Why are the Renegades, Panthers, and the Showboats having such a hard time getting people to attend games?

United Football League (2024) Discussion
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Why are the Renegades, Panthers, and the Showboats having such a hard time getting people to attend games?

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

I understand the topic has been talked about in other threads but I guess I’m looking for something a bit more in depth about why it is no on seems to be showing up. Do they just not care, lack of advertising or promotion, a combination of both or are there other reasons? Can anything be done to fix this? I just don’t see these teams being able to stick around if you can’t even get 10k to show up. 
Last edited by XFLUSFLGUY on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: Why are the Panthers and the showboats having such a hard time getting people to attend games?

Post by laxtreme56 »

Usfl tickets were dirt cheap last year, and now they aren’t. Teams were also living in their market, but now are all hubbed in Arlington. The aura of spring being a constant failure doesn’t help bring confidence either. So basically it’s a few different factors. MLS averaged 18k their first season, then dropped to 14.5k the next. It took over a decade to beat their inaugural numbers. Not saying it’ll take the UFL that long, but probably a good 3-5 years to stabilize realistically.
https://koresoftware.com/looking-at-mls ... the-years/
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Why are the Panthers and the showboats having such a hard time getting people to attend games?

Post by GregParks »

Also have to mention the late start Michigan got in selling not only season tickets, but individual game tickets. I'm not sure to what level that may have hurt ticket sales, but it certainly didn't help. 
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:00 pm I understand the topic has been talked about in other threads but I guess I’m looking for something a bit more in depth about why it is no on seems to be showing up. Do they just not care, lack of advertising or promotion, a combination of both or are there other reasons? Can anything be done to fix this? I just don’t see these teams being able to stick around if you can’t even get 10k to show up. 

Many of us listed the reasons already but here goes.  Also the gap is really minimal and can be made up.  XFL put more effort into selling than USFL in 2023 and they had a better based. 

1) The Biggest reason, memphis population is way smaller than others other UFL Markets.  All things being equal, the smaller the available population the less people in general attend events.  That just common sense.

AR  8.1 million   (XFL avg attendance in 2023 =12054 per game)
Hous 7.5 million (XFL avg attendance in 2023 =11768 per game)
DC  6.3 million (XFL avg attendance in 2023 =14269 per game)
Det 4.3 million
StL 2.8 million (XFL avg attendance in 2023 =35104 per game)
SA 2.7 million (XFL avg attendance in 2023 =14982 per game skewed with 1 game over 24k)
Mem 1.3 million
Birm 1.2 million

Based on these numbers... are cities like AR, Houston and DC performing performing well enough?
BTW I'm on record as NOT agreeing with moving the TB Bandits to Memphis due to the much smaller market size and stagnate growth there.

2) What LAextreme said is also true Usfl tickets were dirt cheap last year, and now they aren’t.  Look at what tickets are selling in Mich and which aren't - the $60 seats aren't the $25 and $20 are,

3) Also what LA Etxreme said - Teams were also living in their market, but now are all hubbed in Arlington.  Memphis press also pointed this out in Article.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 149803007/

4) What GP said about Mich is very much true - a major FkUP by UFL: "Also have to mention the late start Michigan got in selling not only season tickets, but individual game tickets. I'm not sure to what level that may have hurt ticket sales, but it certainly didn't help. "

Let me add here - looking at the avail seating chart for tickets  these weeks available at MIch - it appears only 10-11k (outside of box club seats) are  even available for sale.

5) Memphis, which was the USFL Tampa Bay Bndits in 2022,  it worked better for USFL for travel cost and low cost to operate with better attendance in 2023 due to practicing in market and being new also much lower priced.

6) Memphis was selected with the help of Fed Ex founder Fred Smith, who was also showing interest as an potential owner of the team.  If he loses interest in ownership, Memphis loses appeal for the League.

7) Also XFL put much more effort into selling than USFL in 2023 and they had a better based to build off. With less than 3 months since the actual merger the Tix Sales push seen in XFL wasn't given much time to take flourish in MIch/Memphis.

8) The AAF failure.  Remember they had the Memphis Express in 2019 and folded - leaving bad taste in local fans mouth.  Same thing is negatively impacting SA with the AAF Commanders which averaged 28k a game, double what the Brahmas did in 2023-24 so far.

Can Memphis be a watered down SA or StL at about half the size?  Possibly, but its not a very affluent city, its not growing like SA either.  They'll need to price tix accordingly in 2025, do a better job promoting with local TV affiliates and other media.  Improve marketing.   Work with local press and adapt to the remote model of interviews etc... Get the local Government to help promote as well, UFL is legeit and a city like Memphis would be wise not to lose another team

Bottomline - don't panic. 2-5k a game is peanuts.  Michigan's going nowhere unless Ford Field becomes problematic.  Memphis is the smallest TV market by far and thats a bigger issue for the league IMO,  if attendance weakness also continues they may be moved.  On the Plus side, its inexpensive for the league and in a biz friendly state,   Getting 3-5k more fans their in 2025 should be doable.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Showboats now selling $10 tickets for certain sections per a press release today.

@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm Showboats now selling $10 tickets for certain sections per a press release today.

Good - UFL adjusting fast - should have been a few weeks ago but like the pivot
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

I appreciate the responses. My hope is that the league executives don’t panic because of the low attendance and decide to pull the plug on these franchises early. I am a believer that more time is needed and what is extremely important is continuity and consistency. If there’s doubt that the league or the teams will be there in a year or 2, it’s probably going to cause people to hesitate in committing time money and resources to a fan base. Hopefully things will improve. 
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:40 am I appreciate the responses. My hope is that the league executives don’t panic because of the low attendance and decide to pull the plug on these franchises early. I am a believer that more time is needed and what is extremely important is continuity and consistency. If there’s doubt that the league or the teams will be there in a year or 2, it’s probably going to cause people to hesitate in committing time money and resources to a fan base. Hopefully things will improve. 

I don't think so.  There are benefits to these low cost markets.  Birm also has lowered some seats to $10 - but they may have raised others.  the $10 Birm seats are in the corners.  I think they'd do better selling both sides of the stadium in the middle like MIch as those more expensive seats in Birm sold vs the cheaper worse view seats.   Each market needs its own plan.

Arlington ticket site has alot more tix available this week,  Its a a league issue.  The good news is high priced DC did ok.  And StL is carrying the load. 
They need SA to get up to AAF SA levels (avg 27k).  That's a tall order but between 15-20k would be great.  That would help cover the lesser rev generators.

Look at the ticket sites from the UFL website and remember to look at both Single and Season to get a full picture. 
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

I think SA is a perfect example of what I was trying to say. As someone who lives in SA, The level of fandom and interest and people showing up for the Brahmas just isn’t the same as it was for the Commanders and I think a lot of that is because of the hurt feelings over how the AAF season ended. The way the team was just ripped away after gaining that support I think is a major contributor to the attendance numbers being what they are now. I’m in no way saying it’s impossible for those numbers to return with the Brahmas, but I think in general, people are tired of being burned and just aren’t as willing to put their money out there for something they aren’t confident will be around. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, people will start to make the decision to jump off the fence and have hope and faith that it will, and will come out and support their teams. 
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

One thing San Antonio seems to have going for it is the local media angle. Greg Luca of the Express-News is on every Brahmas media call that I've been on, so that kind of coverage will only help in both the short and long run. 
@gregmparks