also donated $50mm in 2023 or 2022 for stadium rehab too.

Bottomline its not an affluent city and the UFL needs to adjust accordingly to maximize the city's interest and Smith's
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:27 am
Lone Star" wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 am Yeah, I'm not seeing this as a positive for the Showboats. It makes me think he sees more benefit in investing in Mempiss University over the Showboats.

He's got more than enough money but this really wasn't his at all,  Also one is fall the other is spring.  One is for NIL from a corp - ie deduction...
The other is as an individual to be an owner.  But he also donated $50mm in 2023 or 2022 for stadium rehab too.

Bottomline its not an affluent city and the UFL needs to adjust accordingly to maximize the city's interest and Smith's
So you just admitted ONCE AGAIN how dumb the USFL was for reaching out for him in the first place (probably cause Shanks' grand plan to land investors/owners was really more a bland plan--funny how Marchand never investigated that), yet now the league's not only stuck for the next three years trying to break even, forget trying to get a dollar out of it, but now they have to coddle him? GFL......................................

50M to get 6-7K and maybe 100 viewers in the local market. Sign me up........................

:roll: