Expansion 2021?

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Expansion 2021?

Post by Tank55 »

The Redskins are gunning for a new stadium. If the XFL ever gets to a point where 25K is inadequate, DC will probably have a viable option.

I don't think that happens in the foreseeable future. The big money is in television, not the gate. A packed Audi Field will suit the XFL just fine for a long time.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Audi Field is fine as a football venue, despite complaints from DC United fans.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:48 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm

I am opposed to playing in current baseball stadiums as it makes the XFL look bush league. Also not all baseball stadiums can fit a football field.
I'm not thrilled with the prospect, either, though I know Nats Park hosted some bowl games so in their case, it would be doable, if the Nats were willing. RFK would be more ideal, though renovations would likely be wanted. I don't think Audi Field is sustainable as a home long-term.
According to Wikipedia, Nationals Stadium has never hosted football and the Military Bowl was hosted by RFK before moving to the Naval Academy.
I stand corrected. I think I'm thinking of the Winter Classic, which of course is hockey, a totally unrelated sport.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Although the XFL going into 7 NFL markets is a bit of a gamble, at least they didn't go into the default markets of alternative football like the original league did. The default markets are: Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, Sacramento and San Antonio. Las Vegas was on the list, but they are getting the Raiders soon, so they are off.

World Football League:
- Birmingham Americans/Vulcans
- Florida Blazers
- Memphis Southmen
- San Antonio Wings

USFL:
- Birmingham Stallions
- Memphis Showboats
- Orlando Renegades
- San Antonio Gunslingers

WLAF:
- Birmingham Fire
- Orlando Thunder
- Sacramento Surge
- San Antonio Riders

CFL in America:
- Birmingham Barracudas
- Las Vegas Posse
- Memphis Mad Dogs
- Sacramento Gold Miners
- San Antonio Texans

XFL 1.0:
- Birmingham Thunderbolts
- Las Vegas Outlaws
- Memphis Maniax
- Orlando Rage

UFL:
- Las Vegas Locomotives
- Orlando Tuskers
- Sacramento Mountain Lions

AAF:
- Birmingham Iron
- Memphis Express
- Orlando Apollos
- San Antonio Commanders

The Freedom Football League plans to have teams in Birmingham, Memphis and Orlando.
battlesharks
Rookie

Post by battlesharks »

I can see them going bold and trying to pursue at least 2 cities the year after IF they successfully generate the revenues, and fan base. They will target a lot of the big-cities market first to secure a more stable league and make it more appealing. My projection for 2021 expansion follows a team on each side:

East:
Atlanta (Huge Football fan base in NFL, College)
Boston
Chicago
Detriot

West:
Denver
Phoenix
San Francisco/Oakland
Las Vegas
sergeantcline_vdf
Kicker

Post by sergeantcline_vdf »

GDAWG wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:40 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Audi Field will never get to 40,000 seats.

There are plenty of stadium in Dallas/Fort Worth that seat over 40,000....The Cotton Bowl, AT&T Stadium, SMU, TCU, North Texas
...and Washington also has RFK or Nationals Park.
I am opposed to playing in current baseball stadiums as it makes the XFL look bush league. Also not all baseball stadiums can fit a football field

It's a bad sight seeing the Raiders play in a baseball stadium.
Umm guy if you remember the current contact with Stadiums run for three years so maybe after four we see stadium upgrade
sergeantcline_vdf
Kicker

Post by sergeantcline_vdf »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 am
XFLInSTL wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 pm If the league expands to 10 teams I think we'd see teams in Philly and Chicago. If it expands to 12 teams I think we'd see Philly, Chicago, San Diego, and either San Antonio, Orlando, or maybe Sacramento.
San Francisco very nearly got a team but apparently Luck felt Seattle would've been a better west coast market. I have to think SF would be first in line for expansion, depending on how the league's geographical alignment is (who the 10th team is, if any of the original 8 relocate).
I believe the league will be expanded some down the road. But 2021 i feel it a little later going since Vince want this league to be successful And if they were expand before the league had it footing firm it would be disastrous

So let get few seasons under our belts before even talk expansion Ok
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

sergeantcline_vdf wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:09 am
XtremeFanForever wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 am
XFLInSTL wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 pm If the league expands to 10 teams I think we'd see teams in Philly and Chicago. If it expands to 12 teams I think we'd see Philly, Chicago, San Diego, and either San Antonio, Orlando, or maybe Sacramento.
San Francisco very nearly got a team but apparently Luck felt Seattle would've been a better west coast market. I have to think SF would be first in line for expansion, depending on how the league's geographical alignment is (who the 10th team is, if any of the original 8 relocate).
I believe the league will be expanded some down the road. But 2021 i feel it a little later going since Vince want this league to be successful And if they were expand before the league had it footing firm it would be disastrous

So let get few seasons under our belts before even talk expansion Ok
Of course, but it's always fun to talk about it.

If the league goes to Pittsburgh, it'll be interesting to see if the team colors will be the exact same as every other pro team: black and gold/yellow. Or will they do things differently?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Expansion is always fun to talk about and speculate. I realize that now. I was on the "too soon to talk about Expansion when the first year hasn't even started" bandwagon but I got on board when June became July and July became August and we were waiting for team names.

It's fun to talk about and speculate when there is nothing to talk about.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

battlesharks wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:05 am I can see them going bold and trying to pursue at least 2 cities the year after IF they successfully generate the revenues, and fan base. They will target a lot of the big-cities market first to secure a more stable league and make it more appealing. My projection for 2021 expansion follows a team on each side:

East:
Atlanta (Huge Football fan base in NFL, College)
Boston
Chicago
Detriot

West:
Denver
Phoenix
San Francisco/Oakland
Las Vegas
There has been little proof that Chicago can support a non-NFL pro football team. Alternative leagues have tried and failed to find a footing in Chicago. I don't know how XFL 2.0 would be different in Chicago. Same for Las Vegas. Alternative leagues have tried and failed in spectacular fashion in Las Vegas. The Raiders will do well in Vegas because it's an NFL team. Like Chicago, there would be no guarantee Las Vegas would work in XFL 2.0. Boston is in the exact same boat as Las Vegas and Chicago. The USFL went there and failed miserably. The FXFL (pre-cursor to the Spring League) also failed there.

The Alliance of American Football tried Atlanta and Phoenix. Neither worked. So what would be different?