Big time Football "Retirements" and UFL

United Football League (2024) Discussion
4th&long
MVP

Big time Football "Retirements" and UFL

Post by 4th&long »

With Nick Saban, Pete Carroll and Bill Belicheck out of CFB/NFL - could they be lured into the UFL?

Its almost a shame they were released after decision were already made but likely not this year anyway.

We've seen some big time coaches jump to spring FB with AAF thru UFL, Steve Spurrier, Bob Stoops, Mike Martz, Wade Phillips and others. No one as accomplished as the recent three, but certainly some in same ball park.

Can you imagine a Nick Saban lead Birmingham or Seattle Sea Dragon return with Pete Caroll ?

I'm not saying this is happening, but these guys are getting old and yet its hard to give up the game. Whether as a TV analyst or advisory. But now with the UFL and its 4 week camp, 10-12 week season, minimal if any offseason its a way to stay in the "game" without the rigor. aka Stoops and Wade.

Landing one of these guys would be a splash for the league, time will tell.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Big time Football "Retirements" and UFL

Post by MGB01 »

A la George Allen in the OG

Pete could be the guy to make the Bay Area a thing (provided they find a venue, not a great supply) with his BA roots--Pacific, Niners DC, coached his last game at SC in the SF Bowl. Also kind of the same way the Invaders had two ex-Raiders (Raymond Chester, Cedrick Hardman). LA would be too, hell Richard Sherman's already pushed him for the Chargers.

Seattle? Not really. Hell I'm just enjoying reading DawgPound, which is already nuclear enough, getting violent over the thought of him at UW :lol:
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:26 am With Nick Saban, Pete Carroll and Bill Belicheck out of CFB/NFL - could they be lured into the UFL?

Its almost a shame they were released after decision were already made but likely not this year anyway.

We've seen some big time coaches jump to spring FB with AAF thru UFL, Steve Spurrier, Bob Stoops, Mike Martz, Wade Phillips and others. No one as accomplished as the recent three, but certainly some in same ball park.

Can you imagine a Nick Saban lead Birmingham or Seattle Sea Dragon return with Pete Caroll ?

I'm not saying this is happening, but these guys are getting old and yet its hard to give up the game. Whether as a TV analyst or advisory. But now with the UFL and its 4 week camp, 10-12 week season, minimal if any offseason its a way to stay in the "game" without the rigor. aka Stoops and Wade.

Belichick is getting another NFL coaching job. All the scuttlebutt is Atlanta, but there is also talk that Belichick is going to wait to see if Dallas, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay open up this weekend (there are rumors about Mike Tomlin and Andy Reid, but I have my doubts that there will be an opening in KC, even if they lose this weekend, which is doubtful).

Saban is probably replacing Lee Corso on College Gameday.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

BTW Stoops did get a lone left field mention in the DawgPound wake.

While Stoops is an OG B1G guy, he has no experience outside the Midwest other than Florida. And he isn't at the beginning of his prime like DeBoer either where he can just pick up and forge a new territory (likely the reason he never really became a serious FSU candidate even though it wouldn't have been new for him).
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:20 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:26 am With Nick Saban, Pete Carroll and Bill Belicheck out of CFB/NFL - could they be lured into the UFL?

Belichick is getting another NFL coaching job. All the scuttlebutt is Atlanta, but there is also talk that Belichick is going to wait to see if Dallas, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay open up this weekend (there are rumors about Mike Tomlin and Andy Reid, but I have my doubts that there will be an opening in KC, even if they lose this weekend, which is doubtful).

Agree on Belicheck. He wants to coach and someone eg Atlanta will get him. He's so close to the HC win record - he wants that too.

And sure Saban or any of them could do tv. But if they get the itch they could be open to the UFL with their relatively short time commitment. AND coaching in the UFL does not preclude them from doing CFB/NFL tv in the fall. I think Caroll would be most likely now. But in 3 years more so.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:53 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:20 pm

Agree on Belicheck. He wants to coach and someone eg Atlanta will get him. He's so close to the HC win record - he wants that too.

And sure Saban or any of them could do tv. But if they get the itch they could be open to the UFL with their relatively short time commitment. AND coaching in the UFL does not preclude them from doing CFB/NFL tv in the fall. I think Caroll would be most likely now. But in 3 years more so.
Saban isn't coming back to coach ever.