Fox Sports announces XFL-USFL merger

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Fox Sports announces XFL-USFL merger

Post by MarkNelson »

I love how Jeff Brohm keeps getting notoriety for that interview. He should, as the hit he took in the prior week's game was legendary.

Incidentally, Brohm later admitted his response was not exactly scripted but he knew he would be interviewed in advance and thought about how he would respond.

From "XFL 2020:Rise and Fall"
What fans didn’t realize was how some of these moments were set-up, and if not scripted, were pre-prepared.

For example, in week six, sideline reporter Chris Wragge interviewed Orlando quarterback Jeff Brohm after he
returned to the field following a crushing sack that had taken him out the previous week.

The broadcast hyped the punishment Brohm had taken by showing a clip of him being sacked, and then lying motionless on the field with his helmet turned sideways.

Wragge asked, “Jeff Brohm, how in the world are you starting this game tonight after taking that hit six days ago?”

Brohm cockily responded, “Let me answer that question by asking you two questions. One, is this or is this not the XFL? Yes, it is. Two, do I or do not currently have a pulse? Yes, I do. Let’s play football.”

Privy to the conversation that had also aired on the loudspeakers in the Citrus Bowl, the in-stadium crowd went wild.

This moment stands as one of the most memorable of any onfield interview in the XFL. Brohm, now the head coach of the Purdue Boilermakers, is often asked about the moment. In fact, the Boilermakers’ marketing team even began to use the hashtag #LetsPlayFootball when marketing the team. However, truth be told, the question was predetermined, and Brohm had been able to work on his response in advance. Not exactly “scripted,” but not as random as it appeared to be. To Brohm’s credit, though, it did take a certain level of fortitude to get back on
the field after taking such a punishing hit.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

This merger is better than what would have been the XFL-CFL merger, because I didn't want that to happen. I didn't want it to happen because of the unique CFL rules and being merged with the XFL would have killed off all of the unique rules the CFL has right now. The CFL should never merge with any American based football leagues.

However, maybe one of the American based leagues should ask the CFL if they have any interest in ownership of their teams? This way, the CFL can keep things the way they are while still involved in 4 down, 11 man football. The only thing that would prevent such a thing are the community owned teams of Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and Edmonton.
nickp1991
Kicker

Post by nickp1991 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:39 pm
MGB01 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:25 pm Apparently any footage from the original has in fact crossed through the sale and merger, putting that to bed.
Keep in mind that this promo was actually aired during the Holiday Bowl, and that Jeff Brohm is one of the coaches in that game.

So the use of the clip is likely related to fair use tied to his current coaching career.
Jeff Brohm still owns the greatest XFL interview ever
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

One coach who is out is Hines Ward:

MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I hate "per sources." May be true, but I would prefer a second source.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:26 pm I hate "per sources." May be true, but I would prefer a second source.
I am sure that any time now, Houston Gamblers RB Mark Thompson will have the "info" we need.

:)
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:28 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:26 pm I hate "per sources." May be true, but I would prefer a second source.
I am sure that any time now, Houston Gamblers RB Mark Thompson will have the "info" we need.

:)
Yes, something is coming. Perhaps Hines Ward might post a farewell message. We shall see.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:48 pm However, truth be told, the question was predetermined, and Brohm had been able to work on his response in advance. Not exactly “scripted,” but not as random as it appeared to be. To Brohm’s credit, though, it did take a certain level of fortitude to get back on
the field after taking such a punishing hit.
[/quote] I mean, 1) it was Vince McMahon, and that kind of storytelling was to be expected given what he laid the XFL out to be, more sports entertainment and such. 2) even so, you had to think given the circumstances, that even the most basic of sideline reporters would have asked the same question. Jeff would've had to have known the question was coming even if he hadn't gotten the Hollywood Squares-style heads-up about the question beforehand.
AltFootballFan
Kicker

Post by AltFootballFan »

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

AltFootballFan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:49 pm
>>Mike Mitchell@ByMikeMitchell
Hines Ward is indeed out due to a contractual disagreement. Ward didn’t agree to terms of the new merged league’s coaching contracts, set to begin on January 1st. So the league has pivoted by placing Wade Phillips as the new head coach of the San Antonio Brahmas.
James Larsen
@JamesLarsenPFN
·
6h
BREAKING: In another turn of events, the San Antonio Brahmas have a new coach.

Per sources, Hines Ward is out. Wade Phillips, formerly with the @XFLRoughnecks, is lined up to take over as Head Coach of the @XFLBrahmas.

Another bizarre twist in the #USFL-#XFL merger. #UFL

4:28 PM · Dec 28, 2023 <<

I like it... cost cutting... Hines Ward and Woodson were name hires for attention. It didn't work. Now both are gone. Not saying I don't like those guys but its league sustainability 1st 2nd 3rd for me.