XFL in Birmingham

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL in Birmingham

Post by GDAWG »

It will be interesting to see who the next expansion cities are going to be.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:38 pm It will be interesting to see who the next expansion cities are going to be.
Was just thinking about this. I think San Francisco tops the list, since rumor was it was basically a coin flip between them and Seattle. Sounds like Philly really wanted a team so they probably have a shot as well, though there might be some concerns about weather early in the season. With that in mind I wonder if cities with domes (like Indianapolis or Detroit) might get a close look.

Frankly, I don't see many AAF cities with a realistic shot at an XFL team. San Antonio and Orlando are great markets, but they're not HUGE and there's already nearby XFL teams.

Among the AAF cities I think San Diego probably has the best shot at a team. Great weather, fairly large market. Plus the league may want to keep some geographical balance as they expand and after San Francisco the choice of strong west coast markets becomes a bit limited.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

So all the XFL wants in their league are large markets, preferably ones that already have an NFL team.......that's not surprising seeing as how that lecherous ego maniac Vince McMahon is owning the league. Next thing you know, he will start screaming at the announcers from a production truck during games.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:50 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:38 pm It will be interesting to see who the next expansion cities are going to be.
Was just thinking about this. I think San Francisco tops the list, since rumor was it was basically a coin flip between them and Seattle. Sounds like Philly really wanted a team so they probably have a shot as well, though there might be some concerns about weather early in the season. With that in mind I wonder if cities with domes (like Indianapolis or Detroit) might get a close look.

Frankly, I don't see many AAF cities with a realistic shot at an XFL team. San Antonio and Orlando are great markets, but they're not HUGE and there's already nearby XFL teams.

Among the AAF cities I think San Diego probably has the best shot at a team. Great weather, fairly large market. Plus the league may want to keep some geographical balance as they expand and after San Francisco the choice of strong west coast markets becomes a bit limited.
You do assume one thing, though, that probably won't come to fruition: that all teams will survive. At least some of the XFL's markets, if history is any indication, will be duds. So they may (and probably will) have to relocate a few franchises that won't work out. (If I had to pick, I'd say Washington is an extremely high risk for that, up against the Wizards and the still-successful Capitals. Baltimore would have been a far more logical location: no NHL, NBA or MLS and a history of supporting alt-pro ball. LA is a high risk for that, too, though they're likely safe simply because they need LA for a good TV deal and so Seattle won't be out of balance.)

I'll also add:
- The original XFL did not shy away from cold-weather markets, so I would not rule out a team like Philly especially if New York is in the mix. What concerns me about Philly is that it's simply so crowded: NHL, NBA, NLL, lots of college basketball and MLS. They love sports, but are they big enough to support that many? (Green Bay, on the other hand... the XFL's not nuts.)
- I wouldn't rule out teams in close proximity. Look at the success arena football had with the War on I-4 and Tampa Bay vs. Orlando. Plus, with only ten games in a season, it wouldn't stretch to see fans go to games of both teams. Dallas and Houston already have a little of that. Could a San Antonio and/or Austin team still succeed? I think so. If there's one thing the XFL loves, it's to develop storylines and rivalries. Teams in close proximity to each other fuel that.

If I'm in charge of XFL potential relocation/expansion, I'm considering San Antonio or Austin, San Diego, Orlando, Oakland, and Baltimore for season 2. I could see a few wild-cards but right now the XFL will probably want to stick to major league markets, preferably current or recent NFL ones.

Who won't get teams? The repeat flops (sorry, Birmingham Bolts and Memphis Maniax fans, however few there are), cities that don't support alt-pro ball (Chicago, Salt Lake), and pretty much any city that doesn't have another major league team though they logically might support alt-pro ball or have in the past (so Vince is probably overlooking Tucson, Omaha, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Shreveport and maybe even Sacramento).
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:53 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:50 pm

You do assume one thing, though, that probably won't come to fruition: that all teams will survive. At least some of the XFL's markets, if history is any indication, will be duds. So they may (and probably will) have to relocate a few franchises that won't work out. (If I had to pick, I'd say Washington is an extremely high risk for that, up against the Wizards and the still-successful Capitals. Baltimore would have been a far more logical location: no NHL, NBA or MLS and a history of supporting alt-pro ball. LA is a high risk for that, too, though they're likely safe simply because they need LA for a good TV deal and so Seattle won't be out of balance.)

I'll also add:
- The original XFL did not shy away from cold-weather markets, so I would not rule out a team like Philly especially if New York is in the mix. What concerns me about Philly is that it's simply so crowded: NHL, NBA, NLL, lots of college basketball and MLS. They love sports, but are they big enough to support that many? (Green Bay, on the other hand... the XFL's not nuts.)
- I wouldn't rule out teams in close proximity. Look at the success arena football had with the War on I-4 and Tampa Bay vs. Orlando. Plus, with only ten games in a season, it wouldn't stretch to see fans go to games of both teams. Dallas and Houston already have a little of that. Could a San Antonio and/or Austin team still succeed? I think so. If there's one thing the XFL loves, it's to develop storylines and rivalries. Teams in close proximity to each other fuel that.

If I'm in charge of XFL potential relocation/expansion, I'm considering San Antonio or Austin, San Diego, Orlando, Oakland, and Baltimore for season 2. I could see a few wild-cards but right now the XFL will probably want to stick to major league markets, preferably current or recent NFL ones.

Who won't get teams? The repeat flops (sorry, Birmingham Bolts and Memphis Maniax fans, however few there are), cities that don't support alt-pro ball (Chicago, Salt Lake), and pretty much any city that doesn't have another major league team though they logically might support alt-pro ball or have in the past (so Vince is probably overlooking Tucson, Omaha, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Shreveport and maybe even Sacramento).

Yeah, some teams could relocate. As an LA fan I worry a bit about the team having to compete with the Lakers during the first half of the season and the Dodgers in the second half. But you're probably right in that the TV revenue they produce will probably save them.

I'm not ruling out cold weather markets, but I think the league may give preference to warmer cities. The league seems to have made media market size the biggest factor in selecting teams and they STILL passed over Chicago. The fact that they're prioritizing TV viewership so much is the biggest reason why I think it's unlikely they expand into nearby markets. No need to double your overhead costs if the team you have in place is delivering a decent share of the market already.

So much is going to depend on how this first season goes.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I could see some expansion into the Midwest in the future, if they are able to get through the first three years, which right now is a long shot. I think that if they do, it's Indianapolis, Detroit and Minneapolis. Minneapolis though is over crowded. I do hope that the league doesn't get too ambitious and go North of the Border, despite the fact that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are international cities.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 am I could see some expansion into the Midwest in the future, if they are able to get through the first three years, which right now is a long shot. I think that if they do, it's Indianapolis, Detroit and Minneapolis. Minneapolis though is over crowded. I do hope that the league doesn't get too ambitious and go North of the Border, despite the fact that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are international cities.
Indianapolis doesn't have an MLB, MLS or NHL team to compete with. All that XFL Indy would have to compete with would be the Pacers.
Ready for the team reveals...again
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

XFL_FAN wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 am
GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 am I could see some expansion into the Midwest in the future, if they are able to get through the first three years, which right now is a long shot. I think that if they do, it's Indianapolis, Detroit and Minneapolis. Minneapolis though is over crowded. I do hope that the league doesn't get too ambitious and go North of the Border, despite the fact that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are international cities.
Indianapolis doesn't have an MLB, MLS or NHL team to compete with. All that XFL Indy would have to compete with would be the Pacers.
It would not be a bad thing. Indy has a team in the lower level USL, but right now they are a long shot for MLS.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 pm
It would not be a bad thing. Indy has a team in the lower level USL, but right now they are a long shot for MLS.
I wish the Indy 11 would be an MLS team, but the MLS doesn't seem to want Indianapolis. Neither does the NHL or MLB. I hope an XFL team comes here, and since we have a dome (stadium w/ roof) we have a shot.
Ready for the team reveals...again
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Indiana is a realistic expansion target, perhaps a little on the small side (metro area of 2.3 million), but not out of the realm of possibility. Cincinnati would be another one to consider: about the same size, no NBA or NHL teams, and multiple stadium options, though all outdoors.