Houston Roughnecks News

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Houston Roughnecks News

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:57 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:40 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:27 pm Well, now we know that the Gamblers are going to be the surviving Houston team... so that would make sense.
Its likely due to Houston playing elsewhere this year.... ie a hub. Better to restart fresh when they return is my thinking?
James Larsen said a deal with a venue in Houston was finally completed. I’m guessing Roughnecks season tickets will transfer over to the Gamblers. While they may lose some diehards, 90% of Houston fans won’t really know the difference, nor care.
Unless some other linke exists... I did not see James Larsen report that... rather he said:

>>It appears that the league has finally secured a venue in Houston, leading to the return of the Houston Gamblers to the city. With this news in mind, it is safe to say that the XFL’s Houston Roughnecks won’t be a part of the unified league.<<
https://pfnewsroom.com/news/usflpa-info ... in-merger/

That's a supposition, not even a rumor. Of course it could be a statium deal or a Hub.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:01 am
4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:40 pm

Its likely due to Houston playing elsewhere this year.... ie a hub. Better to restart fresh when they return is my thinking?
James Larsen said a deal with a venue in Houston was finally completed. I’m guessing Roughnecks season tickets will transfer over to the Gamblers. While they may lose some diehards, 90% of Houston fans won’t really know the difference, nor care.
Unless some other linke exists... I did not see James Larsen report that... rather he said:

>>It appears that the league has finally secured a venue in Houston, leading to the return of the Houston Gamblers to the city. With this news in mind, it is safe to say that the XFL’s Houston Roughnecks won’t be a part of the unified league.<<

That's a supposition, not even a rumor. Of course it could be a statium deal or a Hub.
If Rice and TDECU are out, the only other options are NRG and Shell Energy. NRG is probably too expensive and Shell will be too busy hosting two soccer teams.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:14 am
4th&long wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:01 am

If Rice and TDECU are out, the only other options are NRG and Shell Energy. NRG is probably too expensive and Shell will be too busy hosting two soccer teams.
From Mark P per his XFLNewsHub article:

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-usf ... irmingham/

>> The Houston Conundrum: Roughnecks Out, Gamblers’ Future Uncertain

Houston, a city with a rich football history, finds itself in a unique position following the merger. The Houston Roughnecks of the XFL are no more, making way for the USFL’s Houston Gamblers. However, the Gamblers’ future in Houston is clouded with uncertainty.
Ezoic

The Gamblers, who played their games at Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium in Memphis, Tennessee, are now part of a city with an unresolved venue situation. TDECU Stadium, the former home of the Roughnecks, is slated for renovations in 2024, which leaves the Gamblers without a clear home ground in Houston. This development puts a question mark over the team’s ability to host home games and sell season tickets in the city. <<

Its one of Mark's better articles - read the full story.
yg1968
Kicker

Post by yg1968 »

Mark Thompson (former Gamblers RB) said on Twitter space that he heard that the Gamblers will be rebranded as the Roughnecks.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

yg1968 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:42 pm Mark Thompson (former Gamblers RB) said on Twitter space that he heard that the Gamblers will be rebranded as the Roughnecks.
I don't get why people think he's a credible source.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:16 pm
yg1968 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:42 pm Mark Thompson (former Gamblers RB) said on Twitter space that he heard that the Gamblers will be rebranded as the Roughnecks.
I don't get why people think he's a credible source.
I can't speak for anything he might have tweeted weeks ago, but if he's still an active player or closely involved it might stand to reason that with a possible imminent announcement individuals close to the league would have been given at least some information.