BigPlay.com Podcast with Oliver Luck tonight

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

BigPlay.com Podcast with Oliver Luck tonight

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL.com is promoting it and the hosts of the show are asking for questions. You can check it out tonight at 8pm eastern. Maybe we will get some good questions and some real news.

The interview is scheduled for 8:30pm
GDAWG
MVP

Re: BigPlay.com Podcast with Oliver Luck tonight

Post by GDAWG »

Interesting that there hasn't been a rumor of where the next head coaching hire is going to be or who it's going to be this week.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm Interesting that there hasn't been a rumor of where the next head coaching hire is going to be or who it's going to be this week.
To be quite candid. I spoke with someone inside the Houston Sports Authority and I was told there was supposed to be a press conference last Friday. For whatever reason, there has been a delay in that hire.

As for the podcast. I just finished listening to it. Once again, another disappointing interview. Despite these hosts asking fans to give them questions for Luck.

Oliver was asked about Johnny Manziel but the host gave him an out in the question, when he asked if Oliver would let his hc/GM’s decide on which players they want. Oliver was very vague in his answer and cited that the hc/gm’s would have a say on quarterbacks. Oliver kind of pushed hard that the league is not in the business of just being a developmental league.

I really wish that I was conducting these interviews. Tired of the “so how and when did Vince McMahon reach out to you”. I have probably heard that question and answer over 700 times now. I understand why these hosts ask it because they are not up to speed on that story but it’s time that hosts start asking football related questions. Like Russ Salzberg and a few others did in the past.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The primary audience of these podcasts aren't XFL addicts. A deep dive isn't in the interest of the show or in the interest of the XFL.

I hope the top choice in Houston didn't fall through. Thanks for sharing Mike.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 pm The primary audience of these podcasts aren't XFL addicts. A deep dive isn't in the interest of the show or in the interest of the XFL.

I hope the top choice in Houston didn't fall through. Thanks for sharing Mike.
Your welcome. I am not an insider but I heard and wrote here weeks back that things fell through in the interview process with Jim Haslett. Whatever info or thoughts I have, I share. I am not sure what is going on with Houston other than what I was told. The league is in a bit of a holding pattern right now with hires. They haven’t made all of them yet. Some people think it’s them not making it official but it’s really that they haven’t chosen all of them yet. It takes two to tango. Some people don’t interview well and some like Jim Leavitt only wanted one job.

As for XFL related interviews. I agree with you, but No disrespect to interviewers out there but there’s only a few who know how to ask the right questions.

Russ Salzberg is a veteran. He’s a bit of a douche but he’s a pro’s pro. His interview with Oliver Luck back in November was terrific. He asked the right questions. Sure it was in that old school New York style but he got his answers. The player pay tier deal was because of his questions 5 months ago. New York guys cut through the bs and get straight to the heart of the matter.
XFLSTLOUIS
Receiver

Post by XFLSTLOUIS »

Thanks for the update. Any news about St. Louis? Many thought Haslett was going to be the choice, however that does not seem to be the case. Oliver Luck on a local Radio interview said the coach they had in mind for St. Louis played many years in the NFL but would not disclose the team he played for. Isaac Bruce has expressed interest in being part of the XFL team in St. Louis. He is loved and respected by all of the fans here and would be a great addition to the coaching staff.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLSTLOUIS wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 pm Thanks for the update. Any news about St. Louis? Many thought Haslett was going to be the choice, however that does not seem to be the case. Oliver Luck on a local Radio interview said the coach they had in mind for St. Louis played many years in the NFL but would not disclose the team he played for. Isaac Bruce has expressed interest in being part of the XFL team in St. Louis. He is loved and respected by all of the fans here and would be a great addition to the coaching staff.
I think it’s possible that Bruce gets the job. Even if he isn’t the league’s first choice. The league can afford to go outside the box with a hire or two.

If they can’t get a big name coach or someone like Gary Pinkel, who has strong Missouri ties. I would advise them to hire Bruce. Sure there will be some who criticize the hire but that’s going to be the case with most of these hires. It’s ok to have some hires that go against the book. At least in Bruce’s case. He is a draw. If he flops and goes 1 and 9. Address it in year two.

This is after all, a start up league. Finding coaches to buy in is not easy. This isn’t the NFL. Coaches aren’t being paid millions of dollars. You are asking football coaches to take a chance on your league.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Bruce would be a terrible choice, IMO. We talk all the time about the XFL needs to focus on the XFL and not define itself by its relationship with the NFL. Hiring someone whose primary qualification is that he's a former Ram runs completely counter to that. If the XFL can't kill it in St. Louis without resorting to a -- yes -- gimmick like that, they should close up shop now and save some money.

I get the appeal. He's extremely well-spoken, comes across as very serious and thoughtful (something the XFL can't get enough of, IMO), and is beloved in the city. If you can find a role for him that he's qualified for, that would be awesome. But you can't stress how seriously you're going to take the quality of play and then hire someone with zero experience to be your head coach.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm Bruce would be a terrible choice, IMO. We talk all the time about the XFL needs to focus on the XFL and not define itself by its relationship with the NFL. Hiring someone whose primary qualification is that he's a former Ram runs completely counter to that. If the XFL can't kill it in St. Louis without resorting to a -- yes -- gimmick like that, they should close up shop now and save some money.

I get the appeal. He's extremely well-spoken, comes across as very serious and thoughtful (something the XFL can't get enough of, IMO), and is beloved in the city. If you can find a role for him that he's qualified for, that would be awesome. But you can't stress how seriously you're going to take the quality of play and then hire someone with zero experience to be your head coach.
I get it. So who do you interview and hire for the job. A name like Haslett is not going to draw fans to games
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'd let the marketing and sales departments worry about attendance. If St. Louis's ONLY goal was to win the XFL championship, where would Isaac Bruce rank on their list? It's tempting to get distracted when you're a single entity, but that's how the XFL needs to be thinking and talking. The faster the XFL can get people to talking about its teams and its season as something important in and of itself, the better.

But to answer your question, I think a relative unknown like Pep Hamilton would be fine. I think St. Louis especially would respond well to an up and comer rather than an NFL retread. It's nice if the guys on your list have name recognition or a local connection, but they don't all have to be like that. They do all have to be actual football coaches.