XFL to name Head Coach/GM of LA Franchise May 7th

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL to name Head Coach/GM of LA Franchise May 7th

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:55 pm I think we can safely remove Rick Neuheisel from the list of candidates. Flat out told TMZ the league hasn't spoken to him. Even if he's lying it's doubtful he'd be making any public comments about the XFL if he knew he was about about to be announced as a coach.

Given the timeline of the Hayes hire and Martz's comments about not being contacted we can probably just assume no AAF guys will be getting hired.
Mike Singletary would be a terrific hire in Houston. We know that he and Oliver Luck have been in contact. Mike Riley has been in contact with Luck as well.

There are some real questions with these coaches. How interested are they in jumping back into the fire so quickly after being burned by the AAF. Will they be committed fully to the league’s vision?

The other question that I haven’t gotten an answer to yet, is the language in coaching contracts for the XFL. Does an XFL head coaching contract prevent coaches from leaving for another job before the 2020 season begins. There will be a huge hiring cycle with college football and nfl teams come December/January. You don’t want coaches collecting XFL paychecks up into then, only to bail on the league in the winter.
Xfldcnews
Receiver

Post by Xfldcnews »

I've been snooping like crazy for the HC name and no luck. Anyone heard any names?
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Xfldcnews wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:00 pm I've been snooping like crazy for the HC name and no luck. Anyone heard any names?

Same here. It's been oddly quiet out there. Who broke the news on some of the other hires?
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:10 pm
Xfldcnews wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:00 pm I've been snooping like crazy for the HC name and no luck. Anyone heard any names?

Same here. It's been oddly quiet out there. Who broke the news on some of the other hires?
XFL2K has broken some of the news
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 pm I have a name out of left field (sort of) for Houston:

John Jenkins
Jenkins got burned pretty badly by the FXFL a few years back: took a job with the Hudson Valley Fort, then never got paid and ended up leading a walkout (part of the reason why the FXFL folded midseason and transformed into The Spring League). I'm not sure how keen he is on getting back into alt-pro ball.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

A name that might be on the radar, might not: Sean Salisbury.

Back almost a decade or so ago, Salisbury signed a deal with an upstart league calling itself the New USFL to be the Los Angeles team's coach. The New USFL never actually made it to play.

He's certainly available: he's basically being squandered on a tiny cable sports outlet (beIN Sports USA). Now, I'm not convinced that they'll hire Salisbury as a HC (he has no experience, after all) but a position coach is not out of the question.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Still radio silence. Why is it the rumors re: LA have been nonexistent?

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:16 pm Still radio silence. Why is it the rumors re: LA have been nonexistent?
Apparently we'll figure it out during the press conference tomorrow...
Ready for the team reveals...again
XtremeFanForever
Coach

XFL_FAN wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:16 pm Still radio silence. Why is it the rumors re: LA have been nonexistent?
Oliver Luck right now: "ok guys, like it or not we have to pick SOMEBODY by tomorrow morning."

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:22 pm
XFL_FAN wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 pm
Oliver Luck right now: "ok guys, like it or not we have to pick SOMEBODY by tomorrow morning."
:lol: Let's pick Jeff Fisher! (sarcasm)
Ready for the team reveals...again