The final four XFL Head Coach/GM openings

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: The final four XFL Head Coach/GM openings

Post by GDAWG »

I could see Haslett to St. Louis, Rex Ryan in New York, Jack Del Rio to LA and I don't know to Houston.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:43 pm I could see Haslett to St. Louis, Rex Ryan in New York, Jack Del Rio to LA and I don't know to Houston.
My dream in Houston was Oliver Luck's old roommate and teammate with The Oilers, Mike Munchak. He's in Denver now, supposedly to be near his daughter.

If you want an outside the box Sean McVay type hire for Houston. There's Drew Mehringer, The Texas passing game coordinator and WR coach. He's only 31 years old. Played QB at Rice, is from Texas, and coached at The University of Houston, home of XFL Houston. Mehringer was just named Rivals.com #1 recruiter in the nation. I doubt that the XFL pursues anyone like that but he's very charismatic and has future head coach written all over him. Texas is kind of strange. Their head coach Tom Herman recently gave all of his assistants 1 year deals as a motivational ploy, the idea is to force his assistants to continue to perform at a high level. He's probably going to end up losing some of his guys as a result in the future, due to lack of long term security.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 pm Didn't Gary Pinkel retire due to health reasons?
He did. Pinkel had non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He’s been in remission for a few years now. He’s cancer free. He’s been enjoying his retirement after coaching for 4 decades. I don’t know if he has any interest in returning to coaching. Definitely not on the college level but he’s beloved in Missouri. I think XFL St. Louis is the only job he would consider, if and that’s a gigantic if he would everconsider coming out of retirement.
I would loved Pinkel as the coach if it was someone that had to have coaching experience over lets say Bruce. I think it would be a far stretch for him to do so.
XFLSTLOUIS
Receiver

Post by XFLSTLOUIS »

It would make sense to announce the remaining 4 coaches soon before baseball season starts. With the NCAA basketball tournament ramping up, NHL hockey season moving to the playoffs, MLS soccer season started and MLB ready to start, it would seem that now is the best time to promote the XFL with the 4 additional coaches announced so they can start building momentum in their cities before competing with the other sports.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Maybe their is an announcement this week as Your Call Football is done now and they can concentrate on finishing the coaching hires.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 pm Maybe their is an announcement this week as Your Call Football is done now and they can concentrate on finishing the coaching hires.
Deadline for this is probably Thursday. If they are going to hire someone this week. The conference has to be on a weekday with at least a days notice for the media.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

No updates this week. With The Spring League starting next Friday 3/29, it’s less than ideal that the league doesn’t have all 8 of it’s Head Coach/GM’s on board.

The league hiring it’s first team president is a good sign but things need to start moving forward in the coach hires.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

LA does not name their coach/GM but their team President:

https://xfl2k.com/news/heather-brooks-k ... president/
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

LA did something at less. Honestly thought I'm surprised we didn't get anything, we should have by this point. I just really want to know who they have for St. Louis since that will be my team.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:07 am LA does not name their coach/GM but their team President:

https://xfl2k.com/news/heather-brooks-k ... president/
It’s an important and impressive hire. Just getting quality people like this is an important building block for the league.

It’s not easy to get quality people to commit to upstart businesses or sports leagues. Especially in the XFL’s case because the league is carrying baggage. The hires show other worthy candidates that this league is worth investing in.