Houston Roughnecks News

XFL Football discussion.
sdem
Kicker

Re: Houston Roughnecks News

Post by sdem »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:32 am Spoke to a person close to a Roughnecks player who was released and they said they released the players so they may be picked up by other teams. I was told it did not look like the Roughnecks would survive the merge. Surprise surprise.
I think the last thing we should be trusting is the word of agents at the moment. They're the reason this space has had all these shitty rumors over the past few months.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Not that you’re wrong about the rumors, but it wasn’t exactly an agent. Bottom line is it seems the Roughnecks are clearing their roster.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

It is kind of a crazy time in Houston pro football with the 'Gambnecks' saga and the Texans playing the Oilers (in Nashville) yesterday ain't it? :D
sdem
Kicker

Post by sdem »

MarkNelson wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:43 am Not that you’re wrong about the rumors, but it wasn’t exactly an agent. Bottom line is it seems the Roughnecks are clearing their roster.
They just signed another LOI today, and they've been signing a bunch recently. It's not like they're even releasing Scott or Silvers or anything. They just had a very large roster size IMO.
mnrlgrey
Kicker

Post by mnrlgrey »

They signed 14 people two weeks ago. If there is some altruistic 'releasing players so they can sign with other teams' thing going on that is a pretty weird thing to do. They also signed another today.

Still, we have no news about a Roughnecks home (or Gamblers for that matter). They also aren't selling tickets but deposits still so I can't imagine there's a deal we just don't know about.

Maybe this has been the holdup and why they haven't given out concrete info in the past few weeks. Maybe the Roughnecks get put in a hub with Arlington for a season?

Really sucks these renovations had to come when they did. I wonder what the league would have done if there had been no merger?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Well, now we know that the Gamblers are going to be the surviving Houston team... so that would make sense.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:27 pm Well, now we know that the Gamblers are going to be the surviving Houston team... so that would make sense.
Yes, with the USFLPA confirming the Houston Gamblers will survive it seems to be the end for the Roughnecks (for this year anyways). My opinion is it’s a huge mistake, and just another sketchy decision made by these owners.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:14 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:27 pm Well, now we know that the Gamblers are going to be the surviving Houston team... so that would make sense.
Yes, with the USFLPA confirming the Houston Gamblers will survive it seems to be the end for the Roughnecks (for this year anyways). My opinion is it’s a huge mistake, and just another sketchy decision made by these owners.

There was a Save Our Roughnecks sign during "The Battle of Houston" the other day :lol:

But at the end of the day it is what it is. San Antonio (or an Orlando curveball) isn't (aren't) better than Houston as a market by any stretch of the imagination, but unless there's a desire to go Jets/Giants, Chargers/Rams, or old school-wise Texans/Cowboys (totally unwise at this point) this is it.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Its likely due to Houston playing elsewhere this year.... ie a hub. Better to restart fresh when they return is my thinking?
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:40 pm
Its likely due to Houston playing elsewhere this year.... ie a hub. Better to restart fresh when they return is my thinking?
James Larsen said a deal with a venue in Houston was finally completed. I’m guessing Roughnecks season tickets will transfer over to the Gamblers. While they may lose some diehards, 90% of Houston fans won’t really know the difference, nor care.