NYP: ESPN, NFL in adv. talks on agreement for equity stake

United Football League (2024) Discussion
4th&long
MVP

NYP: ESPN, NFL in adv. talks on agreement for equity stake

Post by 4th&long »

https://nypost.com/2024/01/12/sports/es ... -tv-giant/

>> ESPN and the NFL are in advanced talks that could result in the league taking an equity stake in ESPN, The Post has learned.

As part of a potential agreement, Disney-owned ESPN would take control of NFL Media, which includes NFL Network, and the league would receive equity in ESPN.

For the long-term viability of ESPN aligning with the most powerful sports league would enhance its position as the network plans to move to direct to consumer by 2025.

While the idea of an ESPN-NFL alliance has been mentioned before, discussions between Disney-owned ESPN and the NFL are far enough along that sources said that owners and the Players Association are being informed about the talks. <<

And NBC's peacock just paid $110mm for th KC Miani playoff game - just FYI :mrgreen:, at some point the economics don't make sense. But NFL has always been a loss leader for networks to promote their shows. Now Peacock using it to attact subscribers.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: NYP: ESPN, NFL in adv. talks on agreement for equity stake

Post by GDAWG »

the NBA, NHL and MLB will also want equity stakes in ESPN.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:12 pm And NBC's peacock just paid $110mm for th KC Miani playoff game - just FYI :mrgreen:, at some point the economics don't make sense. But NFL has always been a loss leader for networks to promote their shows. Now Peacock using it to attact subscribers.
And see mid 90s CBS and late 90s-mid 00s NBC to see if it's a good idea not to have it.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:41 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:12 pm And NBC's peacock just paid $110mm for th KC Miani playoff game - just FYI :mrgreen:, at some point the economics don't make sense. But NFL has always been a loss leader for networks to promote their shows. Now Peacock using it to attact subscribers.
And see mid 90s CBS and late 90s-mid 00s NBC to see if it's a good idea not to have it.
Yes but thats pre-cord cutting, and pre-streaming services and prior to NFL rights fee explosion. The reasons for having it and economics behind it have changed. NBC is not a pure play media company like Fox or CBS so they have deeper pockets.
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

How does this affect the UFL? Just to be clear, I’m not being sarcastic, I genuinely am wondering.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I can't see ESPN selling equity to just the NFL. MLB, NHL and NBA will all want in too, especially the NBA, who has a lot of their national TV broadcasts through ESPN. Besides, I doubt ESPN wants to lose Kendrick Perkins.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:53 am How does this affect the UFL? Just to be clear, I’m not being sarcastic, I genuinely am wondering.
Many ways. Will ESPN have diff priorities if they have a new ownership stake from NFL? Will they want more spring FB or will it be "meh".

When a major partner in UFL is up for sale, even partially its something to watch.

And what will be the impact on streaming vs cable vs broadcast? This could be a game changer or it could be a dud either way its a big shift in the sports media landscape.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:53 am How does this affect the UFL? Just to be clear, I’m not being sarcastic, I genuinely am wondering.
Anytime the ownership structure of a company changes, it's fair to wonder what kind of alterations will be made. That said, I can't see the NFL having a stake in ESPN changing anything for the UFL. The NFL and UFL don't have an adversarial relationship and both are already on ESPN. Most higher-ups in the NFL also acknowledge the need for a league like the UFL, and cutting off half of its broadcast coverage certainly wouldn't be helping it survive.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:57 pm
Anytime the ownership structure of a company changes, it's fair to wonder what kind of alterations will be made. That said, I can't see the NFL having a stake in ESPN changing anything for the UFL. The NFL and UFL don't have an adversarial relationship and both are already on ESPN. Most higher-ups in the NFL also acknowledge the need for a league like the UFL, and cutting off half of its broadcast coverage certainly wouldn't be helping it survive.
I feel the same for ESPN's coverage of the NBA, MLB and NHL. I will be shocked if things dramatically change for those three leagues if the NFL has a stake in ESPN. I would suspect that even if the NFL has a stake in ESPN, ESPN will still play a significant part of a new broadcasting contract for the NBA.