Houston Roughnecks News

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Houston Roughnecks News

Post by GDAWG »

First tweet:
The @XFLBattlehawks have acquired the rights of @max_borghi

Borghi rushed for 310 yards and 6TDs for HOU in 2023 and looks to become a major piece in St. Louis’ 24 plans

The @XFLRoughnecks also have released several players on Friday night
Second tweet:
Per @ByPatRifino
if @max_borghi is headed to @XFLBattlehawks.. makes me think there will be no team in Houston in 2024. Finding a venue being the issue. That means @XFLSeaDragons could be in the mix .. just a though #XFL #USFL #UFL
Also being reported that the Roughnecks have released Kaleb Eleby and Cole McDonald

More Roughnecks releases:

MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Houston Roughnecks News

Post by MarkNelson »

Spoke to a person close to a Roughnecks player who was released and they said they released the players so they may be picked up by other teams. I was told it did not look like the Roughnecks would survive the merge. Surprise surprise.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:32 am Spoke to a person close to a Roughnecks player who was released and they said they released the players so they may be picked up by other teams. I was told it did not look like the Roughnecks would survive the merge. Surprise surprise.
Like I posted before - IMO if they were playing a team in Houston, Roughnecks brand had a slight edge. If they play a Houston branded team in 2024 at another location - Gamblers had the edge. Or if they plan on 2025 to bring back a Houston Team slight edge to Gamblers.

Gamblers just signed Zubar back as WR too. Yesterday

So for 2024:
Does that mean Houston Gamblers in 2024 at another location?

Or does Canton get a team either H Gamblers, P Maulers or true rebrand.

Or an other XFL team like Seattle, Orlando.

We should know sometime before the end of the decade. :D :D :D
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:49 am
MarkNelson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:32 am Spoke to a person close to a Roughnecks player who was released and they said they released the players so they may be picked up by other teams. I was told it did not look like the Roughnecks would survive the merge. Surprise surprise.
Like I posted before - IMO if they were playing a team in Houston, Roughnecks brand had a slight edge. If they play a Houston branded team in 2024 at another location - Gamblers had the edge. Or if they plan on 2025 to bring back a Houston Team slight edge to Gamblers.

So for 2024:

TBH, If we don't know anything about the merger at this time next week, we may have to wait until January 2nd at the earliest.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:41 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:49 am

So for 2024:

TBH, If we don't know anything about the merger at this time next week, we may have to wait until January 2nd at the earliest.
2023 is done for news. It will get lost with Holidays
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

A supposed "insider" on Reddit thinks an announcement will come next Thursday, the 21st. While it will probably get lost in the holiday shuffle, that may actually be a good thing here. To the outsider, all they're seeing is half the league/s dissolve and the probability of a new name for the combined league. While us spring football fans know this is the best path for long-term success, the casual fan will see it as a negative and spring football failing again.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

Yeah it's looking like they definitely can't find a home. If they're willing to take a bit of a monetary hit I suspect they might try to keep Seattle as it's shown to be a pretty good market with a solid fanbase and keeps a team on the west coast.

Regardless of where the 8th team is located, I have a feeling they would (or perhaps should?) announce a Houston return for 2025, unless they do actually decide to hub the Gamblers.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

Although it is interesting to note that a bunch of players just signed LOI's with the Roughnecks (for what that's worth) and that the D.C. Defenders just released a whole bunch of players (including a few starters) also, so who knows what the heck is going on.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Rmbay wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:42 pm Yeah it's looking like they definitely can't find a home. If they're willing to take a bit of a monetary hit I suspect they might try to keep Seattle as it's shown to be a pretty good market with a solid fanbase and keeps a team on the west coast.

Regardless of where the 8th team is located, I have a feeling they would (or perhaps should?) announce a Houston return for 2025, unless they do actually decide to hub the Gamblers.
I'm thinking (hoping) Canton, not sure as Houston or Pitt/Ohio

If Houston brand idle in 2024 - bring back Houston and NJ in 2025 - that's a over 8.25% TV marketshare right there.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:35 pm A supposed "insider" on Reddit thinks an announcement will come next Thursday, the 21st. While it will probably get lost in the holiday shuffle, that may actually be a good thing here. To the outsider, all they're seeing is half the league/s dissolve and the probability of a new name for the combined league. While us spring football fans know this is the best path for long-term success, the casual fan will see it as a negative and spring football failing again.
The 21st makes sense because the MLS releases their schedule the day before, and DC plays in an MLS stadium.