XFL to name Head Coach/GM of LA Franchise May 7th

XFL Football discussion.
Andibald
Head Coach

XFL to name Head Coach/GM of LA Franchise May 7th

Post by Andibald »

https://xfl2k.com/news/xfl-to-name-he ... -may-7th/
The official YouTube account of the XFL scheduled a live stream for this upcoming Tuesday with the intention to announce the Head Coach/GM of the local franchise. There has been no official word from the XFL… yet… but I would say this is pretty much confirmed.
https://youtu.be/Km2h9KkUGDc
Last edited by Andibald on Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL to name Head Coach/GM of LA Franchise May 7th ??

Post by GDAWG »

We should hear a name by this weekend.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

This is confirmed by the league office. Tuesday should be interesting.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm This is confirmed by the league office. Tuesday should be interesting.

Maybe they'll do 2 in 1 week next week? LA Tuesday and Houston Thursday? As for the LA coach I'm still holding out hope for Steve Mariucci, but that's very unlikely. Jim Mora Jr. maybe?
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:38 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm This is confirmed by the league office. Tuesday should be interesting.

Maybe they'll do 2 in 1 week next week? LA Tuesday and Houston Thursday? As for the LA coach I'm still holding out hope for Steve Mariucci, but that's very unlikely. Jim Mora Jr. maybe?
I will be digging a lot in the next few days. Perhaps we find out before Tuesday. There are so many high profile coaches with LA connections but it's entirely possible that this is someone that is a curveball like Jon Hayes was.

Whomever it is, that particular coach is going to be someone who has completely bought in. That's the most important thing. You don't want coaches who are on board just for the paycheck or want to use the league to get back in the NFL.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:38 pm

I will be digging a lot in the next few days. Perhaps we find out before Tuesday. There are so many high profile coaches with LA connections but it's entirely possible that this is someone that is a curveball like Jon Hayes was.

Whomever it is, that particular coach is going to be someone who has completely bought in. That's the most important thing. You don't want coaches who are on board just for the paycheck or want to use the league to get back in the NFL.

My gut tells me it's going to be someone completely off the radar. Jim Mora makes perfect sense, but given his defensive background I still think he's a long shot. I'm thinking it'll be someone with a considerable amount of offensive coaching experience, perhaps a former quarterback, but probably a Hayes-like unknown.

No idea who would fit that mold, though.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Re: XFL to name Head Coach/GM of LA Franchise May 7th

With all the talk of Mark Sanchez in the other thread I had a thought: Rex Ryan coaching LA, with Sanchez under center.

As a fan, probably not my first choice, but man that would be entertaining.

MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 pm With all the talk of Mark Sanchez in the other thread I had a thought: Rex Ryan coaching LA, with Sanchez under center.

That would be. Because it’s LA, people will point to sexy names like Rex Ryan, Mike Shanahan, Jack Del Rio, John Fox, Jim Mora Jr etc

It might be someone out of left field like a Terry Donahue. He has experience as a coach and administrator in that region. There’s also the former AAF coaches like Rick Neuheisel and Mike Riley.

It might be a complete unknown or someone off the radar like a Mike McCoy. He has California ties and was head coach of the Chargers.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:11 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 pm With all the talk of Mark Sanchez in the other thread I had a thought: Rex Ryan coaching LA, with Sanchez under center.

That would be. Because it’s LA, people will point to sexy names like Rex Ryan, Mike Shanahan, Jack Del Rio, John Fox, Jim Mora Jr etc

It might be someone out of left field like a Terry Donahue. He has experience as a coach and administrator in that region. There’s also the former AAF coaches like Rick Neuheisel and Mike Riley.

It might be a complete unknown or someone off the radar like a Mike McCoy. He has California ties and was head coach of the Chargers.
Didn't Neuheisel accuse the XFL of trying to sabotage the AAF when Tom Dundon invested?

Terry Donahue is 74, so I doubt he wants to get back into coaching.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

I think a respectable paycheck would be enough to win over Neuheisel but, regardless, I don't see any AAF guys getting hired. The timeline just doesn't seem like it fits.