Spring League Megathread

XFL Football discussion.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Re: Spring League Megathread

Post by SamTheRam28 »

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1114 ... 62913?s=19

This includes a full picture of the new XFL kickoff. I like it.
St. Louis BattleHawks
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:23 pm https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1114 ... 62913?s=19

I thought they may go in that direction. Didn't think they would move them that far up though. Can't advance until ball is caught or ball passes 35yd line? I wonder what other options they are testing.

It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Andibald wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:19 pm
SamTheRam28 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:23 pm https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1114 ... 62913?s=19

I thought they may go in that direction. Didn't think they would move them that far up though. Can't advance until ball is caught or ball passes 35yd line? I wonder what other options they are testing.

Neither team can advance until the ball is caught. And this is the only kickoff being tested, 99% sure this will be the XFL kickoff come 2020.
St. Louis BattleHawks
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMBN2FRdlY

POSTED ON04/07/2019
This is the XFL Show Episode 63: Doug Whaley and Justin King – A Conversation About XFL Football Operations
This week XFL Senior Vice President of Football Operations Doug Whaley and Manager of Football Operations Justin King join us for a conversation about everything being planned for the XFL’s on-field product. While Whaley, King, and their team are down in Texas testing and reimagining the game of Football at The Spring League, they take time to fill us in on all the new rules and ideas that could ultimately be implemented in the XFL come 2020! If you are a Football freak, you cannot miss this epic Football conversation with the brains behind the Football operation of the XFL!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Andibald wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:40 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMBN2FRdlY

POSTED ON04/07/2019
This is the XFL Show Episode 63: Doug Whaley and Justin King – A Conversation About XFL Football Operations
This week XFL Senior Vice President of Football Operations Doug Whaley and Manager of Football Operations Justin King join us for a conversation about everything being planned for the XFL’s on-field product. While Whaley, King, and their team are down in Texas testing and reimagining the game of Football at The Spring League, they take time to fill us in on all the new rules and ideas that could ultimately be implemented in the XFL come 2020! If you are a Football freak, you cannot miss this epic Football conversation with the brains behind the Football operation of the XFL!

Some interesting notes from the interview:

On April 11th the Spring League game will have XFL rules. They also had XFL rules on yesterday's game.

A "Summer Showcase" is planned for the XFL in the 8 XFL cities. It's pretty much like the NFL combine without the "underwear olympics". The Summer Showcase is also a tryout for "walk-on" players too. The XFL will sign players from the event.

For OT rules they're thinking about both teams running 5 plays close to the opponent's endzone. The team that scores the most touchdowns wins. Kind of like a soccer shootout.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 am
Andibald wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:40 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMBN2FRdlY

POSTED ON04/07/2019

On April 11th the Spring League game will have XFL rules. They also had XFL rules on yesterday's game.

A "Summer Showcase" is planned for the XFL in the 8 XFL cities. It's pretty much like the NFL combine without the "underwear olympics". The Summer Showcase is also a tryout for "walk-on" players too. The XFL will sign players from the event.

For OT rules they're thinking about both teams running 5 plays close to the opponent's endzone. The team that scores the most touchdowns wins. Kind of like a soccer shootout.
This wasn't explained very well. They said something about "10 seconds to get to the other end". Are teams switching end zones after each try? Are the officials running 100+ yards to the other end each time? In 10 seconds? Need more info and clarification.

Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Hate the shootout idea. I know they want to end it swiftly and creatively, but they should really take this opportunity to be a leader in the sport with a clean, fair concept.

My vote is just keep playing. If the game is tied, treat it like the end of Q1 or Q3; flip directions and it becomes sudden death. Whoever had the ball keeps the ball with the same down and distance.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I don't like the continuation idea as that puts no pressure on the team with the ball near the end of the game.

Not a fan of the shoot out either based on the confusing explanation. A quicker shootout would be to have the kickers try from 40yd line until someone makes more after equal kicks. That could go back and forth easier than running full plays.

I would rather see them use the tiered extra point to break the tie. Each team gets a possession but can choose the yardage/points (2yd line = 1 pt, 5 yd line = 2 points, 10 yd line = 3 pts). Keep the teams on the same end of the field. Continue until someone has a lead after equal possessions.

That said, until I hear a good OT system, I would prefer letting the game end in a tie during regular season and play a full overtime period (10-15 minutes) with 4th quarter timing for the playoffs.

MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 am

POSTED ON04/07/2019

The XFL show is a must listen this week for all followers of this league. Check out their show if you haven't at this point. The interview left more questions than answers, but it's still a good listen.

There's really so much revealed and so much to discuss. Some of it, I think that the hosts needed to ask better follow up questions to. If you are asking about kickoffs, the follow-up has to be, how would onside kicks work with the new formation?

You kind of forget everything. Once you hear about the overtime idea. I have to see this in play first. Still sketchy on the details. Credit to the hosts for understanding it better than I did. Alan and Bryant seemed to love the idea.

Manager of Football Ops Justin King stated that the XFL's rules were being fully adopted for these Spring League games. It makes them must-see if they become available. This is the 3rd wave of testing. They did their run with The NJCAA and Your Call Football. Overtime games are so rare that you gotta hope that one of the TSL games goes into overtime and tests out this XFL idea. If Bleacher Report Live airs the games, then we can see and judge it as fans. Regardless of whether any of the 4 TSL games go into overtime. I am sure that the concept is or has been tested.

Let's start with the overtime. Which is being described as similar to a rapid fire soccer shootout. It sounds pretty radical to me. I'm on the fence here. Mostly because I am in the dark on most of the key details. At this point, I have to state that I don't like it. It's not clean or clear to me. I have heard this OT suggestion by none other than Jim Harbaugh a few years back. It's funny remembering that now, because Oliver Luck briefly mentioned Harbaugh's idea in an interview last year.

To the best of my knowledge or comprehension skills. If the game is tied after 4 quarters of play. Both teams offenses line up on opposite ends of the field. Each offense gets 5 plays inside the opposing teams 5 yard line. Supposedly the team that scores the most in those five tries wins.... The number used in this was 3 but that just confuses matters more. Does a team have to get to 3 scores?... Regardless, how does one determine, who goes first? It sounds like both teams get turns, for lack of a better term. Which is what was implied during the interview. Kind of a back and forth sequence on opposite ends of the field. Perhaps, I am reading that incorrectly.
So let's pretend the Dallas offense scores first, Houston then runs an offensive play against the Dallas defense on the opposite side of the field.

Confusing to me. Perhaps it's my level of intelligence. So let's pretend that Dallas scores on their first three tries and Houston fails on their first 3 tries. Game over right?.... That eliminates both teams having to attempt 5 scoring plays. What if both teams score an equal amount of scores? What if both teams go 0 for 5? Does the "shootout" continue?....

A shootout can be a an exciting sequence of events but the devil is in the details here. Perhaps someone can explain how this would really work.