A hidden plus of network deal

XFL Football discussion.
Tron2020
Kicker

A hidden plus of network deal

Post by Tron2020 »

On my new episode of This is the XFL Podcast I mentioned a hidden plus of the deal. EVERY morning show on ESPN AND FS1 will be talking about XFL from here on out. I think that is huge. Every Monday and Friday at least the talk shows will be reviewing and previewing the XFL. Golic and Wingo, First take, The Herd, ETC.
Host of This is the XFL Podcast
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Re: A hidden plus of network deal

Post by XtremeFanForever »

ESPN has shown a bias in recent years towards leagues/sports they have broadcast deals with (just ask hockey fans) so getting them on board was huge. The publicity they'll give the league is great but the alternative probably would've been radio silence.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: A hidden plus of network deal

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tron2020 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 pm On my new episode of This is the XFL Podcast I mentioned a hidden plus of the deal. EVERY morning show on ESPN AND FS1 will be talking about XFL from here on out. I think that is huge. Every Monday and Friday at least the talk shows will be reviewing and previewing the XFL. Golic and Wingo, First take, The Herd, ETC.
Hey Tron. It’s the #1 thing that has been pointed out by many people here on this board since last year. When speculation started about ESPN and Fox’s potential involvement.

I have written about this in articles on this site. These types of leagues don’t get enough exposure and they get completely ignored. They don’t get attention from the mainstream sports media/fans, unless something bad happens. More people focused on the AAF’s poor attendance and financial issues than say, Salt Lake’s stellar run defense and how they matched up against Orlando’s offensive line.

It’s easy to get lost in the sports viewing landscape for any league, let alone an upstart football league.

That’s why the point has been brought up by myself and others, that the league getting their highlights on ESPN/Sportscenter and FS1, is a really big deal. The weekly coverage is huge. On the networks and even on social media.

You’ll know that the XFL is here to stay. When people start focusing on breaking down the games and players. That’s when you know that you are a real league. ABC and Fox have to play their part here. They have to do more than just offer up the air time. The league can survive and maybe even thrive if the networks hold up their end of the bargain. Just getting the highlights on those shows is a victory but it’s all the other coverage, that can make a real difference.