XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFLPA Statement -plus Merger agreement not Finalized

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:58 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:38 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:48 pm
However - the fact they are unable to announce means things are NOT 100% set.
In other words, they lied. We're at regulatory approval, and this was when they said the plans would be finalized.

They're not.

The union is still blocking things, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

The season is starting in Easter, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

Catch. And. Kill.

I'm out.
If Ben Fischer is to be believed and Russ Brandon is going to lead the new merged league, and if it's a 5/3 XFL split on teams or at worst 4/4 as is now being reported, it seems like anything but the USFL simply taking over the XFL.
They would not bother with a merger it woud just be an asset buy out - so that was never the case.

I don't think Fox cares where the Teams are or RBC they just need to pool resources. Of course nothing is official or confirmed so the teams could chg. AR and DC were no brainers based on market size and StL based on attendance. Domes are good to to avoid weather delays, with this mix there are now 3. Birm, Memphis and SA are smaller markets. But SA has that dome and is a growing market. Birm is big FB territory. Memphis and Detroit may have ownership lined up. Fox wanted to televise games, it could have been 100% from XFL. But Fox is cost conscious. So these locals are mostly within a tight travel range and Birm/Memphis are in low cost to operate cities.

I just have a concern on TV Household coverage of the rumored cities, at just 11.3%. I think NJ is needed in 2025 along with one of these: Philly/Seattle/Orlando/Canton. Success is dependent on TV ratings.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 pm
I just have a concern on TV Household coverage of the rumored cities, at just 11.3%. I think NJ is needed in 2025 along with one of these: Philly/Seattle/Orlando/Canton. Success is dependent on TV ratings.
For what it's worth the coverage area for the "UFL" seems to sync up with the top college football conferences who really seem to have no issue getting ratings despite there basically being no strong team in the Northeast market beyond Penn State (and that's a stretch.) Yes obviously spring football doesn't have the alumni fanbase or the years of tradition of CFB but at least there's a proof of concept you can get big TV numbers without a strong local presence (or any local presence really.)

As an aside, the union talk actually makes the rumors about one of the hang ups of the FTC approval being the number of teams make some degree of sense. There's not going to be any government entity so in the weeds about spring football that they care about how many teams are in your league, but they certainly would care if there was an appearance you were attempting to cut out unionized employees in favor of non-union as part of a merger.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

nick1091 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 pm
For what it's worth the coverage area for the "UFL" seems to sync up with the top college football conferences who really seem to have no issue getting ratings despite there basically being no strong team in the Northeast market beyond Penn State (and that's a stretch.) Yes obviously spring football doesn't have the alumni fanbase or the years of tradition of CFB but at least there's a proof of concept you can get big TV numbers without a strong local presence (or any local presence really.)

As an aside, the union talk actually makes the rumors about one of the hang ups of the FTC approval being the number of teams make some degree of sense. There's not going to be any government entity so in the weeds about spring football that they care about how many teams are in your league, but they certainly would care if there was an appearance you were attempting to cut out unionized employees in favor of non-union as part of a merger.
IMO the entire delay was due to gov dragging azz - and covering their azz. Its done and # of teams wasn't impacting approval.
mnrlgrey
Kicker

Post by mnrlgrey »

In other words, they lied. We're at regulatory approval, and this was when they said the plans would be finalized.

They're not.

The union is still blocking things, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

The season is starting in Easter, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

Catch. And. Kill.

I'm out.
Isn't this argument kind of dead in the water at this point? This was a very early James Larsen and Niel Stratton rumor that doesn't seem to be reality these days. If anything the XFL seems to be in charge. I think Fox is going to be an equal equity partner in the league, even if the rumored 5/3 split happens, but it sure doesn't seem like the XFL is taking a minor position in ownership or the business/football end.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

mnrlgrey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm

They're not.

Catch. And. Kill.

I'm out.
Isn't this argument kind of dead in the water at this point? This was a very early James Larsen and Niel Stratton rumor that doesn't seem to be reality these days. If anything the XFL seems to be in charge. I think Fox is going to be an equal equity partner in the league, even if the rumored 5/3 split happens, but it sure doesn't seem like the XFL is taking a minor position in ownership or the business/football end.
Why does it seem like XFL in charge?
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

The rumor mongers don't stand a chance when the leagues are still working things out. And when I say working things out I am referring to a similar situation that occurred in late 2022 leading up to 2023 when key decisions could not be made in time to effectively market and sell tickets for the 2023 season.

It's probably time for us to relax and eat popcorn. The decisions will come when they come.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:04 pm The rumor mongers don't stand a chance when the leagues are still working things out. And when I say working things out I am referring to a similar situation that occurred in late 2022 leading up to 2023 when key decisions could not be made in time to effectively market and sell tickets for the 2023 season.

It's probably time for us to relax and eat popcorn. The decisions will come when they come.
Unfortunately you may be on to something... decision making does seem to be dragging. Like deja vu all over again.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

4th&long wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:04 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:04 pm The rumor mongers don't stand a chance when the leagues are still working things out. And when I say working things out I am referring to a similar situation that occurred in late 2022 leading up to 2023 when key decisions could not be made in time to effectively market and sell tickets for the 2023 season.

Unfortunately you may be on to something... decision making does seem to be dragging. Like deja vu all over again.
I would think most of the smaller stuff (rules, etc.) has been taken care of. They could be figuring out how to deal with the unionized players, or perhaps they're trying to secure additional funding to allow for 10 teams this year instead of next. The reaction to 8 teams hasn't been met very fondly by fans, media and perhaps the government.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

OK, I admit I lived a little too much up to my "angry fuzzball" moniker.
Stlbhawks
Rookie

Post by Stlbhawks »

mnrlgrey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:45 pm I would expect they don't have any real weight to throw around here, though its possible they could still be a new part of it. XFL players rejected this union last year so I think it's far from automatic that they have a place in the new league.
I could be completely wrong here so don’t quote me on this. Depending on who the majority owner is, the union is either thrown out, or the union stays. If the usfl is majority then the xfl would need to agree to unionize and if the xfl is the majority l then the union could be thrown out. Like I said though, I could be wrong on this. But what is more interesting in all of thi, is that it’s possible (at least I would think) that the union stays with the usfl and with Texas serving as the leagues “home state”, (which I have no clue if it would be), then it’s possible that Texas’s RTW law goes into effect then the players that are against unionizing can opt out. Once again I could be wrong on any, and all of this.