USFLPA Statement -plus Merger agreement not Finalized

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

USFLPA Statement -plus Merger agreement not Finalized

Post by 4th&long »

https://pfnewsroom.com/news/usflpa-issu ... -approval/

>> Earlier today it was reported that the USFL and XFL had completed the antitrust review process in connection with the proposed merger.

Since then, the league has put out an official statement making the news official. It was also revealed that the new combined league would be targeting a March 30th, 2024 kickoff. The statement ends by letting fans know that further details will be shared in the coming weeks.<<

Union Statement:
mnrlgrey
Kicker

Re: USFLPA Statement -plus Merger agreement not Finalized

Post by mnrlgrey »

I would expect they don't have any real weight to throw around here, though its possible they could still be a new part of it. XFL players rejected this union last year so I think it's far from automatic that they have a place in the new league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

mnrlgrey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:45 pm I would expect they don't have any real weight to throw around here, though its possible they could still be a new part of it. XFL players rejected this union last year so I think it's far from automatic that they have a place in the new league.
Likely true. And this time the vote will not be so low a turnout so its extremely possible.

I think the point they made was the merger agreement itself is not signed yet so other than March 8th nothing is formalized ie cities, # teams etc... more heavy rumors but nothing concrete
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Not sure the players union has much leverage here. Of course nobody wants to lose their jobs, but it's either half the league is unemployed or everyone is unemployed. Perhaps we'll see a team 9 practice squad like 2020 had. That would keep an extra 40 or so roster spots available
mnrlgrey
Kicker

Post by mnrlgrey »

4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:55 pm
mnrlgrey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:45 pm I would expect they don't have any real weight to throw around here, though its possible they could still be a new part of it. XFL players rejected this union last year so I think it's far from automatic that they have a place in the new league.
Likely true. And this time the vote will not be so low a turnout so its extremely possible.

I think the point they made was the merger agreement itself is not signed yet so other than March 8th nothing is formalized ie cities, # teams etc... more heavy rumors but nothing concrete
I think anything not signed is a formality at the moment. Companies don't formally merge until after regulatory approval because there's no point doing it beforehand. I would be shocked if everything isn't already in agreement about teams and cities. Perhaps something is up in the air about a stadium being available or not, but I can't imagine they are still debating where they want to go or how many teams they want.

I would agree that the rumors may not be correct (though I think the current ones about teams/cities are most likely true) but I can't imagine ownership(s) itself doesn't know
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

They don't even have a professional looking font :lol:
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

mnrlgrey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:02 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:55 pm

I think anything not signed is a formality at the moment. Companies don't formally merge until after regulatory approval because there's no point doing it beforehand. I would be shocked if everything isn't already in agreement about teams and cities. Perhaps something is up in the air about a stadium being available or not, but I can't imagine they are still debating where they want to go or how many teams they want.

I would agree that the rumors may not be correct (though I think the current ones about teams/cities are most likely true) but I can't imagine ownership(s) itself doesn't know
Agreed. And posted similar on many threads.

However - the fact they are unable to announce means things are NOT 100% set.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:48 pm
In other words, they lied. We're at regulatory approval, and this was when they said the plans would be finalized.

They're not.

The union is still blocking things, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

The season is starting in Easter, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

Catch. And. Kill.

I'm out.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

If they sacrificed half their inventory (read the 50% of which was supposed to lure investors) in the deal how is that C/K?

I don't think when Angelo Fiouris (pre and post Generals guy) was on the rampage about how the XFL couldn't sell product that was translated to mean he was gung-ho to accept a minimum year-long shutdown of the Generals to facilitate a merger seven months later.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:38 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:48 pm
In other words, they lied. We're at regulatory approval, and this was when they said the plans would be finalized.

They're not.

The union is still blocking things, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

The season is starting in Easter, which means the USFL is the surviving partner.

Catch. And. Kill.

I'm out.
If Ben Fischer is to be believed and Russ Brandon is going to lead the new merged league, and if it's a 5/3 XFL split on teams or at worst 4/4 as is now being reported, it seems like anything but the USFL simply taking over the XFL.
@gregmparks