XFL confirms Arlington hub, February 24 training camp start

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

XFL confirms Arlington hub, February 24 training camp start

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

At least according to a letter James Larsen posted, sent by Doug Whaley to players from the 2023 season. Larsen says he received the letter secondhand from the UFPA, which as we know is dealing with some disputes with the official USFL union. (Kenneth Farrow, President of the UFPA, was on an XFL roster this past season so Farrow would've received the letter. So given that Larsen actually named his source, I have every reason to believe it's legit.)

Other details basically say that if a team survives the merger, they'll have the right to retain any players but that players who are signed to a team that is being contracted will be distributed in a dispersal draft. (Which we already knew.) I would assume the letters of intent would be covered under that retention clause.

It also discusses the expiration of the 2023 contracts and associated health insurance and directs players to their COBRA provider in the interim.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL confirms Arlington hub, February 24 training camp start

Post by GDAWG »

There will be some upset USFL people who would have preferred the hub in Birmingham.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:52 pm At least according to a letter James Larsen posted, sent by Doug Whaley to players from the 2023 season. Larsen says he received the letter secondhand from the UFPA, which as we know is dealing with some disputes with the official USFL union. (Kenneth Farrow, President of the UFPA, was on an XFL roster this past season so Farrow would've received the letter. So given that Larsen actually named his source, I have every reason to believe it's legit.)

Other details basically say that if a team survives the merger, they'll have the right to retain any players but that players who are signed to a team that is being contracted will be distributed in a dispersal draft. (Which we already knew.) I would assume the letters of intent would be covered under that retention clause.

It also discusses the expiration of the 2023 contracts and associated health insurance and directs players to their COBRA provider in the interim.
The damn is beginning to break... big news incoming.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:01 pm There will be some upset USFL people who would have preferred the hub in Birmingham.
I don't understand that at all. The Birm deal was over already. The AR deal was still active already AND the City of Arlington was paying the XFL to name the Renegades ARLINGTON, supposedly multimillions.

Birm is keeping the Stallions - thats what Birmingham wants. The USFL/XFL is playing in 2024, that what 99% of what people want to see.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:01 pm There will be some upset USFL people who would have preferred the hub in Birmingham.
Without knowing the financials of Arlington vs. Birmingham hubs, when you have three teams in Texas, an Arlington hub would seem to make more sense.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:52 pm
Without knowing the financials of Arlington vs. Birmingham hubs, when you have three teams in Texas, an Arlington hub would seem to make more sense.
Given the geographic footprint of the league in '24, the only other city that might be better is Memphis, and though I think it's possible Fred Smith would be willing to bankroll that, the fact that they still have the Arlington deal to run out only makes sense to play it through.

PLUS Fox Corporation has an O&O station in Dallas (KDFW, channel 4)—so to have some production facilities based there would fit.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:46 pm
I don't understand that at all. The Birm deal was over already. The AR deal was still active already AND the City of Arlington was paying the XFL to name the Renegades ARLINGTON, supposedly multimillions.

Birm is keeping the Stallions - thats what Birmingham wants. The USFL/XFL is playing in 2024, that what 99% of what people want to see.
I missworded the last post. I meant to say that there will be USFL fans who will have preferred the hub to be in Birmingham.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:42 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:46 pm

I missworded the last post. I meant to say that there will be USFL fans who will have preferred the hub to be in Birmingham.
I don't know... do people really care where the Hub is was my point esp when AR the city has a deal that the USXFL can leverage and Birms deal was done in 2022? I certainly hope not.

Especially with AR giving the league needed cash for calling the Renegades "Arlington"? That was a multimillion $$$ contract.

There's 8 teams not playing in 2024 that I can see fans of not happy about, but the hub placement I hope not.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If he's still involved in this merged league, Darryl Johnston won't have to stay in a hotel room for the summer doing league stuff.

:)

I also have doubts about the long term future of Choctaw Stadium as I don't think the stadium will be around in a decade.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:22 am If he's still involved in this merged league, Darryl Johnston won't have to stay in a hotel room for the summer doing league stuff.

:)

I also have doubts about the long term future of Choctaw Stadium as I don't think the stadium will be around in a decade.
I'm not sure there's much to worry about with regards to Choctaw. In the latter part of a decade this league with either not exist or it should be financially stable enough to where the new team owners should be able to find a home, whether it's Jerry World, Globe Life or another alternative.