What the XFL can learn from the AAF?

XFL Football discussion.
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: What the XFL can learn from the AAF?

Post by Andibald »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 am
XFL_FAN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:31 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 pm

"Tell your story"..... Well stated.... That's a huge key. Being NFL Light is not a draw.
Was thinking the same thing. Well said Tank55, I should put that quote into my signature.
Borrowed this great line from Tank for my recent article on the main page. Credited him too because he hit the nail on the head.
Nice article!
https://xflboard.com/news/2019/03/31/th ... f-the-xfl/

Though it's simple, I always liked the USFL Breakers helmet
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Great article Mike!
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:51 pm Great article Mike!
Thanks Tank. This board was the inspiration for it. I have had someone in the league office reach out to me recently and tell me that they are reading this board. Your post was a big factor in my direction this week.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:10 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 am
XFL_FAN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:31 pm
Was thinking the same thing. Well said Tank55, I should put that quote into my signature.
Borrowed this great line from Tank for my recent article on the main page. Credited him too because he hit the nail on the head.
Nice article!
https://xflboard.com/news/2019/03/31/th ... f-the-xfl/

Though it's simple, I always liked the USFL Breakers helmet
Thanks andibald. The breakers helmet had so much personality. Just like the entire USFL.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:01 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:51 pm Great article Mike!
Thanks Tank. This board was the inspiration for it. I have had someone in the league office reach out to me recently and tell me that they are reading this board. Your post was a big factor in my direction this week.
Wow! The XFL is actually reading this board? I guess the slogan "they're listening" is right :)
Ready for the team reveals...again
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

XFL_FAN wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:41 pm Wow! The XFL is actually reading this board? I guess the slogan "they're listening" is right :)
I seem to recall cases of the XFL reading XFLBOARD back in 2001 as well. Keep in mind there was no Twitter or Reddit back then. There is even an article written by an XFLBOARD person that suggested the league call the championship the Million Dollar Game, and then a few weeks later they changed the name. :o
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Joker wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:45 pm There is even an article written by an XFLBOARD person that suggested the league call the championship the Million Dollar Game, and then a few weeks later they changed the name. :o
That was the Masked Prognosticator, an anonymous user who posted a prediction each week, and wagering tips based on Vegas odds. In February 2001, just over three weeks into the season, he posted an article called "How to Save the XFL" https://xflboard.com/news/2001/02/27/ho ... e-the-xfl/ where he suggested the XFL get in on the Million-dollar game show craze.

The Masked Prognosticator is long gone, but the article is still on the site.

If the Masked Prognosticator is reading this, drop the website an email. The XFL is coming back and we need your prognosticating skills. ;)
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

So Oliver Luck thinks the old USFL would still be around today by remaining in the spring?.......hogwash. Only if the USFL and NFL came to some kind of agreement to at least respect each others player contracts and maybe even figure out how to hold a common draft so competition for collegiate talent wouldn't result in choking each other to death. If not.....like I've stated before.....maybe they last a couple more seasons. The fall would've surely killed it. And if they stay in spring? They lose Mr. Trump and the Generals become another sisters of the poor franchise living off league funds like the Chicago Blitz and L.A. Express. The only person to ever profit from it ironically was it's founder David Dixon...... who sold his right to field a franchise for some 4 mil. And maybe Eddie Eimhorn as well......who profited from owning "a future Chicago team" that he never actually activated. Yet he was earning a share of the meager tv revenue coming from ABC. And ABC was another story. Yeah.....all the second year rapid expansion really did for them was pile on more financial exposure. But they needed the money to cover their original losses. It's easy to say in hindsight what should've happened. I think the original AFL and even MLS later on......prove what could be if you just remain steadfast.....keep your eye on the ball.....and don't knee jerk react when things are difficult. Lamar Hunt was such a guy.....and ironically.....he was part of both.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

So I guess what the XFL can learn is if you want to be a success.....play in the big leagues......build a strong product.....go after first rate talent......hold a collegiate draft and pay competitive salaries as farfetched as that seems. No need to raid the NFL. But if you can skim off some big names out of college......the NFL will pay attention.. Vince would probably have to sell ALL his WWE stock to have that kind if funding. A game with gimmicky rules played with minor players might catch a few eyeballs early. .....but faddish things like that wear off......like Disco.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

A Kyler Murray for example.....is that kind of talent they should chase. The NFL has a rookie cap......that could be exploited. You'd have to overpay to lure him.....like Jim Kelly and Steve Young. But you need it for credibility..... to eventually build a product that forces the big bully to talk about a mutual accommodation. If you don't...... fans will abandon ship when the novelty of it wanes down.....and it always does. I used to go to Invaders games in Oakland because they had a product I wanted to see. I would do the same for the Seafarers......if they have a product I want to see......otherwise......nice try.