XFL's momentum is waning

XFL Football discussion.
Joker
Quarterback

XFL's momentum is waning

Post by Joker »

The XFL had some big announcements in a row, and excitement was building. Now... crickets for a while. Maybe I'm impatient, but with the AAF having some success in their inaugural season the XFL should at least be keeping themselves in the news.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
tshanks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL's momentum is waning

Post by tshanks »

It does seem slow. Perception is reality.

I thought the XFL was beginning to speed things up? Maybe this is just a glitch?
Lover of the game, and looking forward to Spring football. Reporting on the XFL.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The TV deal is weird. Luck's been talking like it's a done deal for over a month now. But maybe they're waiting to get past the first weekend of March Madness? Who knows. I'm also still of the mind that all the XFL's newsworthy moments are at least a partial assist to the AAF.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

A little bit surprised there hasn't been any reports on who the next coach is going to be and where he's going to coach next.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Joker wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:21 am The XFL had some big announcements in a row, and excitement was building. Now... crickets for a while. Maybe I'm impatient, but with the AAF having some success in their inaugural season the XFL should at least be keeping themselves in the news.
Even the AAF has died down. Their ratings went down this past weekend and their heading into March Madness, couple that with all the NFL Combine talk, draft prep, the free agency wave and then eventually the draft in late April. It’s hard to get attention during this period.

The XFL has a lot of work to do. They have time but they can’t afford any delays in their road to 2020. The sooner they get these coaching staffs and city offices in place the better. There does appear to be a delay in their GM/Coach hires. Hamilton, Zorn and Trestman were worked on for several months. Zorn was Luck’s target as soon as Seattle was chosen. Oliver was recruiting Pep in the summer of 2018. Oliver visited Trestman in Toronto back in January after his double hip replacement surgery.

If the league can’t get the candidates they want. They might have to settle for their 2nd and 3rd choices.

The league right now is scouting the NFL draft. Testing their league rules with YCF today and tomorrow. They then head to Austin Texas at the end of the month to work with The Spring League. It’s go time. They need to get their last 4 hires completed and start to move forward.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

They have a few former NFL head coaches on their advisory committee. Might the XFL go to those guys if their first choices say no?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm They have a few former NFL head coaches on their advisory committee. Might the XFL go to those guys if their first choices say no?
I know that Jim Caldwell has accepted a position with The Miami Dolphins. So he is out.

With John Fox. I am sure that some discussions have taken place. He’s been coaching for a long time without a break. It’s possible that he doesn’t want to jump back into the fray just yet.
AmericanNoise
Kicker

Post by AmericanNoise »

Coaches, names, and TV announcement was all supposed to be done by the end of next month. Getting a little tight. Might have to do two announcements at once in a bit.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

AmericanNoise wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 pm Coaches, names, and TV announcement was all supposed to be done by the end of next month. Getting a little tight. Might have to do two announcements at once in a bit.
Following start ups as long as I have. Delays are common place. They can be scary because a lot of these leagues fail to even launch. In the XFL’s case. They are trying to cross all their T’s and dot all their I’s. Time is their ally but can also become their enemy. The league is trying to do everything right and not rush.

The cities announcement was later than everyone expected. It was expected to be announced in the fall. The months of September, October and November rolled by with no announcement. Finally the league ironed out all the financial details and made the announcement in December. Technically the fall but later than everyone expected.

This could be the case with the coach hires and TV deal. We expect end of March but get end of April instead
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:38 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm They have a few former NFL head coaches on their advisory committee. Might the XFL go to those guys if their first choices say no?
I know that Jim Caldwell has accepted a position with The Miami Dolphins. So he is out.

With John Fox. I am sure that some discussions have taken place. He’s been coaching for a long time without a break. It’s possible that he doesn’t want to jump back into the fray just yet.

That's my thinking, although I think it's possible they ask Fox to be an emergency option. If they get to a point where they can't find an ideal candidate for a city I could see Fox stepping in just to get them through the first season.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3