Final Team Names Prediction List

XFL Football discussion.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Re: Final Team Names Prediction List

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

jcestl wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:27 am OK, I’m from St Louis (Let’s Go Blues!!!) so I’ve obviously thought the most about the St Louis team’s name. Although I like Crusaders, that’ll probably never go over. I also like Ironclads a lot (river gunboats produced during the Civil War in St Louis) ‘cause it’s not only the boat, but also sounds tough. I REALLY dislike Stallions. It’s been used WAAAY too many times, really has nothing to do with St Louis other than it starts with an S, and it’s tied to that whole failed relocation and expansion business. Many of us here in StL are fed up with the NFL and don’t need any reminders of how we’ve been screwed by them and the team that shall remain nameless. Although I think Clydesdales are cool horses, the word itself sounds kinda clunky (doesn’t roll off the tongue) and I’m not sure I’d want my team to be named after a corporation’s mascot. I will admit that many St Louisans have an over the top reverence for the animals to the point of worship. I’ve always found it kind of disturbing how rabid they get at the sight of them pulling a beer wagon. Maybe it’s the beer…. who knows?
So anyway, for what it’s worth…here’s my list:

St Louis Pilots
(references both riverboat Pilots and Charles Lindbergh and the Spirit of St Louis, not to mention the former McDonald Douglas (now Boeing) manufacturer of fighter jets based in StL
New York Emperors
New York is the Empire State
Tampa Bay Barracudas
In my mind a criminally underused mascot….and it sounds good with Tampa Bay
D.C. Power
The town where most of the power in the country resides, plus Direct Current, I like the double meaning/ play on words
Houston Roughnecks
An oil field worker. References Oilers without using the same term. And it sounds tough
Seattle Emeralds
Seattle is the Emerald City. Gotta go with that
Dallas Comanches
I know this one might not fly either, but I like it because the Comanches are local, fierce and feared. Plus, it’s the opposite of Cowboys. But, I know it may be considered insensitive….I don’t mean it to be that way at all
Los Angeles Mammoths
La Brea Tar pits in LA contain Mammoth remains, Plus, football players are Huge (mammoth) and LA is Huge (mammoth). I really think this one would work
Anyway….my 2 cents
I like the thought that you’ve put into these, I’d say my favorite would be DC Power.
jcestl
Running Back

Post by jcestl »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 pm Clydes or Dales as a shortened nickname. I am neutral on the name. If it means that Budweiser is going to be a corporate sponsor. Then for the sake of the league’s survival. I am down with it.
Tums is headquartered in St Louis too. Maybe we should be the Indigestions…..? ;)
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

jcestl wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 pm Clydes or Dales as a shortened nickname. I am neutral on the name. If it means that Budweiser is going to be a corporate sponsor. Then for the sake of the league’s survival. I am down with it.
Tums is headquartered in St Louis too. Maybe we should be the Indigestions…..? ;)
The St. Louis Indigestion 😊 Perhaps the team will give their fan base that.

Somehow I don’t see Tums being a natural league sponsor but you take whatever you can get. Budweiser would be a big deal. Clydesdales isn’t my first choice but it does fit St. Louis. I won’t be angry if it happens.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm None of my predictions will be correct. It’s not a personal preference list. Just where I think the league may land on these names.

It’s hard to predict because of the unknown amount of influence that Vince McMahon is going to have in naming these teams. If the WWE’s marketing team is involved in the branding. It can range from very good to very bad.

I can see Vince McMahon saying “Seattle is known for the sea, let’s name their team The Leviathans”. At the end of the day, it’s his money and league. His wheelhouse has always been branding, marketing and promoting. A lot of it is hit or miss with him.

The question for the XFL is... Do you try and be unique, innovative and different? or... Do you try to be as middle of the road as possible? Go the safe conservative route to alter the perception of what the league is going to be, and what it was two decades ago. I personally still love The Outlaws and Demons names.

So here goes;

New York Pride
St. Louis Guardians
Tampa Bay Sharks
Washington Pioneers

Houston Hustlers
Dallas Stampede
Los Angeles Idols
Seattle Lumberjacks
Wow! I really like GUARDIANS. Very cool name. Also like Stampede. Is there a local Seattle slang for Lumberjack?
Can't wait for this league. Although I love Deshaun Watson I am DONE with the NFL. LET'S GO XFL!
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Yea but it would then be the Seattle Loggers, not very inspiring.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:37 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm None of my predictions will be correct. It’s not a personal preference list. Just where I think the league may land on these names.

It’s hard to predict because of the unknown amount of influence that Vince McMahon is going to have in naming these teams. If the WWE’s marketing team is involved in the branding. It can range from very good to very bad.

I can see Vince McMahon saying “Seattle is known for the sea, let’s name their team The Leviathans”. At the end of the day, it’s his money and league. His wheelhouse has always been branding, marketing and promoting. A lot of it is hit or miss with him.

The question for the XFL is... Do you try and be unique, innovative and different? or... Do you try to be as middle of the road as possible? Go the safe conservative route to alter the perception of what the league is going to be, and what it was two decades ago. I personally still love The Outlaws and Demons names.

So here goes;

New York Pride
St. Louis Guardians
Tampa Bay Sharks
Washington Pioneers

Houston Hustlers
Dallas Stampede
Los Angeles Idols
Seattle Lumberjacks
Wow! I really like GUARDIANS. Very cool name. Also like Stampede. Is there a local Seattle slang for Lumberjack?
Can't wait for this league. Although I love Deshaun Watson I am DONE with the NFL. LET'S GO XFL!
Thanks Dynamo. I am thinking of team names that are not very common.

New York Pride could have a whole Lion logo and have a double meaning.

It’s possible that Tampa lands on something like Tiger Sharks. Just to not be in line with other teams with Shark themes in other sports. It could be a unique uniform scheme.

St. Louis is unique in that the league can go in so many different directions. So many different synonyms for Sentinel or Gate keeper. Guardians is a cool name. Safe yet different.

Washington will probably have a patriotic theme. Since all the nations leaders are seen as Pioneers, it makes sense. Patriotic sounding name without being war related or all in your face about it.

Hustlers cause it’s Hustle Town. Has a renegade feel to it. Similar to the Gamblers. It’s almost as if it’s related to that team. Houston like STL has so many different labels. Space city, Hustle Town, Energy Capital etc

I like Lumberjacks for Seattle. The city has cornered the market on Sea names and anything related to sound. The NHL team has trademarked a boat load of names. Even though the “REDBLACKS” are a similar concept in the CFL. I could see The XFL going with Lumberjacks for Seattle. Although it may not have traditional Seattle themed colors.

Stampede fits Dallas. It just sounds like a team that Bob Stoops and Moose would be running.

I might be reaching with Idols. The LA Idols has a nice ring to it. It kind of has that Atlanta Legends vibe. Idols has that showbiz history theme to it. The glitz and glamor. The problem is logo and branding. Do you go generic or go with a Deity type theme. Like the Idols are gods. That might be risky. Idols are like Titans or Giants.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

I've given up predicting these because it's such a shot in the dark. At least with the coaches you had a pool of coaches out there you knew were candidates.

I like Mammoths but honestly the Le Brea Tar Pits kinda go unnoticed in LA. It's not a big part of the identity. Sabercats, in a vacuum, is a cool name but just not crazy about taking a rehashed Arena team name.

Idols is ok. I've heard some suggest Condors, which isn't bad for a California based team, but being a native of central California in makes me think of the minor league hockey team, the Bakersfield Condors. Obviously I'm gonna be in the minority on that one.

I've suggested Cougars. It's a bit generic but it fits southern California well. Would also be cool to see a Spanish name to appeal to that fan base, so maybe Pumas or Gatos.

And, as always, they could simplify this all by resurrecting the Xtreme.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 pm I've given up predicting these because it's such a shot in the dark. At least with the coaches you had a pool of coaches out there you knew were candidates.

I like Mammoths but honestly the Le Brea Tar Pits kinda go unnoticed in LA. It's not a big part of the identity. Sabercats, in a vacuum, is a cool name but just not crazy about taking a rehashed Arena team name.

Idols is ok. I've heard some suggest Condors, which isn't bad for a California based team, but being a native of central California in makes me think of the minor league hockey team, the Bakersfield Condors. Obviously I'm gonna be in the minority on that one.

I've suggested Cougars. It's a bit generic but it fits southern California well. Would also be cool to see a Spanish name to appeal to that fan base, so maybe Pumas or Gatos.

And, as always, they could simplify this all by resurrecting the Xtreme.
I’m 50/50 on the Xtreme. Kinda like the tie into the old XFL (defending champions, bring back old team, players at halftime, possible rematch with my Demons). Motto: XFL is the “Xtreme’s Football League”.

Other 50% Condors, large native animal, a lot of merchandising opportunities, can go a different route with color schemes, huge 7 ft mascot, maybe bring in a live mascot (a la War Eagle).

Either way it’ll be xciting!
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

It's the XFL All-Discussion Board Collage........each of the eight franchise jerseys bears the name of a member.

Let's look at the West:
IMG_20190527_120612.jpg
IMG_20190527_120612.jpg (174.56 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Seattle Aviators: Sounder........Los Angeles Gatos: Xtremefan4ever........Houston Gallop:. Mitchell........ Dallas Sherriffs:. Andibald..

Now the East:
IMG_20190527_120924.jpg
IMG_20190527_120924.jpg (153.44 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Tampa Bay Sharks:. Gdawg........D.C. Combat:. Tank55........St. Louis Clydesdales:. Steiner........ New York Agents:. Nelson.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Sounder wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:22 pm It's the XFL All-Discussion Board Collage........each of the eight franchise jerseys bears the name of a member.

Let's look at the West:

IMG_20190527_120612.jpg

Seattle Aviators: Sounder........Los Angeles Gatos: Xtremefan4ever........Houston Gallop:. Mitchell........ Dallas Sherriffs:. Andibald..

Now the East:

IMG_20190527_120924.jpg

Tampa Bay Sharks:. Gdawg........D.C. Combat:. Tank55........St. Louis Clydesdales:. Steiner........ New York Agents:. Nelson.
Thanks Sounder. I’ll gladly take #34 in honor of Walter Payton, Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker.