Invites to the XFL Summer Showcase have started to go out

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Invites to the XFL Summer Showcase have started to go out

Post by GDAWG »

We have started receiving word that the players have begun to receive invites to the upcoming XFL Summer Showcase. One potential recruit who wishes to remain anonymous has sent us a copy of the invite, which you can see below.

We have been able to confirm that former Memphis Express WR, Fabian Guerra is one of the players that has been invites to the Showcase. We’ll keep you updated as more information comes out.
https://xfl2k.com/news/invites-to-the-x ... to-go-out/
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Re: Invites to the XFL Summer Showcase have started to go out

Post by BengalErnst »

Wouldn’t be surprised if every AAF player not currently in an NFL camp got an invite
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

Speaking of the player pool...
Does anyone know what XFL policy will be toward kids who have graduated high school who want the $ now rather than go to college?
The possibilities are pretty cool in my opinion. For example if a kid isn't really interested in studies why not play 3 good years in XFL ,develop as a pro (minor leaguer) and enter the NFL draft when eligible. AND won't that free up a scholarship to a kid that wants the degree.
Plus it could cause NFL to change their draft eligibility rules. Furthermore in theory why couldn't XFL SELL a player who becomes NFL draft eligible to the NFL. In other words when a kid has come out of high school and played 3 years in XFL, then he is NFL draft eligible. But if he's under contract with XFL and wants to jump leagues and enter the NFL draft,why not force the NFL to pay a fee to trigger a release clause in the XFL contract. Players could be valued much like soccer players are. Is this feasible?
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

First of all, do these showcases only feature players who have to work to make a roster? What I mean is, will the XFL take a guy like Johnny Manziel or a top tier AAF QB and put him in a showcase? Or will it just be assumed that he would make a team and so that player could basically cut in line?

Because, according to @XFLAnalyst via Instagram, former Memphis Express OT Anthony Morris, along with former Birmingham Iron LB Will Smith, and a couple Arena League players, have been invited to the combine. These four guys, plus Fabian Guerra, are the only people that account mentions. I haven't done research on the Arena League guys but Guerra and Smith were backups while Morris performed only adequately as a starter.

If these are the guys the XFL plans on having be top talent, I don't see how the quality of play will match the AAF's. However, if these showcases are only intended to fill out the bottom tier of players, find some diamonds in the rough, etc, that's a different story entirely.
St. Louis Battlehawks
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

XFLInSTL wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:06 am First of all, do these showcases only feature players who have to work to make a roster? What I mean is, will the XFL take a guy like Johnny Manziel or a top tier AAF QB and put him in a showcase? Or will it just be assumed that he would make a team and so that player could basically cut in line?

Because, according to @XFLAnalyst via Instagram, former Memphis Express OT Anthony Morris, along with former Birmingham Iron LB Will Smith, and a couple Arena League players, have been invited to the combine. These four guys, plus Fabian Guerra, are the only people that account mentions. I haven't done research on the Arena League guys but Guerra and Smith were backups while Morris performed only adequately as a starter.

If these are the guys the XFL plans on having be top talent, I don't see how the quality of play will match the AAF's. However, if these showcases are only intended to fill out the bottom tier of players, find some diamonds in the rough, etc, that's a different story entirely.
I believe the showcases are more for finding the diamonds in the rough. Right now NFL rosters are at 90, by the end of training camp they’ll be down to 53 with another 10 on their practice squad. Excluding injuries, that should leave about 800 players out of work. It’s likely that most of those players will be better than what they will be able to find at these showcases. So my thinking is they’ll sign a handful of players from the showcases, but most of their players are currently signed to NFL contracts and won’t join the XFL until september.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

That's what I was thinking too and like I said, I haven't done research on the Arena League guys but any of the three AAF players could probably make a backup or reserve spot on an XFL team. Morris actually could probably be a top backup O lineman if not a starter.
St. Louis Battlehawks
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XFLInSTL wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:06 am First of all, do these showcases only feature players who have to work to make a roster? What I mean is, will the XFL take a guy like Johnny Manziel or a top tier AAF QB and put him in a showcase? Or will it just be assumed that he would make a team and so that player could basically cut in line?

Any insight on this Mike? Are the XFL Showcases just for diamonds in the rough, and not for "big time" players?
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:18 am

Any insight on this Mike? Are the XFL Showcases just for diamonds in the rough, and not for "big time" players?
Here’s how it’s working.

Invites started being sent out on May 13th.

The agents are the ones who are filling out player recommendation forms for their clients, and then sending them back to the league. They contact Eric Galko.

Here’s where things get interesting. There are some agents that don’t know how to go about getting their clients invites. I know that sounds ridiculous but even agent Nicole Lynn, who represents Jets first round pick Quinnen Williams, went to Twitter yesterday and asked if anyone knew who the contact was for the XFL.

https://twitter.com/AgentNicoleLynn/sta ... 92672?s=20

The process is still going on now. Not everyone who has received an invite, will be public about their participation.

There are some agents that are not including the players who still have NFL hopes. There are not a lot of veteran players that want to go through a combine. Young players who are just a year or two out of college, are more willing to do it.

I know a CFL players agent who is waiting until after CFL roster cuts in early June, to get whomever is cut into consideration for some of the invites.

Some agents have sent a list of 20 players, only to get 2 of them invited.

The players who are on NFL 90 player rosters, are not going to be a part of the invites. That’s probably going to be the bulk of the XFL’s inaugural season roster. That’s where the real talent of the league is going to be.

This is really just the first wave of street free agents. The league is going to have to whittle down the names to about 800 players. I would be surprised if a significant amount of these players get league contracts. The purpose of the showcases is to leave no stone unturned. You never know how many unknowns run 4.3’s and turn heads and get league contracts as a result.

This is basically non NFL and non CFL players that are available right now. The question really is ex AAF players. I suspect that you will see more apply as time goes on. This is kind of the ground floor on roster building.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:26 am

Here’s how it’s working.

The agents are the ones who are filling out player recommendation forms for their clients, and then sending them back to the league. They contact Eric Galko.

Here’s where things get interesting. There are some agents that don’t know how to go about getting their clients invites. I know that sounds ridiculous but even agent Nicole Lynn, who represents Jets first round pick Quinnen Williams, went to Twitter yesterday and asked if anyone knew who the contact was for the XFL.

The process is still going on now. Not everyone who has received an invite, will be public about their participation.

There are some agents that are not including the players who still have NFL hopes. There are not a lot of veteran players that want to go through a combine. Young players who are just a year or two out of college, are more willing to do it.

I know a CFL players agent who is waiting until after CFL roster cuts in early June, to get whomever is cut into consideration for some of the invites.

The players who are on NFL 90 player rosters, are not going to be a part of the invites. That’s probably going to be the bulk of the XFL’s inaugural season roster. That’s where the real talent of the league is going to be.

This is really just the first wave of street free agents. The league is going to have to whittle down the names to about 800 players. I would be surprised if a significant amount of these players get league contracts. The purpose of the showcases is to leave no stone unturned. You never know how many unknowns run 4.3’s and turn heads and get league contracts as a result.

This is basically non NFL and non CFL players that are available right now. The question really is ex AAF players. I suspect that you will see more apply as time goes on. This is kind of the ground floor on roster building.
Ok that makes sense. The showcases are just to find "diamonds in the rough" rather than actually featuring the 2019 XFL draft's potential top picks.

Another thing: It's really ignorant when people on Twitter say there's not enough talent for the XFL, when there's going to be thousands putting in invitations, just for about 800 to be invited. Then after that, a small percentage of the 800 will sign a contract. And the guys who got past all that might get cut before the season starts. Then those who make the team might not get a starting job. Thousands of people wanting to play will be cut down to around 50-100 players who actually make a roster during the next months.

It'll be interesting to see who gets through the showcases with a contract!
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:26 am

Here’s how it’s working.

Ok that makes sense. The showcases are just to find "diamonds in the rough" rather than actually featuring the 2019 XFL draft's potential top picks.

Another thing: It's really ignorant when people on Twitter say there's not enough talent for the XFL, when there's going to be thousands putting in invitations, just for about 800 to be invited. Then after that, a small percentage of the 800 will sign a contract. And the guys who got past all that might get cut before the season starts. Then those who make the team might not get a starting job. Thousands of people wanting to play will be cut down to around 50-100 players who actually make a roster during the next months.

It'll be interesting to see who gets through the showcases with a contract!
One name player that I am aware of is RB Khiry Robinson. He’s had a history of durability issues. Talented runner but hasn’t been able to stay on the field. Testing and getting all of his medical checked out by the league will be important.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Mon May 27, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.