The final four XFL Head Coach/GM openings

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

The final four XFL Head Coach/GM openings

Post by MikeMitchell »

And then there were 4. The XFL is halfway home in hiring all 8 of the league's GM/Head Coaches. With Bob Stoops in Dallas, Jim Zorn in Seattle, Pep Hamilton in DC and now Marc Trestman in Tampa.

The 4 openings are New York, St. Louis, Houston and Los Angeles. Jim Haslett and Jim Leavitt have been interviewed by the league. Leavitt supposedly wanted the Tampa job only. Haslett's name is up in the air right now.

Until some more names are reported. We can only speculate to this point, as to who the league is interviewing and targeting to fill the final half of their hires.

Here is a list of former NFL and College Head Coaches, that are available on the market. Whether or not, any of these coaches are in consideration or will consider the XFL is unknown. I am leaving out any assistant coaches in college or the pros. If I missed any names, let me know. Keep in mind, these are not all personal choices, just a list of former head coaches that are theoretically available. I am going to leave out any long time retired head coaches like Bill Parcells, Dick Vermeil, Tony Dungy etc

Mike Shanahan
Rex Ryan
Jack Del Rio
Greg Schiano(quit Patriots job)
John Fox
Mike Tice
Jim Mora Jr.
Brian Billick
Kevin Gilbride
Steve Mariucci
Bobby Petrino
Gary Pinkel
Jim Leavitt
Jim Haslett
Terry Donahue
Paul Johnson
Scott Linehan
Marty Mornhinweg
Jim Fassel
Charlie Weis
Eric Mangini
Todd Haley
Rob Chudzinski
Dave Wannstedt
Joe Philbin
Chan Gailey
Mike McCoy
Hue Jackson
Mike Smith (semi-retired)
Marvin Lewis (working with AAF as broadcaster, probably won't re-enter coaching ranks yet)
Ben McAdoo
Jeff Fisher (I know working with AAF but he could leave his role)

Update- Thursday April 11th. A lot has changed since this March 3rd post. It took over a month for the XFL to hire another Head Coach/GM. That happens this coming Tuesday in New York.

The big change in the market is the complete league suspension of The AAF. That in and of itself opens up the door for potential head coaches, assistants and executives. Although after Tuesday, there will be only 3 openings at Head Coach/GM in Los Angeles, Houston and St.Louis. There will also only be 4 openings remaining from The Team President side. In Tampa, Houston, Dallas, and St. Louis. As a result of the AAF folding. These coaches are now available

Steve Spurrier
Mike Martz
Mike Singletary
Tim Lewis
Rick Neuheisel
Mike Riley
Kevin Coyle
Dennis Erickson
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Re: The final four XFL Head Coach/GM openings

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Not that'd I'd necessarily want him coaching LA but I'm surprised John Fox has gotten more traction given his connection to the league. I'd have thought he'd be handed a job if he sought one. Perhaps he's done with coaching.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 am Not that'd I'd necessarily want him coaching LA but I'm surprised John Fox has gotten more traction given his connection to the league. I'd have thought he'd be handed a job if he sought one. Perhaps he's done with coaching.
That's a good point. I'm sure that Luck has discussed it with Fox at some point. I am sure that the idea may have been entertained by both Fox and Jim Caldwell.

There's one thing that a lot of the names on this list, have in common, their runs as NFL head coaches are most likely over.

I think that's the case with John Fox. He could end up back in the NFL as a DC but I just don't see him getting another go around with an NFL team as the head man. With most of these coaches, it's not a money thing. The veteran coaches have already made a lot of money. Guys like Stoops and Spurrier are doing it for the love of it. Perhaps Fox doesn't want to be on the grind anymore.Some of these coaches that finish their runs as NFL head coaches like Herman Edwards and Lovie Smith, they end up going into college football. That window is probably there for Fox, if he wants it.
MikeSherman
Receiver

Post by MikeSherman »

I don't think the XFL will consider Paul Johnson, but they should. Schematic diversity will make the league more interesting, and running an option offense will allow the team to target first- or second-rate option-style players rather than third-rate NFL-style players. But if it was going to come to pass, D.C. would have probably been the best market for it.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

MikeSherman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 am I don't think the XFL will consider Paul Johnson, but they should. Schematic diversity will make the league more interesting, and running an option offense will allow the team to target first- or second-rate option-style players rather than third-rate NFL-style players. But if it was going to come to pass, D.C. would have probably been the best market for it.
That's a good name. He's worth consideration. I would interview him if I was Oliver Luck and Doug Whaley. Johnson takes a lot of heat because of his Flex-Bone scheme. It's been very productive for him and he's had a great career in college, but his detractors feel that his unique offense keeps top recruits away, because it isn't NFL compatible. As exciting as Johnson's offenses were, they didn't produce a lot of NFL players at Georgia Tech. Specifically at RB. I think offensive lineman Shaq Mason is with the Pats.

I like diversity with the coaching staff and styles, so I would be all for someone like Johnson getting a shot. Does he want it? How fitting would it be if a guy who is criticized for not producing pro football talent, gets to run his own pro football team.
MikeSherman
Receiver

Post by MikeSherman »

And at the XFL level, that's a feature, not a bug. The players you develop will be less likely to leave for the NFL because of your offense. I'd bet his team would do extremely well.

He retired due to the grind of the job, so I have no idea if he would be interested in an XFL-level workload. But it would be a lot of fun, especially if the XFL could land Keenan Reynolds to play quarterback.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Didn't Gary Pinkel retire due to health reasons?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 pm Didn't Gary Pinkel retire due to health reasons?
He did. Pinkel had non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He’s been in remission for a few years now. He’s cancer free. He’s been enjoying his retirement after coaching for 4 decades. I don’t know if he has any interest in returning to coaching. Definitely not on the college level but he’s beloved in Missouri. I think XFL St. Louis is the only job he would consider, if and that’s a gigantic if he would everconsider coming out of retirement.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Also no to the scumbag Bobby Petrino in the XFL.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:13 pm Also no to the scumbag Bobby Petrino in the XFL.
😂

I am with you on that. Not a Petrino fan. He has a decent resume and notoriety but he’s not my cup of tea.