June Jones hired as XFL Houston head coach

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: June Jones hired as XFL Houston head coach

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm My knee jerk reaction is this kinda feels like the Gilbride hire. Feels a tad underwhelming but he's got tons of experience, a fair amount of success, and strong local ties. Not sure what more you could ask. They can't all be Bob Stoops.
I think Jones has more juice than Gilbride. Kevin did win 2 Super Bowls as the Giants OC, although New York fans act like it never happened.

Jones has a great connection to Houston and the state of Texas. It’s not an absolute must for these hires. See Hayes in STL, but I think the commissioner realizes how important the history of Houston football is. You just knew that Oliver was going to target someone with ties to the market.

Jones has never been a great or very good head coach but his overall resume is extremely impressive. Head Coach in college, The NFL and the CFL, with experience in the USFL as well. There’s no denying the body of work and experience.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Nice! Former Oiler, former Gambler, fun offense, active coach. Very solid hire.

Immediately makes you wonder about his pal Glanville and former TiCats QB Jeremiah Masoli, whose contract I believe expires at the end of this CFL season.

The XFL's not going to touch Briles. They're avoiding unseemliness like the plague.

If Jones lands Glanville and Stoops lands Mumme, these Dallas-Houston games are going to must-see TV.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm Nice! Former Oiler, former Gambler, fun offense, active coach. Very solid hire.

Immediately makes you wonder about his pal Glanville and former TiCats QB Jeremiah Masoli, whose contract I believe expires at the end of this CFL season.

The XFL's not going to touch Briles. They're avoiding unseemliness like the plague.

If Jones lands Glanville and Stoops lands Mumme, these Dallas-Houston games are going to must-see TV.
I would think that if he has a great year, Masoli would be of interest to the NFL.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:33 pm
Tank55 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm Nice! Former Oiler, former Gambler, fun offense, active coach. Very solid hire.

I would think that if he has a great year, Masoli would be of interest to the NFL.
Maybe but it’s freaking hard getting in the NFL. Best case scenario is making it as a backup. No one is handing starting jobs to CFL quarterbacks, no matter how good, some of them really are. Perhaps a futures contract but that doesn’t guarantee anything. AAF Quarterbacks Luis Perez and Brandon Silvers have already been cut. They didn’t even make it to training camp.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Maybe but it’s freaking hard getting in the NFL. Best case scenario is making it as a backup. No one is handing starting jobs to CFL quarterbacks, no matter how good, some of them really are. Perhaps a futures contract but that doesn’t guarantee anything. AAF Quarterbacks Luis Perez and Brandon Silvers have already been cut. They didn’t even make it to training camp.
Or he could be like Doug Flutie or Jeff Garcia. You never know with these alternative league QB's. Flutie found new life in the NFL after a decade in Canada and Garcia was very good in San Francisco after Canada. There's also Warren Moon, who spent a long time in the NFL after several years in Canada. Also Kurt Warner played Arena Football before he spent a decade in the NFL.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly didn't jump to the NFL. I wouldn't assume that Masoli will either. And, if you're Masoli and you've just wrapped up a strong 2019 CFL campaign, what would be a great way to prove to NFL teams that you can also excel at 11-man football?

Not saying it will happen, just that he's someone to keep an eye on. I think the most likely scenario is a CFL team outbidding the XFL. But we'll see.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:49 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Or he could be like Doug Flutie or Jeff Garcia. You never know with these alternative league QB's. Flutie found new life in the NFL after a decade in Canada and Garcia was very good in San Francisco after Canada. There's also Warren Moon, who spent a long time in the NFL after several years in Canada. Also Kurt Warner played Arena Football before he spent a decade in the NFL.
I agree. It’s not impossible. Just very hard. You have to get your foot in the door somehow and pick the right team. Moon was prolific. Garcia and Flutie found a way in and back into the league. Who knows what happens to Warner, if he doesn’t sign with The Rams. Luck played a role in him in getting his shot to shine.

The CFL does have quarterbacks who are fully capable of playing in the NFL. It’s really all about finding the right spot and then getting a fair chance to show your talents. Most NFL teams already have their top 2 quarterbacks on their roster mapped out. It’s like you have to find a way to sneak into the QB room somehow.

I thought that The Dolphins was a perfect spot for Bo Levi Mitchell, or even Seattle as a backup to Wilson. Miami signed Fitzpatrick and then traded for Rosen, and could be in the QB market again on the next draft. There are very few situations like that where an NFL team like Miami, had openings available for real competition after Tannenhill was traded. Those windows close fast.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 pm Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly didn't jump to the NFL. I wouldn't assume that Masoli will either. And, if you're Masoli and you've just wrapped up a strong 2019 CFL campaign, what would be a great way to prove to NFL teams that you can also excel at 11-man football?

Not saying it will happen, just that he's someone to keep an eye on. I think the most likely scenario is a CFL team outbidding the XFL. But we'll see.
Who knows what happens with the CFL’s CBA but my guess is that it all works itself out eventually.

I don’t see the XFL as a real threat for signing top tier talent from the CFL, until they prove themselves viable, provided that they get to a second season.

The mid level or lower level CFL talent may consider the XFL a real option if the league survives year one. Simply because it’s a pro league in the states that is paying better or comparable money.

The superstar quarterback in the CFL, would need a whole lot of convincing to get them, to jump ship. The CFL takes care of their star players, rightfully so and it would be difficult to win a bidding war for that league’s top signal callers. Most of them are already under contract.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I think that Glanville is already on Trestman's staff.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

These would be the starting QB's for the CFL:

BC Lions- Mike Reilly
Calgary Stampeders- Bo Levi Mitchell
Edmonton Eskimos- Trevor Harris
Hamilton Tiger Cats- Jeremiah Masoli
Montreal Alouettes- ?
Ottawa Redblacks- - Jonathon Jennings
Saskatchewan Rough Riders- Zach Collaros
Toronto Argonauts- McCleod Bethel- Thompson/James Franklin
Winnipeg Blue Bombers- Matt Nichols

Back to Masoli. If he has a great year in Hamilton, I would think that there would be interest from several of the other CFL teams, like Montreal and Toronto. He would not turn down a chance to play for Montreal or Toronto to go to the XFL.