Expansion 2021?

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 pm

wetdawg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:12 pm
The reason I even asked this is because being in Birmingham I have heard that there were talks by the league. At 1st there were talks adding this year and now that has fallen off, but possible for next. I heard this from a former Birmingham Iron higher up and someone I know personally and trust his info. I say it's just talks so might never happen but I was curious if anyone else heard that.
There was no chance of Birmingham ever being a part of The XFL in 2020. There were no talks of them magically joining the league this year, after the AAF folded. I’m sure that people involved with the Iron or in Birmingham hoped for that, and maybe even someone asked the XFL, if it was possible but the idea wasn’t very realistic.

The 8 markets and venues were already set up. No city was going to magically jump in and replace another team or be added on as an additional team in expansion.

You can’t rule anything out for the future but to be honest, unless Birmingham makes the league an offer it can’t refuse. I think they have an uphill battle of getting an expansion team.

If the league survives.... Birmingham probably won’t be the first wave of expansion cities. Second wave, maybe. There are only so many spots open. If the league was magically going to 8 more markets, than sure Birmingham would be in the mix.

Birmingham didn’t do well in the original XFL. They didn’t do great in the AAF either. 4th in attendance in a league that was poorly attended. Birmingham has a poor history in these leagues. For whatever reason, the city doesn’t support these teams well. I have been rooting for the city from day one. It just hasn’t worked out. Hopefully they get another shot down the road but it’s probably going to be just that, down the road.

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 am

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 pm

I’d think if you’re going expand, you have to consider market size, weather, and support.
Locations I’d consider for the first round of expansion:
West-
San Francisco
San Diego

Midwest:
Detroit
Minneapolis

East-
Atlanta
Charlotte

Once the league was established and successful, I’d look to add a few teams in markets that are underrepresented by pro sports like: Sacramento, Raleigh-Durham, Portland, San Antonio, Austin, and OKC.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by GDAWG » Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 pm
I’d think if you’re going expand, you have to consider market size, weather, and support.
Locations I’d consider for the first round of expansion:
West-
San Francisco
San Diego

Midwest:
Detroit
Minneapolis

East-
Atlanta
Charlotte

Once the league was established and successful, I’d look to add a few teams in markets that are underrepresented by pro sports like: Sacramento, Raleigh-Durham, Portland, San Antonio, Austin, and OKC.
The problem with Portland is that there would be nowhere to play. The Portland Timbers have kicked Portland State's Football team out of Providence Park, so it would be unlikely that a Portland XFL team would play there.

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 am

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

The problem with Portland is that there would be nowhere to play. The Portland Timbers have kicked Portland State's Football team out of Providence Park, so it would be unlikely that a Portland XFL team would play there.
Ok, scratch them from the list, even if it were available, it only has a seating capacity of 25,000. That wouldn’t leave any room for growth. My general point, however, is they should put a few teams in some markets with few pro teams.

User avatar
XFL_FAN
Coach
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by XFL_FAN » Thu May 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 pm
I’d think if you’re going expand, you have to consider market size, weather, and support.
Locations I’d consider for the first round of expansion:
West-
San Francisco
San Diego

Midwest:
Detroit
Minneapolis

East-
Atlanta
Charlotte

Once the league was established and successful, I’d look to add a few teams in markets that are underrepresented by pro sports like: Sacramento, Raleigh-Durham, Portland, San Antonio, Austin, and OKC.
Atlanta's attendance was awful in the AAF. Minneapolis is not close to Ohio so I wouldn't choose them. Detroit and Indianapolis would make more sense for a "true" midwest team. I do agree with going to San Fran though. Bring the San Francisco Demons back baby!
Playoffs are still in sight ;)

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by GDAWG » Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

The problem with Portland is that there would be nowhere to play. The Portland Timbers have kicked Portland State's Football team out of Providence Park, so it would be unlikely that a Portland XFL team would play there.
Ok, scratch them from the list, even if it were available, it only has a seating capacity of 25,000. That wouldn’t leave any room for growth. My general point, however, is they should put a few teams in some markets with few pro teams.
25,000 is perfect for the XFL.

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 am

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 pm

XFL_FAN wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:08 pm
Atlanta's attendance was awful in the AAF. Minneapolis is not close to Ohio so I wouldn't choose them. Detroit and Indianapolis would make more sense for a "true" midwest team. I do agree with going to San Fran though. Bring the San Francisco Demons back baby!
Atlanta does well with the Falcons and United FC, I think some of the Legends attendance problem had to do with them being a bad team. Brad Childress was supposed to be the HC and Micheal Vick was going to be OC. Childress resigned a month before the season started and Vick backed out 2 days before their first game. Two weeks later, just before their 1st home game, Vick’s replacement also resigned. That’s three OC’s in less than 3 weeks to start the season. Not surprisingly, they finished tied for the worst record in the league.

Among the Midwest teams, off the top of my head, I’d go with Detroit first. I say that without having done much research on the cities involved, so that opinion could change.

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 am

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

The problem with Portland is that there would be nowhere to play. The Portland Timbers have kicked Portland State's Football team out of Providence Park, so it would be unlikely that a Portland XFL team would play there.

Ok, scratch them from the list, even if it were available, it only has a seating capacity of 25,000. That wouldn’t leave any room for growth. My general point, however, is they should put a few teams in some markets with few pro teams.
25,000 is perfect for the XFL.
It’s perfect now, but where do they go if the fan base grows? There’s nowhere else to play in the area, that offers a larger venue. It just doesn’t sound like an ideal situation as of now.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by GDAWG » Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 pm



Ok, scratch them from the list, even if it were available, it only has a seating capacity of 25,000. That wouldn’t leave any room for growth. My general point, however, is they should put a few teams in some markets with few pro teams.
25,000 is perfect for the XFL.
It’s perfect now, but where do they go if the fan base grows? There’s nowhere else to play in the area, that offers a larger venue. It just doesn’t sound like an ideal situation as of now.
It seems unlikely that the XFL will ever get attendance numbers like the NFL. The best the league can hope for is 25,000 to 30,000

GoDogs
Running Back
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by GoDogs » Thu May 23, 2019 11:28 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 pm
I’d think if you’re going expand, you have to consider market size, weather, and support.
Locations I’d consider for the first round of expansion:
West-
San Francisco
San Diego

Midwest:
Detroit
Minneapolis

East-
Atlanta
Charlotte

Once the league was established and successful, I’d look to add a few teams in markets that are underrepresented by pro sports like: Sacramento, Raleigh-Durham, Portland, San Antonio, Austin, and OKC.
Market size, weather and support. XFL did well going with two in Texas this time around. Kind of see a Tecmo Bowl approach to the first 8 teams, kind of see more of the same if they expand.

So for all of the above first gotta go SF (BRING BACK THE DEMONS!!!).

But for the second, you’ll may have to sacrifice one (market size or weather). Chicago, any team in Ohio (8 division 1 college teams, rabid football fans).

Orlando would be ideal, being a natural rival with Tampa, good weather, football country, but maybe not appealing to the rest of the country.

My vote for two teams: SF and CHI
(#6 & #3 tv markets, #13 & #3 population, sf reaching San Jose # 10 population)

And two more: Philly &....

San Antonio (only if the Commanders come back)
Phoenix (if the hotshots DONT come back, hated the logo)
Miami (the tecmo bowl kid in me)
Atlanta (Ga huge football state, large city)
San Diego (perfect all around).

Post Reply