Marc Trestman to Coach XFL Tampa Bay

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Marc Trestman to Coach XFL Tampa Bay

Post by MarkNelson »

http://xflboard.com/news/2019/03/02/mar ... tampa-bay/
Thomas Bassinger of the Tampa Bay Times has reported that Marc Trestman will be named as the Head Coach/General Manager of the Tampa Bay XFL franchise.

Trestman’s appointment will be made at a press conference which takes place at Tampa Bay’s Raymond James Stadium at 11:00 AM ET on Tuesday 5 March 2019. The XFL will be streaming the press conference live via Twitter and YouTube.

Trestman has had mixed success as a head coach in both the NFL and CFL, and most recently worked as the head coach of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. Earlier in his career he also served as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes (CFL), and Chicago Bears (NFL).

His greatest glory came as a head coach in the Canadian Football League where he led the Alouettes to two consecutive Grey Cup championships and was named CFL Coach of the Year in 2009. Later in 2017, he also lead the Toronto Argonauts to a Grey Cup championship.

A Minnesota native, in college Trestman played as a quarterback for three seasons with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, and one season with Minnesota State University Moorhead.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Marc Trestman to Coach XFL Tampa Bay

Post by MikeMitchell »

mnelson wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:13 pm http://xflboard.com/news/2019/03/02/mar ... tampa-bay/
Thomas Bassinger of the Tampa Bay Times has reported that Marc Trestman will be named as the Head Coach/General Manager of the Tampa Bay XFL franchise.

Trestman’s appointment will be made at a press conference which takes place at Tampa Bay’s Raymond James Stadium at 11:00 AM ET on Tuesday 5 March 2019. The XFL will be streaming the press conference live via Twitter and YouTube.

Trestman has had mixed success as a head coach in both the NFL and CFL, and most recently worked as the head coach of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. Earlier in his career he also served as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes (CFL), and Chicago Bears (NFL).

His greatest glory came as a head coach in the Canadian Football League where he led the Alouettes to two consecutive Grey Cup championships and was named CFL Coach of the Year in 2009. Later in 2017, he also lead the Toronto Argonauts to a Grey Cup championship.

A Minnesota native, in college Trestman played as a quarterback for three seasons with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, and one season with Minnesota State University Moorhead.
Slightly disappointed that it wasn’t Jim Leavitt. Perhaps the league is trying to avoid any controversy that would have surrounded Leavitt if he was back in Tampa.

Trestman is someone that I personally earmarked for an XFL job way back when. So he makes sense to me. It’s the league’s third offensive coach hired. Trestman’s background helps in the league’s style of play but also with the leave no stone unturned aspect of finding football talent from everywhere. Canada included.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Yeah, this isn't a sexy hire, but a perfectly respectable one. I think there's agreement the league should avoid failed NFL coaches when possible, but Trestman's long career and CFL success makes it easier to see him as less a "former NFL coach" and more of just a respected football veteran.

But it's too bad he doesn't have stronger local ties.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:36 pm Yeah, this isn't a sexy hire, but a perfectly respectable one. I think there's agreement the league should avoid failed NFL coaches when possible, but Trestman's long career and CFL success makes it easier to see him as less a "former NFL coach" and more of just a respected football veteran.

But it's too bad he doesn't have stronger local ties.
I am completely in favor of Marc Trestman being hired for one of the 8 XFL GM/Head Coach openings. He has been one of my favorites/choices since day one. I just wish that Trestman was in a different location. Like maybe New York. I really wanted Jim Leavitt in Tampa. Not just because of the USF connection and the publicity, good and bad, that the hire would have gotten. Leavitt is a really good coach. This league is made for guys like him. The whole redemption aspect. Leavitt's personality would have been great for the league. I hope that Leavitt is considered for one of the other 4 jobs, and I hope that he considers coaching in Houston or any of the other 3 spots. Based on reports, it doesn't appear that Leavitt has interest in any other spot besides Tampa.

This is the first time that I am disappointed in Oliver Luck's decision making. My personal opinion aside, We don't know the behind the scenes aspect of this. I don't know if it was a money thing or if Trestman wanted Tampa and no other job and the league had to choose between him and Leavitt.
MikeSherman
Receiver

Post by MikeSherman »

Maybe he'll be interested in the DC job. But the XFL is working overtime to project an image of decency, and Leavitt was fired from USF for hitting one of his players and then interfering with the subsequent investigation.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

MikeSherman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 am Maybe he'll be interested in the DC job. But the XFL is working overtime to project an image of decency, and Leavitt was fired from USF for hitting one of his players and then interfering with the subsequent investigation.
That probably played a factor. There's no denying it. When I listed a bunch of potential candidate for each market. I didn't list Leavitt in Tampa because of it.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:25 am
MikeSherman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 am Maybe he'll be interested in the DC job. But the XFL is working overtime to project an image of decency, and Leavitt was fired from USF for hitting one of his players and then interfering with the subsequent investigation.
That probably played a factor. There's no denying it. When I listed a bunch of potential candidate for each market. I didn't list Leavitt in Tampa because of it.
Yep. It wouldn't surprise me if they left the door open for a future role (though he's nearing his retirement years) but told him for now they needed to steer clear of any potential controversy until they've established the league's legitimacy.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

And the Trestman hire finds itself in the "Top Headlines" on ESPN's front page:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/261 ... y-xfl-team
f5293e63-e96e-4045-8868-a1e8f61708c1 (1).jpeg
f5293e63-e96e-4045-8868-a1e8f61708c1 (1).jpeg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
Just nice to see the XFL in the news ;)
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:03 pm And the Trestman hire finds itself in the "Top Headlines" on ESPN's front page:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/261 ... y-xfl-team

Just nice to see the XFL in the news ;)
Personally, I thought that Marc Trestman came off the best thus far in his introductory press conference. He did a great job repping the league and what it stands for. He's a smart guy for sure.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Maybe it's just me but Trestman looks weird without wearing a hat.

:)