Unofficial XFL update

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Unofficial XFL update

Post by 4th&long »

keeping it separated to the last or they sign officially...

https://pfnewsroom.com/news/details-on- ... er-drafts/

>> ow, Houston is still unconfirmed when it comes to the overall branding. It is set to be the Gamblers staff and players, but it could still fall under the Roughnecks brand.

As for the XFL, this all but confirms what we’ve been hearing for the last month. The four XFL teams in the merged league include:

Arlington Renegades
DC Defenders
San Antonio Brahmas
St. Louis Battlehawks

This means that the remaining four XFL teams will be dissolved:

Houston Roughnecks
Orlando Guardians
Seattle Sea Dragons
Vegas Vipers

The new league, rumored to be named the UFL (United Football League), will only feature eight total teams. This is a major cutdown from the 16 teams we had between both the USFL and XFL. <<

>> As it stands right now, there will be #XFL and #USFL divisions in the new #UFL
- Each league will hold a draft, with its own pool of players from the teams that did not make the final cut
- Remaining teams from each league will be able to draft 10 picks from their respective player pools
- The purpose of these "mini-drafts" is to keep top tier XFL talent on the XFL side, and top tier USFL talent on the USFL side (again, divisions)
- Once this is concluded, the rest of the free agents will then be placed in a combined pool for the January 15th draft, and USFL/XFL teams will be able to select whoever they want from either side

As always, things are subject to change given the fluidity of the merger situation. <<

Now what I don't get is why they are keeping USFL and XFL division? Is it really going to be "one" league entity? Or a Partnership Owned by two separate leagues.
Not only that but why create confusion and require extra marketing with 3 names...UFL and XFL & USFL. The structure is veryyyy interesting.
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Re: Unofficial XFL update

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

If they keep the division names, I’m assuming that any teams that didn’t make the cut and are brought back in a year or two or whatever will be put under whichever league name division they existed under previously?
yg1968
Kicker

Post by yg1968 »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:53 pm If they keep the division names, I’m assuming that any teams that didn’t make the cut and are brought back in a year or two or whatever will be put under whichever league name division they existed under previously?
I would hope so.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:36 pm Now what I don't get is why they are keeping USFL and XFL division? Is it really going to be "one" league entity? Or a Partnership Owned by two separate leagues.
Not only that but why create confusion and require extra marketing with 3 names...UFL and XFL & USFL. The structure is veryyyy interesting.
Sounds like a Major Leagues thing to me, with bits of both the NFL and IFL mergers thrown in. Plus we'll see how it goes down TV side: All the intra div (conf/league/whatever) games would be on the respective nets I'm guessing, with the cross games going to the home team--a la college, since there's no blackout precedent which was the inspiration for how interconference games were divvied up in the NFL.

Who knows how this goes down between FOX and ESPN. They're both losing inventory here, though FOX not as much since NBC had a good chunk of the USFL last year anyway. Be funny if they started battling over new inventory since there's really nothing else (save for maybe FOX shelling out mucho bucks to get FSU out of the ACC and into the B1G) to squabble over.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:03 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:36 pm Now what I don't get is why they are keeping USFL and XFL division? Is it really going to be "one" league entity? Or a Partnership Owned by two separate leagues.
Sounds like a Major Leagues thing to me, with bits of both the NFL and IFL mergers thrown in. Plus we'll see how it goes down TV side: All the intra div (conf/league/whatever) games would be on the respective nets I'm guessing, with the cross games going to the home team--a la college, since there's no blackout precedent which was the inspiration for how interconference games were divvied up in the NFL.

Who knows how this goes down between FOX and ESPN. They're both losing inventory here, though FOX not as much since NBC had a good chunk of the USFL last year anyway. Be funny if they started battling over new inventory since there's really nothing else (save for maybe FOX shelling out mucho bucks to get FSU out of the ACC and into the B1G) to squabble over.
How do we know Fox is losing inventory at all? Disney for sure, but that's needed anyway as they have NBA/NHL playoffs going on and MLB?

Is this more marketing/appearances or legal structure/ownership. How this "merger" is legally structure and who owns what will certainly be interesting.