Team 9

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Team 9

Post by Tank55 »

Oliver Luck said there will be a team 9 located in Dallas of 40 XFL players teams can pull from similar to the G League in a radio interview!
https://twitter.com/osctoday/status/1121188304710455296
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Jerseyknight458
Kicker

Re: Team 9

Post by Jerseyknight458 »

This makes sense They need players in game shape ready to go in case of injuries or cuts.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 pm
Oliver Luck said there will be a team 9 located in Dallas of 40 XFL players teams can pull from similar to the G League in a radio interview!
https://twitter.com/osctoday/status/1121188304710455296
Great concept. Used in NFL Europe.

A 9th team comprised of league signed players that do not make the other 8 teams in training camp. The team will be stationed in Arlington, Texas. They will have coaches and practices. These players will be paid during the season under standard league contracts. The players will be available to teams if there are injuries etc

Smart move.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Depending on whether he actually wants to be in the DFW area for a few months a year, coaching team 9 is a role I could see John Fox stepping into. Given his role as an adviser he'd be well qualified to teach the players the league's unique rules and this would allow him to continue to play an active role in the league without the pressures of actually coaching a team.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm Depending on whether he actually wants to be in the DFW area for a few months a year, coaching team 9 is a role I could see John Fox stepping into. Given his role as an adviser he'd be well qualified to teach the players the league's unique rules and this would allow him to continue to play an active role in the league without the pressures of actually coaching a team.
I don’t think that there will be too many high profile coaches for Team 9. It might be a good entry level position for coaches who don’t latch on to the 8 teams. Perhaps a semi-retired line coach or assistant type can contribute as well.

Eric Galko said it in an interview on The XFL Show a few months back. I am paraphrasing but it was a comment that seems to tie to the “Team 9” concept. How once players sign on to the league, that they won’t be abandoned if they don’t make the final 8 rosters. Perhaps Team 9 exists to aid the 8 teams when they need replacements but it also aids players in still being employed despite not making the cut.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Curious to see what their colors are going to be.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

I’m curious to see if teams will be allowed to trade out players that underperform, which would allow for other teams to pick them up as a “better fit” to team 9. (Vs only if they get hurt).

I’d like to see some TSL gear or Generals gear (per photos). Maybe give the practice squad a mascot (the rogue, or bounty hunters, lol). Or recycle old XFL logos?

Maybe (as they will be practicing together), they can play the lowest ranked team of the year at the end of the season, prior to the championship game.

Either way it’s an opportunity for marketing extra gear, giving fringe players in the league an opportunity to shine!
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GoDogs wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:51 am I’m curious to see if teams will be allowed to trade out players that underperform, which would allow for other teams to pick them up as a “better fit” to team 9. (Vs only if they get hurt).

I’d like to see some TSL gear or Generals gear (per photos). Maybe give the practice squad a mascot (the rogue, or bounty hunters, lol). Or recycle old XFL logos?

Maybe (as they will be practicing together), they can play the lowest ranked team of the year at the end of the season, prior to the championship game.

Either way it’s an opportunity for marketing extra gear, giving fringe players in the league an opportunity to shine!
I think any players that get released during the season, could theoretically stay under league contract and revert to Team 9, once they clear waivers. That’s probably how it will be set up.

Perhaps Team 9 could wear those generic uniforms we see in all of the XFL’s promotional material for reimagining the game etc

Not sure if they will be branded. The players or coaches might nickname the team, The Niners.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 am Not sure if they will be branded. The players or coaches might nickname the team, The Niners.
Heh. Now that sounds like something the OLD XFL would do. :lol:
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 am
GoDogs wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:51 am I’m curious to see if teams will be allowed to trade out players that underperform, which would allow for other teams to pick them up as a “better fit” to team 9. (Vs only if they get hurt).

Not sure if they will be branded. The players or coaches might nickname the team, The Niners.
I believe the name Niners is a shorthand name to refer to San Francisco's NFL team.