Official: 4 of 8 USFL teams to survive merger with XFL

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Official: 4 of 8 USFL teams to survive merger with XFL

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:21 am Keeping Arlington is going to be a mistake because nobody is going to attend a Renegades home game in Mid May when the temperature is 100. San Antonio has a dome, so that would not be a problem. It could also be a problem in Houston if NRG proves too expensive for the league. Night games are the only options for Renegades and Gamblers to avoid a mid afternoon summer heat.
Arlington probably still has a team because it sounds like they’re keeping the training camp hub. I would assume it would be in Arlington.
Last edited by GregParks on Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:37 am
GDAWG wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:21 am Keeping Arlington is going to be a mistake because nobody is going to attend a Renegades home game in Mid May when the temperature is 100. San Antonio has a dome, so that would not be a problem. It could also be a problem in Houston if NRG proves too expensive for the league. Night games are the only options for Renegades and Gamblers to avoid a mid afternoon summer heat.
Your point is valid. Too bad climate was not part of how decisions will be made. If it was, then Seattle has great weather at that time of the year. Aside from this topic, I don't understand how these owners make decisions. I do not believe they have the right leadership in place.
XFL has a naming rights deal in place with Arlington supposedly paying millions over X number of years. That included the hub being in Arlington. Also DFW-AR is the 5th largest TV market. Also Texas is biz friendly. That's the driver for Arlington.

The season starts on March 30th and assuming a 10 week reg season, 5 weeks will be played in March-April. That compares to XFL 2023 with reg season having 5 weeks in last week March and April. Plus Houston had the playoff game last week April. So 50% of reg season is similar.

Also there are now 3 dome stadiums out of 8 to avoid playing outside in unfavorable conditions. I'm sure that was a factor with TV weather delays in Memphis last year as well as heat in Birm/Memphis and Tx.

And don't forget late afternoon and night games to mitigate the temps.

I will say, Houston with no stadium that we are aware, was one I thought they may have replaced (ie weather) with a Canton or north east team... but then again they could not get Philly or NJ in time.

The merged league is about cost savings, max revenue and most of all TV. So I get it but...
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I live out in DFW and the long term future of Choctaw Stadium is unknown at this point. The stadium is not sustainable as a 48,000 seat stadium for minor league sports.
yg1968
Kicker

Post by yg1968 »

Mark Thompson (former Gamblers RB) said on Twitter space that he heard that the Gamblers would be rebranded as the Roughnecks. Disappointing if true.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

yg1968 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:00 pm Mark Thompson (former Gamblers RB) said on Twitter space that he heard that the Gamblers would be rebranded as the Roughnecks. Disappointing if true.
At this point why not just combine the teams and keep the Roughnecks name, especially if a venue has been secured in Houston. Changing over to the Gamblers won't net you anymore fans, but it will definitely lose some Roughnecks diehards. This has been way more complicated than it needs to be.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:18 pm
yg1968 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:00 pm Mark Thompson (former Gamblers RB) said on Twitter space that he heard that the Gamblers would be rebranded as the Roughnecks. Disappointing if true.
At this point why not just combine the teams and keep the Roughnecks name, especially if a venue has been secured in Houston. Changing over to the Gamblers won't net you anymore fans, but it will definitely lose some Roughnecks diehards. This has been way more complicated than it needs to be.
I think perhaps the USFLPA may have their hands in this. If you just took the Roughnecks then it's only 3 teams for their members. But if you just rebrand the Gamblers and keep the players then the USFLPA has no real beef.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Not saying I buy into the rumor, but if they do rebrand the Gamblers as Roughnceks, wonder which coaching staff they keep? One of the reasons I thought keeping the Roughnecks made more sense is because the value Wade Phillips brings to the league (and to the Houston market specifically).
@gregmparks
yg1968
Kicker

Post by yg1968 »

The opposite is also true. I am not a fan of the Roughnecks but I am a fan of the Gamblers. I won't become a fan of the Roughnecks (although I am not from Houston).
yg1968
Kicker

Post by yg1968 »

GregParks wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:12 pm
Not saying I buy into the rumor, but if they do rebrand the Gamblers as Roughnceks, wonder which coaching staff they keep? One of the reasons I thought keeping the Roughnecks made more sense is because the value Wade Phillips brings to the league (and to the Houston market specifically).
They would keep the coaches of the Gamblers. It is a just the Gamblers changing names.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

yg1968 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:20 pm

The opposite is also true. I am not a fan of the Roughnecks but I am a fan of the Gamblers. I won't become a fan of the Roughnecks (although I am not from Houston).
why? The Gamblers have never even played in Houston and have a consistent record of mediocrity, missing the playoffs both seasons.

The Roughnecks are an objectively better team and brand.